Is the Elder Scrolls Online beta worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mckenz_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mckenz_a
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Finally got two keys in an email after months of nothing. Should I even bother downloading it or should I just give it to my friend?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

If your curious enough to ask the question then download the beta and give it a try when its up. Only you playing a game will give you the answer so... Keep a key your self and play it.

Its a dumb question if I am honest with you... Basically you just asked is a something free worth it?... Erm yes.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

YOU'RE NOT WHO I THOUGHT YOU WERE!

*grumbles* Taking rage's pic.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Just try it, I think its pretty good. I will not jump on at day 1 because of the trend of new MMOs. Release the game for 60 bucks and 2 months later the game is 20.... Try the beta out.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Pick up Guild wars 2.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@

@uninspiredcup said:

Pick up Guild wars 2.

Only if you can get GW2 for less than a dollar though....

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

I'd buy that for a dollar.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@mckenz_a said:

Finally got two keys in an email after months of nothing. Should I even bother downloading it or should I just give it to my friend?

Well personally I could never get into any of the Elder Scrolls games (tried Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim), but for some reason I had good fun with what I played in the beta.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

It does have a cool class system and interesting crafting, but beyond that it's pretty generic. That being said I did think it was well done, it's worth downloading for free and trying out IMO.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

Try it and then come back and ramble about how bad it is.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I think The Elder Scrolls Online fantastic. As far the beta, there are two going on at the moment. The closed weekend beta testing is normally used for getting a bunch of players into the game for a "second opinion" as well as stress testing. Just like the upcoming beta weekend most of the time the players don't usually get access to the most recent update or patch. Also there is usually a limited amount of areas you can visit and a lower level cap.

Then there's the private testing servers which is hard to get in. These testers have full access to the game's current state. In fact, the recent patch this week for the PTS not only showcased Zenimax's sense of urgency, but the short turn around from player feedback. Force Strategy showed off the new collision detection for NPC enemies in a video recently.

Sadly, the current patch notes that's been all over the headlines this week for v0.18 will not be apart of this weekends beta unlike the private servers. So we'll be using v0.17.1.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#12  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@mckenz_a said:

Well personally I could never get into any of the Elder Scrolls games (tried Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim), but for some reason I had good fun with what I played in the beta.

Because it only resembles an Elder Scrolls game.....so really I think your statement speaks volumes.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@FelipeInside said:

@mckenz_a said:

Because it only resembles an Elder Scrolls game.....so really I think your statement speaks volumes.

saying it resembles TES i think is a stretch :P Its lore and such is so butchered it's barely recognizable

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

@soolkiki said:

Hahahahahaha I'm probably the only one who got that!

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

I think its fun, just need a beta invite that's not on the weekend when I am working

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

Is it just for one weekend? if so it's not worth it. What a waste of download and installation.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BSC14

@chriscoolguy said:

Is it just for one weekend? if so it's not worth it. What a waste of download and installation.

Not really, if you have never played it, it might give you an idea of what the game is like and if it's what you're looking for.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vfibsux

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@FelipeInside said:

@mckenz_a said:

saying it resembles TES i think is a stretch :P Its lore and such is so butchered it's barely recognizable

resemble; have qualities or features, esp. those of appearance, in common with (someone or something); look or seem like.

Semantics......I am sure we agree on this.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

download it, it's free to try...

played 3 hours or so and have no interest going back and even if/when it crash and burn and go F2P i most likely still won't go back

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k2theswiss

@FelipeInside said:

@mckenz_a said:

well game is basically living off the "elder scrolls" name and art syle of npcs. nothing more

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vfibsux

@k2theswiss said:

@FelipeInside said:

@mckenz_a said:

well game is basically living off the "elder scrolls" name and art syle of npcs. nothing more

True story.

mckenz_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mckenz_a
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

If your curious enough to ask the question then download the beta and give it a try when its up. Only you playing a game will give you the answer so... Keep a key your self and play it.

Its a dumb question if I am honest with you... Basically you just asked is a something free worth it?... Erm yes.

STDs can be free and I'd rather not have those.. but I get what you're saying. I just don't want to waste my time if it's just the typical MMORPG. I want something original and unique.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

@chriscoolguy said:

Well it's called a closed beta for a reason you know.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 k2theswiss

@chriscoolguy said:

true laziness right there... Too hard to do what 5 clicks?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'll let you know after I put some hours into the beta this weekend. Also if you have two beta keys you might as well give one to your friend and use the other to see for yourself.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

@chriscoolguy said:

not everyone has high speed internet, maybe its not worth waiting hours, if not full days to get it going just for a 'meh' game

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 k2theswiss

@wis3boi said:

@k2theswiss said:

@chriscoolguy said:

not everyone has high speed internet, maybe its not worth waiting hours, if not full days to get it going just for a 'meh' game

i guess.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

some videos i've watched of people playing it described this game as a low budget looking, crappier version of Skyrim, so i don't think im gonna bother with it. Even Skyrim was pretty rough when its unmodded, i dont think i want to try an even rougher buggier version of it.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vfibsux

@nicecall said:

some videos i've watched of people playing it described this game as a low budget looking, crappier version of Skyrim, so i don't think im gonna bother with it. Even Skyrim was pretty rough when its unmodded, i dont think i want to try an even rougher buggier version of it.

I put about 80 hours into Skyrim unmodded, I like to experience the game as it was meant to be first then get my extra time through mods. I could barely stand playing ESO for more than 1 hour per run before I felt like taking a nap. Just was not engaging at all. I also did not get that "just one more level" feeling from it that pretty much has defined the MMO experience of leveling since the "DING!!" of EQ. Oh how I long to experience the excitement of the ding again. Taken out of context and show to a non-gamer that sounds pretty nasty.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@Sweetbackhair said:

@soolkiki said:

Hahahahahaha I'm probably the only one who got that!

I think so... :P

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Arthas045 said:

Just try it, I think its pretty good. I will not jump on at day 1 because of the trend of new MMOs. Release the game for 60 bucks and 2 months later the game is 20.... Try the beta out.

I agree with this. Not the good part. I have never played the beta. But this seems to be the trend. I would practice patience like Arthas.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008

@vfibsux said:

@nicecall said:

I put about 80 hours into Skyrim unmodded, I like to experience the game as it was meant to be first then get my extra time through mods. I could barely stand playing ESO for more than 1 hour per run before I felt like taking a nap. Just was not engaging at all. I also did not get that "just one more level" feeling from it that pretty much has defined the MMO experience of leveling since the "DING!!" of EQ. Oh how I long to experience the excitement of the ding again. Taken out of context and show to a non-gamer that sounds pretty nasty.

Your comment on the leveling part definitely raised my eyebrows. Although Skyrim was fun (unmodded) for the first forty hours, I never felt like I leveled when my character reached a new level. But at least with Skyrim, that was not the developer's intention. With an MMO like ES, I would think they'd put in some effort to reward the player by making it really feel like they earned that level. That's an interesting take. I experienced the "DING" in leveling in EQ and some of that in World of Warcraft. In WoW, it was more rewarding as you reached higher levels but it was still prevalent.

Again, the trend of new MMOs and their design choices are interesting. I'm not sure where developers are trying to go with their ideas. I'm at a lost conclusion.

halipokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 halipokes
Member since 2014 • 48 Posts

So, anyone who didn't get a beta key for the Elder Scrolls Online Beta, and is interested in it at some level, here is the story of the Tutorial Mission with few details, as briefly as possible.

Just leaving this here.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23807 Posts

So the Daggerfall covenant has 2 broken quests which prevent players from leaving the second island.

Skyrim was already a very poor game (unmodded), so far my experience with this is even worse, and I have been patient with it. I will try to see if I get get off the island tommorow. If it doesnt get noticably better after level 10 (which is when the game is supposed to catch up) or if the PvP is a bore. I will not play htis game any further.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Elann2008

@halipokes said:

So, anyone who didn't get a beta key for the Elder Scrolls Online Beta, and is interested in it at some level, here is the story of the Tutorial Mission with few details, as briefly as possible.

Just leaving this here.

Thank you.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

So far my first hour, I'm really not impressed. I don't see this game lasting very long as a monthly fee based MMO. I'll put some more time into it to see if it changes my mind at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I uninstalled it after 15 minutes, I couldn't stand it.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BSC14

@Postmortem123:

Oh well yeah I mean after 15 minutes who wouldn't have a good feel for an mmo

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside

@BSC14 said:

@Postmortem123:

or ANY game for that matter...

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#40 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It basically feels and plays like Skyrim Light, or even Oblivion Light

Oh and, hi again

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23807 Posts

Gotten myself to level 7, not really enjoying it, but I am still willing to give it the benefit of doubt, If I dont enjoy it after level 10 (when the game supposedly gets good) I will give up.

ESO's has several serious issues.

1. Bugs
  2. Lack of Soul
  3. Poor Mechanics (Collision will be added though so this will be remedied to some degree).
  4. Absolute mistreatment of lore. Elder Scrolls of Chim being buff givers, Daedra hearts for 21 septim.
  5. Lack of skills
  6. Several poorly thought out quests that take forever to do due to abysmal respawn rates.

Of course it also gets several things right

1. Not exactly politically corrrect (which is quite the surprise for a modern game)
  2. Several interesting choices you make on some quests (dont think they have any impact though, so it isnt anywhere near as good as it sounds).
  3. The Crafting shows promise.
  4. If you spend all your points in HP, you will NOT have a lot of resources to use for your active skills, this means I cannot spam anything (dunno how it is for players who spend their points in magicka and/or stamina).
  5. The skills that are in there are slightly more interesting than the typical mmo faire. Heck there are some skills that employ some element of risk vs reward and several skills can be combined for better effects.
  6. Mod Support. I wish I wouldnt place it as a pro, but given how several modern mmo devs seek to remove add ons from the game I have to give them credit here.
@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

@Postmortem123:

or ANY game for that matter...

Dephends on the game, and just how much you didnt like it. If you truly reviled an mmo and dreaded playing it, chances are you wont like it even at level cap because it is a sign that the core mechanics just arent good enough. Likewise, some games give you the feel of the game after 5 minutes or even less (if not even once you hit the new game button). Especially more arcadey games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Postmortem123:

Was probably a bad decision to get it to begin with, as I really dislike MMOs.

Though it was the combat that I hated the most.