Is this the worst "professional " review of Crysis 2 ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/04/sage-reviews-cry2/

I kind of liked this site, but this is a really bad review.

Even his intro comment before the review shows how biased he is.

I don't know if the intentional misspelling of "Crysis" is pretentious, stupid, or pretentiously stupid.

He seems to be mad at Crysis for being a PC exclusive too. :lol:...

They made the game from the ground up for consoles, and he thinks that consoles got a bad port or something.

Angry Joe still does good reviews though.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts

I just watched his review. He raises up valid points although I sense a little bias. It definitely isn't the worst professional review, or should I say professorial review ;)

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
What was wrong with it? Didn't seem bad to me.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GeneralShowzer

I just watched his review. He raises up valid points although I sense a little bias. It definitely isn't the worst professional review, or should I say professorial review ;)

scar-hawk
:P Fixed And this guy is very biased. He says the voice acting is bad, and then he brings up some random radio chatter as proof, as like we should laugh at the game for bad voice acting... The voice acting is grade A, there is no bad voice actor in any of the key characters, or even extra characters like random soldiers are good. Then he says the music is bad, which is just a lie, the music in this game is one of the better ones. Then he says that the nano-suit is useless, and that this game turns into an ordinary cover based shooter, which is just preposterous. It's as if he rushed the game without exploring all that it has to offer. It's far from it. it's sad to think that people like this effect the sales for the game.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I admire the cast for putting so much soul in their awful dialogue. But the dude that's preaching on the radios you find scattered around has the most annoying voice and delivery in the history of gaming, and that is a fact.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#6 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

A little ignorant when he was talking about the PC but other then that I didn't see anything wrong with the review. Not that I fully agree with most of his views but just don't expect every review to say positive things about Crysis 2.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GeneralShowzer

Ah, common. How much biased can you have to say

"Skip the mediocre campaign, but rent it for the MP"

I'm sorry, what? :o I know this guy,

I've visited the site, he never touched a gaming PC.

How did he get the " Pretty yet completely mediocre'" for Crysis. He never played it.

His bias and jealousy for Crysis was so big, it rubbed off on his Crysis 2 review. Fascinating.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

It was bad...

What bothers me about Crysis 2 reviews is that all of the sudden everybody says they've played the first one, they clearly did not. Those comments, that it's all graphics no gameplay seens to be a myth that became true after so much repetition.

Goes to show to Crytek that what's inherently problematic with their game design is the lack of mental effort of players. Does not matter if they try, people will dismiss it entirely simply because they aren't willing to escape from CoD formula.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
"I don't know if the intentional misspelling of "Crysis" is pretentious, stupid, or pretentiously stupid." Horrible just horrible... Would he rather have it spelled "Crisis" correctly? Just doesn't have the same appeal.. and it's just a video game. He's taking it way...too seriously for just a title. I think Crytek threw in Cry, hence their developer name and Far Cry as well. It's more or less, something they've been carrying over.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

The fact he mocks it for being called Crysis before the review even starts just says it all really.

He clearly doesn't have the most basic grasp of what the point of Crysis is. It really looked to me like he has never played the first game... and surprise surprise, as confirmed in Showzer's post above, he hasn't! Which would be fine.... but if he didn't play Crysis, how exactly does that qualify him to say "Crysis looked great but it was rubbish". And then later go on to say "Crysis 2 isn't much better"!

The whole thing just reeks of bias. Awful review.

trodeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 trodeback
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

Well I don't think the review is the worst ever but I do agree with the rating even if I don't agree with the reasons he gave the rating. I personally do not think the game is as good as the original. They cut out some stuff I really enjoyed in the original SP campaign. There are less suit mechanics to play around with, namely the Maximum Strength. There is less time in vehicles. The playing field seems much more linear and less vast like the original. The hardest difficulty was too easy as well. It was a good game don't get me wrong but when you make a sequel to an amazing PC FPS you have to implement the stuff that made the first one so good.

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

I agree with most of his points. He brings up some good ones. and is right when he says it should be a rental.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Its his opinion...no matter how flawed you think it is, its still his opinion.

taxonomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#14 taxonomic
Member since 2009 • 1107 Posts

Well, some people just shouldn't be writing or gaming. This fellow is both.

I've worked for sites big and small and everything in between, and if I ever saw unprofessional critiquing I'd call people on it.

...though I think this guy is just a troll.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Its his opinion...no matter how flawed you think it is, its still his opinion.

JangoWuzHere
True, and he certainly has gotten everyone's attention it seems. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 1076751
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts

Screw you guys, I thought the game was awesome.

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

TBH, I only disagreed with him on his opinions on the first game, and the snippet above the video....

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3780/Crysis-2-Review.htm I accept your challenge. An equally terrible review full of bias, he gave the game a score of 50/100. THis one crappy review dragged down the score for all three platforms on Metacritic It's like he couldn't keep his dislike over the game coming to consoles separate from the actual gameplay.
andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

He was complaining about the way he was playing the game though, and he also says it was weird only being able to carry 2 weapons at once, as if he hasnt played an fps in the past 10 years.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Sages reviews are usually weak. For someone who is called the Sage he appears to know very little about gaming.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#22 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I really don't think this guy has ever played Crysis for any extensive period of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
One of the big gripes I have of Crysis 2 is the passive character.. I normally don't care such things like for Half-Life.. But the things that happen to the character, the questions that have to be asked and the fact you impersonate some one else for a long time of the game is infuriating how passive the character is..
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
all i heard was that he didn't like crysis because it was dull. he obviously doesn't like nonlinear games in general, then. sigh.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

One of the big gripes I have of Crysis 2 is the passive character.. I normally don't care such things like for Half-Life.. But the things that happen to the character, the questions that have to be asked and the fact you impersonate some one else for a long time of the game is infuriating how passive the character is.. sSubZerOo

I noticed this as well.

I think the reason it works with Half-Life (and STALKER) is because those games are designed to make you feel like you're not playing a character, but that you actually are the character. Having a passive character is a fundamental feature in games like that. When it's obvious that you're playing a character, the illusion is shattered.

With Crysis, you're made very aware from the start that you're playing a character, because the game relies on throwing Hollywood-esque cutscenes and video sequences at you every 5 minutes... So why have Crytek pointlessly attempted to blur the lines between character and player by making him passive?

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

I stoped watching his review when he said that Crysis is all graphics and no gameplay.

Guess his review is based of forum trolls or console fanboys who haven't played it either.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
The internet. Where everyone can voice their opinion as if it matters, then get a webcam and double the effect. Anyway there is nothing wrong about rambling about the game 'without having a clue of the first', only it should be clearly established.