Is there any way to play a modded Fallout 3 on Windows 8.1?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I have Fallout 3 and it is probably one of my favorite games of all time. After watching Mad Max Fury Road I wanted to get back into the game, but now I have a Windows 8.1 machine. I have only about 10 mods or so and the game starts up fine, but every 15-20 mintues, the game crashes back to my desktop. I tried the Windows 8 fix, in which you edit the Fallout ini which I have already done. Besides that, is there any way to keep this game from crashing non-stop?

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

I can play Fallout 3 and New Vegas just fine on Windows 8.1 for hours at a time with over a hundred mods on both. Are you sure the "quad-core fix" (I think this is what you mean by windows 8 fix, if not it will most likely solve your problem) ini saved and was not overwritten? Every time the auto graphics detect kicks in, it creates a new ini. So if you changed something to trigger the auto-detect, it might be gone. If it is there, try disabling all mods and try enabling them one at a time, you might have a conflict or something.

Also, if you installed texture packs you may be hitting a ram limitation wall as Fallout 3 only uses 3GB of ram by default. In that case, look on the nexus for the Fallout 3 4GB mod, which should help significantly.

At any rate, yes, it can be done. Just keep at it. Reinstall and apply the quad-core fix to the ini and nothing else, if all else fails. That should get it playable. Though Fallout 3 is notorious for crashing, you shouldn't crash that often.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

I have Fallout 3 and it is probably one of my favorite games of all time. After watching Mad Max Fury Road I wanted to get back into the game, but now I have a Windows 8.1 machine. I have only about 10 mods or so and the game starts up fine, but every 15-20 mintues, the game crashes back to my desktop. I tried the Windows 8 fix, in which you edit the Fallout ini which I have already done. Besides that, is there any way to keep this game from crashing non-stop?

Do you use something like nexus mod manager?

It could be crashing because you encounter one of the mods trying to referring to something that has been deleted by something else. Or one of the mods require another mod to work properly.

Can't you set the game to compatibility mode for Win 7?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@horgen said:
@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

Do you use something like nexus mod manager?

It could be crashing because you encounter one of the mods trying to referring to something that has been deleted by something else. Or one of the mods require another mod to work properly.

Can't you set the game to compatibility mode for Win 7?

I am using the Nexus Mod Manager. The only mods I am using are as follows: Fallout 3 Wander's Edition, Mart's Mutant Mod, Fallout 3 Reanimated, Project Beauty, NMC's Texture Pack, Fellout, Energy Visuals Enhanced and energy weapons enhanced, and last, but not least, enhanced weather. Not a lot of mods compared to Morrowinds 40, Oblivion's 80 and Skyrim's 120. (the # of mods I am using for those games)

From my understanding, Fallout 3 was not made for Windows 7 or Windows 8 because there are some major compatibility issues. You have to go through a special process and I think there must be one of the mods causing the crashes, however, I have heard of people playing Fallout 3 on a Windows 8 PC that is heavily modded and it works fine for them. Do I need to install these mods in a particular order? Also I have compatibility mode set for Windows Vista Service Pack 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: I have no experience with Fallout 3 on PC. Have played Fallout New Vegas a lot, but guess they did make it for Win 7.

Do any of the mods lists known compatibility with Win8?

My only suggestion is to deactivate all mods, then active one by one until you experience the problem again. My knowledge about modding is limited and I only got experience with Skyrim.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@horgen said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: I have no experience with Fallout 3 on PC. Have played Fallout New Vegas a lot, but guess they did make it for Win 7.

Do any of the mods lists known compatibility with Win8?

My only suggestion is to deactivate all mods, then active one by one until you experience the problem again. My knowledge about modding is limited and I only got experience with Skyrim.

Yeah if I keep having problems, I guess I will just have to settle with New Vegas instead.