Is this graphics card compatible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kiwi_Akimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kiwi_Akimbo
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

Well I'm looking to upgrade my GC since my current one is garbage. the graphics card i plan on installing to my PC is the Ati Radeon 5770HD it is cheaper than most GC and it can run modern games. now my question is if my pc supports this kind of GC since I'm not too handy with computer hardware. Now if u find out it won't work plz give me a suggestion THANX :D :D :D (If i haven't given sufficient information tell me... thnk u) also my PSU is 450W

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-intel-pentium-e5400-2-70ghz-computer-p6402f-p6402f/10141271.aspx?path=8130d1b0f56577291f87bcae15c0477cen02

PC

zhttp://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5316156&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

GC

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

It should work fine.

Kiwi_Akimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kiwi_Akimbo

I'm still unsure since the 5770HD is pretty huge even though its smaller than most 5000 series for ATI. And I'm still confused on how it will physically fit in my pc or if it even has the amount of empty slots to use it...

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 caseystryker

The computer you posted has 1 PCI Express x16 slot which is all you need for a 5770. As far as size, that I'm not sure of. What are the dimensions of the case? I managed to fit a 11inch Sapphire 5830 into a mid tower case.

Kiwi_Akimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kiwi_Akimbo

My Desktop is around 13.5inches(height) by 14inches(length) 6.5 inches(width)with a couple cm extra. but i'm just measuring the general size with a ruler on my pc. thanx for replying to my earlier comment :D

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 caseystryker

You should also make sure that your PSU has the proper PCI-E power connetors as well.

Kiwi_Akimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kiwi_Akimbo

Oh yah is my motherboard compatible with my GC thanx man you have been a real help!!! (especially since I'm new to all this computer stuff)

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

I doubt it... that card needs at least a 450W PSU and I don't think your computer has one.

Kiwi_Akimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kiwi_Akimbo

Then do u know how to check how power supply unit? thanx man :D

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 desertpython
Member since 2006 • 1277 Posts

Don't bother, that CPU is sloooow, the chipset is obsolete and the PSU is likely a cheap and nasty 400w model; I would either build a new PC or save up and buy a proper PC.

Kiwi_Akimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kiwi_Akimbo

well w/e the case I'm still gonna use the same graphics card too build my new pc ,but if possible i want to keep my current pc. idc how much stuff i must replace before my pc can run this ,but i must try :D i just like my PC and i just can't seem to part from it :)

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

Don't bother, that CPU is sloooow, the chipset is obsolete and the PSU is likely a cheap and nasty 400w model; I would either build a new PC or save up and buy a proper PC.

desertpython
That E5400 2,7ghz should run most games with ease, and myself can't judge what PSU it got by the link he provided. :) A E5400 with a HD5770 should run on most 400w tho i never reconmend anything but good quality PSU's. Why would you call the s775 obsolete?, it still got pleanty of life as long as AMD is selling the ph II/ Athl II for AM3.
desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 desertpython

[QUOTE="desertpython"]

swehunt

That E5400 2,7ghz should run most games with ease, and myself can't judge what PSU it got by the link he provided. :) A E5400 with a HD5770 should run on most 400w tho i never reconmend anything but good quality PSU's. Why would you call the s775 obsolete?, it still got pleanty of life as long as AMD is selling the ph II/ Athl II for AM3.

The 775 socket is incomparable to AM3 - which now supports six-core CPU's. It has been entirely replaced by 1156 and 1366.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

[QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="desertpython"]

desertpython

The 775 socket is incomparable to AM3 - which now supports six-core CPU's. It has been entirely replaced by 1156 and 1366.

The Core2 and s775 is fully comparable to AM3 and the ph2 lineup. The Phenom II was not intended to compete to the nehalem but rather the Core2 architecture and they throw blow's given the same clock, nehalem plays in it's entire own leauge and does still wait on competition, rigth now two years after it's release it's still all without any competition in the highest end. Both s1156 and 1366 fill a higher standard than the s775 does but the s775 with core2 will fare well as long theres ph2 as they perform much alike.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I hail to your post swehunt.
Kiwi_Akimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kiwi_Akimbo

Now I'm somewhat lost in the thread whether the graphics card will work or not, or if this thread as gone off-topic... can someone simply tell me yes or no and if not tell me what i need to replace in my desktop to run it

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 desertpython

[QUOTE="desertpython"]

[QUOTE="swehunt"] That E5400 2,7ghz should run most games with ease, and myself can't judge what PSU it got by the link he provided. :) A E5400 with a HD5770 should run on most 400w tho i never reconmend anything but good quality PSU's. Why would you call the s775 obsolete?, it still got pleanty of life as long as AMD is selling the ph II/ Athl II for AM3.swehunt

The Core2 and s775 is fully comparable to AM3 and the ph2 lineup. The Phenom II was not intended to compete to the nehalem but rather the Core2 architecture and they throw blow's given the same clock, nehalem plays in it's entire own leauge and does still wait on competition, rigth now two years after it's release it's still all without any competition in the highest end. Both s1156 and 1366 fill a higher standard than the s775 does but the s775 with core2 will fare well as long theres ph2 as they perform much alike.

Either way, LGA775 is obsolete - AM3 or no.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

Now I'm somewhat lost in the thread whether the graphics card will work or not, or if this thread as gone off-topic... can someone simply tell me yes or no and if not tell me what i need to replace in my desktop to run it

Kiwi_Akimbo

You didn't tell us what your PSU is. Look inside and it says on the side of the PSu how many watts it is. If you need to replace it, likely you can't because I don't think ATX size PSUs usually can fit into a prebuilt computer. If it did you'd have to rewire the whole inside of your computer. I'm pretty sure you're screwed till you build one.

Kiwi_Akimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kiwi_Akimbo

well my PSU is 450W but just to make sure i rote it on the top thread just to make sure