Is the new Xcom game worth the purchase? Better than the others?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Eliminatorcanon
Eliminatorcanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Eliminatorcanon
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
The new X-com game looks TERRIFIC, but looks can be deceiving. Is the game as great as it seems to be from the videos and looks? How does it compare to other Xcom type game and games in the genre? It's been awhile since I played a GOOD in depth looking game such as the new Xcom. Just tell me about the gameplay and if it works, how good it is, and if it's better than past and current competition.
Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

doesn't look the part for me, i'm more of the running and gunning type. i just can't get into slow paced games

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

doesn't look the part for me, i'm more of the running and gunning type. i just can't get into slow paced games

Liquid_
It's by no means slow. TC, there is a Demo available, have a go.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I've never played previous XCOM games, so I can't make that comparison.. but so far the game is very fun. I can't think of any current competition for a turn-based squad-based tactical shooter, so I think it's a breath of fresh air in the current crop of games.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

well im loving it alot, it's my new crack. i have stopped playing all other games completely because of it. personally i cant get enough of it. i uploaded a bit of gameplay here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2VRggM5mQ&feature=plcp

thats very early in the game. my soldiers are almost all elites now :D

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

I've never played previous XCOM games, so I can't make that comparison.. but so far the game is very fun. I can't think of any current competition for a turn-based squad-based tactical shooter, so I think it's a breath of fresh air in the current crop of games.

MyopicCanadian

Probably Disciples 3. I loved Disciples 2 but just couldn't get into part 3 for some reason.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rage010101

as far as gameplay, think of it as a perfect successor to old xcom. the graphics look really nice, animations on how enemies and xcom soldiers move/attack/weapon swap/die/etc look very nice. the gameplay itself depends on your speed. xcom is a fresh of breath air with a industry full of nothing but typical shooters/platformters/fighters/etc. combat is all very much xcom. the amount of customization is very satisfying. lots of choices, that make your soldiers feel powerful the more you grow. management when it comes to your base is in my opinion more fun than older xcom. for people who pre-ordered like myself, you get even bigger levels of custmization. look at my video in previous post to see what i mean, those armors are for pre-orders only. the music is very nice and audio from weapon fire and aliens immerse you. the destructible debris makes combat very challenging and satisfying.

one thing you cant do is manipulate time to your liking like in older xcom, but really this doesnt affect anything, if anything i like how time passes by in this new xcom. lastly, u dont have to buy ammo anymore, you just reload whenever, but it takes up a turn when you do. older things like alien autopsy, alien interrogation, interceptor combat, and alot of older things are still there, but it has alot of new stuff to offer. think of it as a new modern better xcom. at least thats how i view it. this is my GOTY so far to be honest.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

Probably Disciples 3. I loved Disciples 2 but just couldn't get into part 3 for some reason.

FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Liquid_"]

FelipeInside

It's by no means slow. TC, there is a Demo available, have a go.

tried the demo. again it isn't for me.

C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

I haven't really looked at reviews... But is this game like an RPG/TPS hybrid? I glanced over the review here and they mentioned bonding with your troops and really getting invested with them so it hurts if they die (which is permanent)... So are there like stats/levels/equipment/customization/etc and all that? Or is it just a straight TPS where you run along a narrow path unlocking things as you go with one set path?

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
It's a fantastic game. It may not have the longevity of the original due to premade maps, but everything else has been improved on. My favorite improvements are the squad customization, tons of dialogue/movies, and varying mission types. I think they scale the map difficulty/complexity as the game continues, but the early maps are really linear. They should have just spent the extra time working on a map generator rather than wasting their time hand crafting maps. It feels like the map designer was asleep at the wheel for most of maps I've played on. The mouse controls are also really clunky.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#11 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Awesome game in itself, never played the original. People who do not like this game because they are comparing it to the original are missing out. Reminds me of people who thought the LOTR movies sucked because they were comparing them to the books.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vfibsux

I haven't really looked at reviews... But is this game like an RPG/TPS hybrid? I glanced over the review here and they mentioned bonding with your troops and really getting invested with them so it hurts if they die (which is permanent)... So are there like stats/levels/equipment/customization/etc and all that? Or is it just a straight TPS where you run along a narrow path unlocking things as you go with one set path?

C2N2
Very accurate, it makes you really think out your tactics before applying them and it is very rewarding when your guys make it through a mission alive, esp a tough one. You can custom loadout each mission, you can change their names to whatever you want, at a certain rank they get a nickname you can change to whatever makes it easier for you to identify them, you choose from skill trees as they rank (level) up. The different "classes" really compliment each other well and seem to fit together like a puzzle working together.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

Awesome game in itself, never played the original. People who do not like this game because they are comparing it to the original are missing out. Reminds me of people who thought the LOTR movies sucked because they were comparing them to the books.

vfibsux
I thought the movies were actually BETTER than the books.
Avatar image for Eliminatorcanon
Eliminatorcanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Eliminatorcanon
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
So far it's the best game I have played this 8 year long gen. So far. Usually games end up doing stupid things that end up killing the ecitement so we will see.
madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
I have seen some live stream footage and it does look like it is better then everything that came after Xcom apocalypse (which i think is still good). Not sure if you tried extraterrestrials but that game modded is also pretty nice. Anyway, i think the new one is worth buying, its just that i dont play enough games to spent 50 euro on it.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

FelipeInside

Yeah I think the movies did a really great job of adapting and even improving the source material, adding things that were so subtle you'd think you remembered them in the book, but they tied things together much better then the book did.

Anyways, never played the originals but I am buying this tonight based on heavy recommendations and my thirst for a new type of game that isn't a freaking shooter. I mean I love shooters, but too many FPS games come out these days.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rage010101

So far it's the best game I have played this 8 year long gen. So far. Usually games end up doing stupid things that end up killing the ecitement so we will see.Eliminatorcanon

thats almost exactly how i feel. xcom: EU is such a nice change of gaming. personally i cant wait for dlc/expansions/sequels/etc

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="vfibsux"]

SPYDER0416

Yeah I think the movies did a really great job of adapting and even improving the source material, adding things that were so subtle you'd think you remembered them in the book, but they tied things together much better then the book did.

Anyways, never played the originals but I am buying this tonight based on heavy recommendations and my thirst for a new type of game that isn't a freaking shooter. I mean I love shooters, but too many FPS games come out these days.

Umm do you remember reading the books? The books make a lot more sense than the movies. The movies also left out a bunch of characters and made a lot of changes to the story. I'm not saying the movies are bad since I love the movies too.

The only movie that I found to be better than the books was the Godfather.

As for Xcom, I tried the demo but, will probably wait for it to go on sale before I buy.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Id say its defintely worth the purchase.

I am liking it quite a bit, prolly my favorite game that came out this year, so far. I haven't played Dishonored yet. (though its at the top of my Steam wishlist)

I have not played any previous XCOM games, but this is great, because I think it is like restarting the franchise. (enemy unknown) This would be the first. ( Timeline wise, as is my understanding)

I just would like to know if there is mod support for the game, or planned for it. I could imagine a C&C (GDI-NOD) squad based style full conversion mod for this game.

There isn't much I can find with it that I don't like, asside from maybe the lack of the ability to change the color of the primary/secondary weapons.

I pre-ordered 3 games in the past several years. (and they were all relatively recent)

1. SWTOR (fun game, I liked it, but they broke it, not worth the monthly fee)

2. Diablo 3 (again fun game, too much hand holding, which makes it a little disappointing in many areas, not really worth $60)

3. XCOM (by far my most satisfied of game pre-orders, I even got Civ 5 with it)

ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

it depends completely on you.

for me, it was not worth the purchase. I played it only 1 hour and just gave up.

it's a corridor type of game, no real tactical choices, no inventory, no free fire mode, aliens seem to do impossible and unrealistic shots.

your team does impossible and unrealistic misses. example: guy with sniper rifle on top of bus has 75% to hit out of cover alien 10 meters away, right

example2 : heavy with a light machine has 75% to hit alien exactly 3 meters in front of him, he missed and alien crit one shotted him

I am 100% sure the game would have been a lot better for most, if they just didn't put the xcom tag on it.

sure you can reload but artificial AI is anoying as hell.

BUT if you can install it and enjoy it , good for you.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Solid gameplay and no random map generation.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Never played the first game..Im enjoying this a lot..The controls are clunkish at first but you get used to them..Plenty to customize an plenty of add ons later on..The base is kind of cool..There is a story in there to enjoy..Love firaxes games any how..Never thought id enjoy this as much as i have..Pick it up its a good buy..One of my fav games of the year so far atm..

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Battlescape portion is good. The Geoscape portion, not so much. Game is plagued with bugs currently, too. Shivs (mech-tanks), currently, doesn't always work, for example. Others have reported more serious things such as screen lockups, but I haven't had any of those. Sniper Perk of Sensor Grenades seem to be glitched, too. As well, as the Flush from Cover shots for Assaults class. And I never got an Assault to level up this high, but I hear the automatic Overwatch for Assaults when enemies get within 4 squares doesn't always activate, too. (it either has a 50/50 percentage of working, or it's just glitched. Frankly, I feel it should happen 100% of the time instead of given a percentage; so I'm hoping it's just glitched.)

Normal mode is easy, Next difficulty level is a huge jump in difficulty from normal. And where missing at 70%, becomes common. Also, the random Generator Seeds are saved with the saved game. So to re randomize it, you have to save before the mission starts and reload that save game. Or, do something totally different such as don't shoot your gun, or else if you rely on reloading, your shot hit/miss results will be exactly the same. Developers said they did this on purpose to keep people from relying on saves to get that perfect shot. Civ 5 is done the same way, but can be turned off. This game doesn't have that expanded options, but who knows, they may add it in a future patch or something.

Geoscape portion of the game is what really rapes you. Panic levels get out of control and if you don't have the Panic in control by month 4, you'll likely end up losing. You don't really play the Geoscape portion like you did with the original. You're basically at the mercy of menu pop up screens, that tell you when you can participate in battles. Where as the original you actually played in the Geoscape part of the game, and could see the Aliens attempting invasions and with the decoder you could see the mission types they were attempting. On this newer one, you get none of that. You just get handed mission randomly, and completely out of your control. And if you succeed then the panic level decreases for that one country but increase just about everywhere else. So, eventually you will have to deploy satellites to swing panic levels in your favor. But satellites take lots of resources to build. Anyway Panic levels aren't easy to keep in check in early game, and 10x more so for classic mode. So, more often than not the Geoscape portion defeats you, not the Battles.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
The original had more replay value. This one is like Gears of War met Company of Heroes and birthed a baby with downs. The new generation might like it because its something other than Call of Duty. Old fans should be disappointed that they took all the best parts of the game out to make it accessible for consoles, turning it into a hold your hand style of game. Most of the bugs in the game are related to using the Mouse as a controller, the game was designed to run best on a console controller. Yeah ... another classic PC game turned to garbage for $$$.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

as far as gameplay, think of it as a perfect successor to old xcom. the graphics look really nice, animations on how enemies and xcom soldiers move/attack/weapon swap/die/etc look very nice. the gameplay itself depends on your speed. xcom is a fresh of breath air with a industry full of nothing but typical shooters/platformters/fighters/etc. combat is all very much xcom. the amount of customization is very satisfying. lots of choices, that make your soldiers feel powerful the more you grow. management when it comes to your base is in my opinion more fun than older xcom. for people who pre-ordered like myself, you get even bigger levels of custmization. look at my video in previous post to see what i mean, those armors are for pre-orders only. the music is very nice and audio from weapon fire and aliens immerse you. the destructible debris makes combat very challenging and satisfying.

one thing you cant do is manipulate time to your liking like in older xcom, but really this doesnt affect anything, if anything i like how time passes by in this new xcom. lastly, u dont have to buy ammo anymore, you just reload whenever, but it takes up a turn when you do. older things like alien autopsy, alien interrogation, interceptor combat, and alot of older things are still there, but it has alot of new stuff to offer. think of it as a new modern better xcom. at least thats how i view it. this is my GOTY so far to be honest.

Rage010101
As much as I'm enjoying EU, it is in no way better than the original. In a FEW areas there's been improvement, but there's also been steps back. Still a good game but not as good as the first.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vfibsux
The original had more replay value. This one is like Gears of War met Company of Heroes and birthed a baby with downs. The new generation might like it because its something other than Call of Duty. Old fans should be disappointed that they took all the best parts of the game out to make it accessible for consoles, turning it into a hold your hand style of game. Most of the bugs in the game are related to using the Mouse as a controller, the game was designed to run best on a console controller. Yeah ... another classic PC game turned to garbage for $$$.SKaREO
Don't lump all of us older gamers into your mindset, I will decide for myself what I should be disappointed with.
c4l1d3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 c4l1d3n
Member since 2011 • 157 Posts

It's been spectacular so far, worth it imo.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

The original had more replay value. This one is like Gears of War met Company of Heroes and birthed a baby with downs. The new generation might like it because its something other than Call of Duty. Old fans should be disappointed that they took all the best parts of the game out to make it accessible for consoles, turning it into a hold your hand style of game. Most of the bugs in the game are related to using the Mouse as a controller, the game was designed to run best on a console controller. Yeah ... another classic PC game turned to garbage for $$$.SKaREO

It is certainly simpler and more streamlined than the original...but it still retains more than enough depth to be a very satisfying tactical game, and it did a great job of trimming out many of the tedious elements of the original (which was, contrary to popular belief, not perfect).

Let's not pretend that the new one is garbage - both games attempt the same concept in very different ways, and both are great at what they do (bugs aside).

Also, out of interest: how are you finding Impossible Ironman mode? I'm guessing that it must be a total walk in the park for you, given that it was designed for the Call of Duty generation...