Is this Ram Compatible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frizzyman0292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 frizzyman0292
Member since 2007 • 2855 Posts

Im confused Im putting the final touches on my new build and it figures that Newegg would all the sudden stop selling the Corsair Dominator GT 4GB DDR3 1866 and now only has 2133 in the 4GB kit. But my motherboard the Asus Crosshair IV AM3 doesn't say its compatible with DDR3 2133? But I'v heard before that sometimes it could be compatible but it just doesn't say. If it matters the processor I am going to be using is the Amd X4 955 BE. I would just buy it somewhere else but im financing the parts through Newegg so I dont have any other options.

Here is a link to the Ram and the Motherboard.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

This would a safer buy I think, because you save some money whle not getting ram thats faster then what your motherboard can handle, faster memory will usually under clockhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145319&cm_re=4gb_ddr_3-_-20-145-319-_-Product

frizzyman0292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 frizzyman0292
Member since 2007 • 2855 Posts

This would a safer buy I think, because you save some money whle not getting ram thats faster then what your motherboard can handle, faster memory will usually under clockhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145319&cm_re=4gb_ddr_3-_-20-145-319-_-Product

04dcarraher
Thanks but im pretty deadset on getting the Dominator GT Line because I want the intercooler and im going for a color scheme.
Snotweasel530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Snotweasel530
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

Here's what Corsair has to say about their memory in that board. The RAM you're looking at doesn't seem to be officially supported. From what I can gather, Asus put out 2 QVL's for that board. One 4 core, one 6 core, so being dead set might make you dead broke!

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

You will be able to use those memory sticks, but not even close to those speeds. Get DDR3-1600 CL6 sticks instead, like the Mushkin Redlines. AMD's IMC won't be able to handle DDR3-2133 at all.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
Not being officially support / QVL isn't a big deal usually, just means they haven't tested it. I know with DDR/DDR2 you could use faster ram than your motherboard was rated, it just runs as fast as your board would support.
Snotweasel530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Snotweasel530

Not being officially support / QVL isn't a big deal usually, just means they haven't tested it. I know with DDR/DDR2 you could use faster ram than your motherboard was rated, it just runs as fast as your board would support.Captain__Tripps

Im usually not one to say something trite but, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]Not being officially support / QVL isn't a big deal usually, just means they haven't tested it. I know with DDR/DDR2 you could use faster ram than your motherboard was rated, it just runs as fast as your board would support.Snotweasel530

Im usually not one to say something trite but, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should

What is the problem using a faster part in a slower motherboard? It will just run at whatever ram the motherboard is rated at. At least this was the case with DDR/DDR2 ram. If you ever upgrade your motherboard you will be able to use the faster capabilities of your ram, not that it will make a whole lot of difference...
Snotweasel530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snotweasel530

[QUOTE="Snotweasel530"]

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]Not being officially support / QVL isn't a big deal usually, just means they haven't tested it. I know with DDR/DDR2 you could use faster ram than your motherboard was rated, it just runs as fast as your board would support.Captain__Tripps

What is the problem using a faster part in a slower motherboard? It will just run at whatever ram the motherboard is rated at. At least this was the case with DDR/DDR2 ram. If you ever upgrade your motherboard you will be able to use the faster capabilities of your ram, not that it will make a whole lot of difference...

I wasn't implying you're going to run into a problem 100% of the time by straying from what the manufacturer's recommend, I was just trying to convey that in my experience, mobo/ram combinations can be very temperamental.