Is the alienware aurora a good gaming computer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Luthreidrome
Member since 2009 • 253 Posts

Like would I be able to play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games on them? Or maybe Crysis? Im mostly trying to see if it would run with these games well and maybe at full settings smoothly

http://www.alienware.com/products/aurora-desktop.aspx?SysCode=PC-AURORA-R5&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts
would can make better for cheaper
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Everything will depend on how you customize the Aurora...and at what resolution you intend to play??? And it won't be cheap.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

Everything will depend on how you customize the Aurora...and at what resolution you intend to play??? And it won't be cheap.

--Anna--
Definitely that last part, it won't be cheap. Like majority of people are about to suggest, if you are willing to invest your time into building your own machine, you can save a ton of money and have a computer just as good to call your own.
Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Luthreidrome

Im not exactly sure how to customize computers though. I have one but I dont know how to customize it and I cant play games on it.It says it starts at just 800 dollars.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

[QUOTE="--Anna--"]

Marfoo

Definitely that last part, it won't be cheap. Like majority of people are about to suggest, if you are willing to invest your time into building your own machine, you can save a ton of money and have a computer just as good to call your own.

Just as good?

With the money ur paying for that PC, u can make ur own PC and it will still be more powerful. It just may not look good though. But who cares about looks more than the grunt.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marfoo
[QUOTE="Amith12"]

[QUOTE="Marfoo"][QUOTE="--Anna--"]

Just as good?

With the money ur paying for that PC, u can make ur own PC and it will still be more powerful. It just may not look good though. But who cares about looks more than the grunt.

Just as good for thalf the price that is! If he keeps his budget he can definitely get a much better PC.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Marfoo

Im not exactly sure how to customize computers though. I have one but I dont know how to customize it and I cant play games on it.It says it starts at just 800 dollars.

Luthreidrome
We can help you in this forum, we do it all the time. We can help you customize a computer to fit your budget, will make sure all the parts are compatible and teach you in the process. If you build your own you will most likely never buy a prebuilt again.
n_kors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 n_kors
Member since 2005 • 1785 Posts
Nope, not at all. You should get 5x the performance for that price.
dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

If you have the money, buy it.

If you have the time, build your own.

And if you have more time build your own with the right parts.

And if you have MORE time overclock it correctly.

Hopefully in the end you'll lose all your friends and spend all your time PC gaming in your custom built /take-that-alienware-you-gouging-doo-doo-heads-I-built-my-own-eat-it-because-I-would-spend-countless-hours-being-frustrated-comparing-the-best-hardware-than-to-just-pay-a-bit-more-for-a-fine-working-gaming-rig' computer rig.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Personally, the only Alienware I'd be interested in are the dual SLi-Laptops. Don't know any other manufacturer out there-(none taht I'd trust) that have SLi capabilities.
Further - Alienware is still WAAAYY to expensive, even for a Dual Vid Setup lappy. I'd be more interested in the Gawdy looking Gateway FX series!!

X~

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Luthreidrome

[QUOTE="Luthreidrome"]

Marfoo

Thank you! Turns out I cant use the computer Im using now because its my mothers and it has linux on it, so what computer could I use to start out with so I could start building it? A link or something would be helpful thanks!

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
If you live in the US, a good place to buy parts is www.newegg.com Give us a budget, and someone will probably go and select parts for you new PC :)
Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Luthreidrome
[QUOTE="Deadly_Fatalis"]If you live in the US, a good place to buy parts is www.newegg.com Give us a budget, and someone will probably go and select parts for you new PC :)

Whats the average price for a gaming computer to be able to run most games on the highest setting? because currently I dont have much but Im going to be doing some jobs to make money.
Slig0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Slig0
Member since 2009 • 2072 Posts

[QUOTE="Deadly_Fatalis"]If you live in the US, a good place to buy parts is www.newegg.com Give us a budget, and someone will probably go and select parts for you new PC :)Luthreidrome
Whats the average price for a gaming computer to be able to run most games on the highest setting? because currently I dont have much but Im going to be doing some jobs to make money.

Max? $1300, like mine.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Marfoo

[QUOTE="Luthreidrome"][QUOTE="Deadly_Fatalis"]If you live in the US, a good place to buy parts is www.newegg.com Give us a budget, and someone will probably go and select parts for you new PC :)Slig0

Max? $1300, like mine.

Well, we, can usually squeeze a budget to the very last drop. For most builders a good build goes anywhere from $1000-$1200, but if you have less than that we can work what you've got.
Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Luthreidrome
[QUOTE="Slig0"]

[QUOTE="Luthreidrome"] Whats the average price for a gaming computer to be able to run most games on the highest setting? because currently I dont have much but Im going to be doing some jobs to make money.Marfoo

Max? $1300, like mine.

Well, we, can usually squeeze a budget to the very last drop. For most builders a good build goes anywhere from $1000-$1200, but if you have less than that we can work what you've got.

how about $800- $900?
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

Yeah depend where it is also : in usa a Great enough pc is buildable at 700-900$ unless you want 1920x1200 so bad : 1000-1200$ for (Higher GPU / CPU) It Alway depend of Resolution Of the Monitor you'r Getting / or Playing at

Example 1680x1050 & 1600x1200 in most of game will consume about 35-40% less then 1920x1200 but it as also 30% less pixel : more pixel = better :if you compare 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 ud probabely want to never game on 1280x1024 anymore :P Example of Performances of a popular game played

If You compare my Rig I ad build from my own piece to rival in canada : Alienware Aurora / DELL XPS / HP blackBird 02 I saved over 2,500$ For Better Performances Such as Better Motherboard / Better CPU / Better Ram Speed & Cas Latency / Better Cpu Cooler ect.. that those of Biggest Advantage of own-build

I don't know any pre-build which will defeat ur own build for money value : it alway own-build and you wouldn't belive how easy it is to put it together :)

However If you want a PC For Best Power / Value it is Suggest to wait Release of HD5870 (Dx11 card)
Release Date Expected Around October Last week which is 3 month of now

then i belive you would not have to upgrade so soon after it : how ever if you cannot wait you can still go with a low-end card and upgrade video card later Example if you buy a 30-50$ video card then wait release of is 300$ video card ud still have an operative system

you should either go core 2 duo Overclock / Phenom II x4 940 / 955 Black edition overclocked Overclocking is done at home within a Good Computer case 60-140$US + a cpu cooler 20-50$US depending of how far you will overclock / worry about ur cpu temp Example Limit of E8500 is 4.0Ghz Before unstable

esn2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 esn2500
Member since 2005 • 476 Posts
Everybody is right, you'll save much more if you build your own computer and hopefully have a good time while doing so. The first time I built my own computer I fell in love with the rewarding experience of building and upgrading a computer. Just beware you might become obsessed with upgrading and blow alot of money lol, I'm sure most of us on this part of the forums would agree :)
Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Luthreidrome

I guess Ill tr y to go with building one then, but I still need to know what Id have to get and how much it would be. Id prefer actually to keep it between $700 - $800, $900 if its absolutely necessary. And Im not sure about the resolution since I dont even have a computer to build upon yet of yet so I dont have a monitor, So the things I need to know are which computer should I buy to start with (unless your saying to build my own computer), then what parts to buy for it.

And also im in the USA if that changes anything.

esn2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 esn2500
Member since 2005 • 476 Posts

First, find a good guide on building computers like this one. Next go on newegg.com and add the parts you need according to the guide by using the add to cart button. Try to stay within your budget and post back your parts list when your done and we'll judge it. Good luck

dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

If you have the money, buy it.

If you have the time, build your own.

And if you have more time build your own with the right parts.

And if you have MORE time overclock it correctly.

Hopefully in the end you'll lose all your friends and spend all your time PC gaming in your custom built /take-that-alienware-you-gouging-doo-doo-heads-I-built-my-own-eat-it-because-I-would-spend-countless-hours-being-frustrated-comparing-the-best-hardware-than-to-just-pay-a-bit-more-for-a-fine-working-gaming-rig' computer rig.

dbd333

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 marcthpro

that don't change anything newegg & pricegrabber website help you find price at lowest possible
You don't have a monitor right now ? or it is just not you'r or a laptop ? did you know any HDTV / CRT Monitor can be a Display monitor for ur pc

A good monitor is from 200-300$ : 1680x1050 16:9 / 1600x1200 (16:10) to 1920x1080 (16:9) / 1920x1200 (16:10)

And by Build ur own mean that we will help you find all the piece and you put it together call that benevolence / help ;) since it don't cost you a cent to know which part to put together lol : it sure that how ever you could get a Bit dilematic / confused by People choice for money

since you said ur thing 800-900$ you'r pc will have Average Gaming power because you need a monitor you said that a 150-200$ deduction removed from ur finance to build the pc right ? thus decreasing the Overall Quality of Piece you can afford such as Better GPU / CPU you'r picking

to the one up here. Who ever Wrote that Quote and try to convince him to buy a pre-build manifacturer PC such as dell / alienware is not Trust Worthy

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Luthreidrome

that don't change anything newegg & pricegrabber website help you find price at lowest possible
You don't have a monitor right now ? or it is just not you'r or a laptop ? did you know any HDTV / CRT Monitor can be a Display monitor for ur pc

A good monitor is from 200-300$ : 1680x1050 16:9 / 1600x1200 (16:10) to 1920x1080 (16:9) / 1920x1200 (16:10)

And by Build ur own mean that we will help you find all the piece and you put it together call that benevolence / help ;) since it don't cost you a cent to know which part to put together lol : it sure that how ever you could get a Bit dilematic / confused by People choice for money

since you said ur thing 800-900$ you'r pc will have Average Gaming power because you need a monitor you said that a 150-200$ deduction removed from ur finance to build the pc right ? thus decreasing the Overall Quality of Piece you can afford such as Better GPU / CPU you'r picking

marcthpro

How much would the price go up to to get high gaming power? And I dont even have a pc right now, this ones my moms so I cant do anything to it. So I still need to buy a pc to upgrade.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

IMO - folks who buy an Alienware Comp. are those who either have a lot of money and really don't have the time to research components. OR, think they know a lot about computers and try to prove it buy buying an Alienware - and also have a lot of money...

Kind of like - a person who claims to love Hot Rods and buys one from a dealer - against a true Hot Rod enthusist who can actually put together thier own perfection of Street ROD..

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 marcthpro

well 1000-1200$ if you get a monitor of 1680x1050 / 1920x1200 it all depend on resolution you play you see it up to you how you can afford from hard working
but if you ask me to someone who as problem to upgrade pc often like every 1-2 year or don't want to sacrefice AA Quality In Game Settings for Run at 1920x1200 or 1900x1080 = 1080P

Id Take a monitor of 1600x1200 / 1680x1050 it is mostly the same just that 16:10 is better then 16:9 for vast majority of game you can also downscale resolution of 1920x1200 to 1680x1050 16:9 / 1600x1200 16:10

We would need a saved Wishlist on newegg.com : register ur Account on newegg.com in order to see it i will also post a Example Build for you i doubt to be final build as you don't have money at moment tor wish to build it within next week right ? for now but i would not mind to show you a example

you can adjust more money on the budget if you want id build it considering the budget : you may get about 5-6 PC Build Suggestion within short time here

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Luthreidrome

I am still confused on a couple things.

A) should I buy a somewhat cheap computer to upgrade? Or are you guys saying I should build my own from scratch? I dont really have any experience building computers

B) If I am supposed to buy a somewhat cheap computer to upgrade what should I get?

C) What do you suggest to get to be able to play at highest settings on most games?

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
Luth your not getting it, you assemble them components from scratch. Even if you are going to buy a prebuilt pc I suggest researching into it, seeing as you dont even know what resolution is.
Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Luthreidrome
[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]Luth your not getting it, you assemble them components from scratch. Even if you are going to buy a prebuilt pc I suggest researching into it, seeing as you dont even know what resolution is.

Sorry, Im new to pc gaming Ive played consoles my whole life so I dont really understand most pc phrases and stuff. So Im supposed to build my own pc from scratch? wouldnt that make it more expensive?
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Marfoo
[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]Luth your not getting it, you assemble them components from scratch. Even if you are going to buy a prebuilt pc I suggest researching into it, seeing as you dont even know what resolution is.Luthreidrome
Sorry, Im new to pc gaming Ive played consoles my whole life so I dont really understand most pc phrases and stuff. So Im supposed to build my own pc from scratch? wouldnt that make it more expensive?

It would seem that way, but most PCs you get at the store come from the same pool of parts custom builders come from. OEMs just uses cheaper parts in mass quantities, but have to jack up the price to run their company. In the end the custom PC market is big enough that you can build a faster machine for less money without sacrificing quality or choice of parts, even paying retail price.
Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Luthreidrome
[QUOTE="Luthreidrome"][QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]Luth your not getting it, you assemble them components from scratch. Even if you are going to buy a prebuilt pc I suggest researching into it, seeing as you dont even know what resolution is.Marfoo

It would seem that way, but most PCs you get at the store come from the same pool of parts custom builders come from. OEMs just uses cheaper parts in mass quantities, but have to jack up the price to run their company. In the end the custom PC market is big enough that you can build a faster machine for less money without sacrificing quality or choice of parts, even paying retail price.

Okay thanks, Im working on that wishlist thing now.
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 marcthpro

The more FPS Average the Better : Under 30fps = huge lag : 30fps + acceptable gameplay : 55-60fps = Great

higher then those fps = just that you'r may get immune to any lagspike of sort created by the hardware as the hardware is overpowered
Example Running WoW Wrath of Lich king at max on a ATI HD 4850 at 1920x1200 = Extremely overpowered lol as it worked Awesomly with a 7600GT :P

Now I guess it time for me to help you build ur pc :)

iv done someting for$1,063.37 it include all need of a PC expect mouse / keyboard / OS You can get a Free Window 7 Release Canditate
The Psu is Enough big for in future Put Two card if you ever have the enthusiasm : the monitor can be also changed to 1920x120 if you want

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/marc5002/PcBuildat1067.jpg?t=1247431802 i did a build click the link
Well depend of res if 1920x1200 : there are samsung / LG / at 250-300$

Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Luthreidrome
Thanks! But is there any way I could knock off a couple hundred bucks? Because thats a bit over my budget
Luthreidrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Luthreidrome
I added it all to my wishlist thanks! Is there any way to get a cheaper monitor because that seems like it will make it harder to get
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 marcthpro
there cheaper but that was nearly the best qualtiy / size / monitor i could find at 200$ price range instead of those 1920x1200 at 260$+
chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#39 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
Thanks! But is there any way I could knock off a couple hundred bucks? Because thats a bit over my budgetLuthreidrome
Get a cheaper case. Don't get the CPU cooler. Get at 19" monitor. Don't bother buying the thermal paste (comes with CPU). Buying a smaller power supply (650w minimum) Could go with a smaller HDD if you wanted...depends on how much you download and how many Operating Systems you want on it. There you go, you get the same (actually better because of the Monitor) performance and it is about $200 cheaper.