is the Dell UltraSharp U2412M good for gaming?

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd022e642d9
deactivated-57dd022e642d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-57dd022e642d9
Member since 2003 • 677 Posts

I found a second hand Dell UltraSharp U2412M monitor. So is this good for gaming you think?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

You already made a thread on this a month ago.

I have the Acer Predator 27" 1440P IPS 144Hz monitor (alleged best gaming monitor by many) and the U2412M, and I still think that for the price, the U2412M is a great monitor for gaming. Just not good for people who take competitive gaming seriously. Also, if you buy 2nd hand, examine the screen closely w/ flashlight as well testing on this tool.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Zaka said:

I found a second hand Dell UltraSharp U2412M monitor. So is this good for gaming you think?

No, it's 8ms, try to find one with 5ms

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KHAndAnime

@PredatorRules said:
@Zaka said:

This 8ms is faster than many 5ms monitors

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GeryGo  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:
@PredatorRules said:
@Zaka said:

How do you know?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

@PredatorRules said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@PredatorRules said:
@Zaka said:

How do you know?

Because refresh rates have generally been pretty useless figures for monitors in the last 4 or 5 years.

The vast majority of monitors tend to have fairly aggressive panel overdrive - enough to overcome ghosting problems of TN, IPS, or even VA panels. There is only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of people who would end up being bothered by the nearly non-existing ghosting found on any modern monitor. Its largely why you just don't hear people complaining about ghosting any more.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KHAndAnime

@PredatorRules said:

How do you know?

Reviews dude. You really have to read them to compare monitors. Those reported specs mean absolute dick. This monitor's response time in terms of realtime performance falls inbetween 5ms monitors.

I have provided a comparison of the U2412M first of all above against 3 other screens we have tested which use IPS panel technology and W-LED backlighting. The U2412M shows less motion blur in moving images than the LG IPS231P despite its rather bold spec of 5ms G2G. In fact we had already concluded from our review that the IPS231P performed much like the NEC EA232WMi which has a 14ms response time and does not use RTC technology. This goes to show that you can't always trust a reported spec. The U2412M shows a similar low level of motion blur to the 5ms G2G rated Asus ML239H, but does have a more noticeable overshoot and dark trail unfortunately. -tftcentral

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Mine hasn't given me any problems with gaming and it looks great!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GeryGo  Moderator

@XaosII said:
@PredatorRules said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@PredatorRules said:
@Zaka said:

How do you know?

Because refresh rates have generally been pretty useless figures for monitors in the last 4 or 5 years.

The vast majority of monitors tend to have fairly aggressive panel overdrive - enough to overcome ghosting problems of TN, IPS, or even VA panels. There is only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of people who would end up being bothered by the nearly non-existing ghosting found on any modern monitor. Its largely why you just don't hear people complaining about ghosting any more.

Don't know about other people but when I moved from 2ms to 5ms monitor I noticed blur all over my screen, it took me 3 days to get used to it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime

@PredatorRules said:

Don't know about other people but when I moved from 2ms to 5ms monitor I noticed blur all over my screen, it took me 3 days to get used to it.

It's because some 5ms monitors are worse than 12ms monitors in terms of response time. The spec sheets lie. You probably got one of those monitors.

Like I said OP, I have both the U2412M monitor and one of the fastest gaming monitors you can get - ghosting and motion blur on the U2412M simply isn't an issue.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@@Zaka said:

Please do not make duplicate threads. I'll leave this one open since some discussion has come out of it but in the future please avoid doing this as it is against forum rules and will often result in a lock.

As for the monitor, I agree with @KHAndAnime. I ran three as my primary gaming monitors for a long time and was pretty happy with them, although those who are into fast paced competitive online FPS games will probably opt for something at least 120hz. I eventually replaced them with three Dell u2711b monitors which are fairly comparable but they are CCF backlit, 27" and 1440p. Since then I replaced the center monitor with an Asus Rog Swift and while the difference is quite significant, even side by side the u2711b monitors are still pretty good.

If you're on a budget, or a gaming monitor isn't the only motivation for buying a monitor, then this is a great display to get. It's LED backlit so it's power efficient and doesn't put out much heat, it's an IPS panel so the viewing angle and overall picture quality is excellent, and it's pre-color calibrated from the factory so the color accuracy is very good as well as its color gamut.

But, if gaming -is- your primary motivation and you're not on a budget, I'd go for the Rog Swift or the new Acer 144hz IPS display.

-Byshop