Is my power supply good enough for the GTX 560ti?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hercules321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Hercules321
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts

I have just purchased a EVGAGTX 560 ti and should be at my place in the next few days. I have done all the research in terms of whether it will fit and if I have the right slot kind blah blah blah. I thought I had a 800 watt power supply but as it turns out I only have a 500 watt power supply that has a single 6 pin pci 2.0 power connector. Ya I know, I messed up with the power supply research because the gtx 560 ti specs say that it requires a MINIMUM power supply unit of 500 watts. What I would like to know is the following: Seeing as to how I have the minimum power supply needed, is this fine or is it risky? Would it help if I unplugged the floppy drive in my computer and if so then how much of a difference would it make? Is it bad to use 6 to 4 pin converters that come with the graphics card or is that fine to use? What is the worst that could happen if it turns out my graphics card isn't getting enough power? I ask this because depending on what you guys tell me, I might just try using my current PSU and if all it does is cause my computer to freeze up then obviously I will get a new PSU at that point. However, if you guys tell me that using my current PSU runs the risk of somehow destroying my gtx 560 ti then I will just buy a new PSU right now. If I do need to buy a new PSU, whats a good one to get? Any links you can share with me? Phew, those are all my questions, thanks for listening and answering them!

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

you should be okay but did you really need to get it.. i mean the 560 oc's well but if your not overclocking an hd 6950 1gb sits at the same price tag and outpreforms it 9/10 and in some of those case the 560 even loses to the 5850 and 6870

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Floppy drive? How old is your PC?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Floppy drive? How old is your PC?C_Rule

some folks keep em for nostalgia.. i have one still an antec 900 with a floppy drive.. now youve heard it all :P

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

When I originally built this rig about 8 years ago, I put a floppy in the case, but never plugged it in. It is still taking a 3.5" drive bay.

Hercules321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hercules321
Floppy drive? How old is your PC?C_Rule
I bought the base PC in 09' then added my own 8800gt and cpu to it. Your guess is as good as mine in terms of why it has a floppy drive.
Hercules321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hercules321

you should be okay but did you really need to get it.. i mean the 560 oc's well but if your not overclocking an hd 6950 1gb sits at the same price tag and outpreforms it 9/10 and in some of those case the 560 even loses to the 5850 and 6870

ionusX

So you don't think I'll have any problems with my PSU overheating or somehow damaging my graphics card an any way?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

Hercules321

So you don't think I'll have any problems with my PSU overheating or somehow damaging my graphics card an any way?

Do you know what brand your PSU is, or is it a generic one?
You should be fine with a 560 on a 500w PSU.

Hercules321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hercules321
Hmmm, I wish I knew the brand but I don't. It clearly isn't anything too special seeing as to how it only has 1 six-pin pci 2.0 connector. It sounds like the general consensus here though, is that a 500W should be alright. I just really wanted to make sure that if it isn't giving me gpu enough power, or the PSU gets maxed out and starts getting super hot, then it won't somehow damage my GPU or any other internal components.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#10 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Take out the side of your casing and you should be able to tell the brand of your PSU, that's very important to know...also how old is the PSU? I have heard over the years a PSU loses some power....

Hercules321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hercules321

Take out the side of your casing and you should be able to tell the brand of your PSU, that's very important to know...also how old is the PSU? I have heard over the years a PSU loses some power....

Gambler_3
When I took off the side panel I wasn't able to find a brand name so that can't be a really good sign as to the quality of the PSU lol. Here is a list of everything I did see and wrote down on paper. I'm not sure if it means anything or gives any clues as to what brand or how good my PSU is. Heres what I saw: S/N #D7 8184693 (I thought maybe this would tell me the PSU I have but when googling it I never got a single search result), "Hi-Pot ok", "HPP: F1", "Pin-Test: F2", "Hi-pot: F2", "Ground: F6", "ATE: F7". There were also a few stickers that said "warranty void if removed" but thats abou it. Oh yea, I also noticed that there was a 6-pin connector that was not being used that said "pci" on it. My current card is only using one 6-pin so thats why I assume there is an extra one just sitting in the computer not connected to anything.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#12 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Having 2 PCI-E connectors is a good sign but none of the other information helps. Can you take a pic of the PSU and post from BOTH sides? I mean even the lower quality PSU's have a "name"...

Katsumic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Katsumic
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts

500 should be enough if it's a decent quality PSU and you don't have a ton running on it. Some symptoms of problems would be complete system crash when playing a game, the graphics card pushing 90c + constantly at 100% fan, etc.