Is It too late to start playing WOW?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts

Hey

At the moment im downloading the WOW trial and I was wondering if I did enjoy it would it mean I would have to buy on top of the original, I would also have to buy Burning Crusade,Wrath of the Lich King and when it is released Cataclysm. And even if I did buy all of them would they all be dead except for Catacylsm and I would be stuck doing end game content as ive heard you have to get a high enough gearscore or something to run end game instances and since i would be new and have very average/bad gear. I would be unable to run instances and thus be unable to improve my gear and be in a catch 22.

Thanks in advance

kilerchese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kilerchese
Member since 2008 • 831 Posts

Not really, sure your starting off late, but it's not like Eve Online where the longer you've played the more skills you have.

Blizzard has made it so that it's faster to get from 1 to 80.

frizzyman0292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 frizzyman0292
Member since 2007 • 2855 Posts

Not really with the new expansion coming out soon your gonna see alot of new players, go ahead and get a character to 80 and be ready for Cata.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58542 Posts

no, the truth is, when catacylsm is released it will be the best time to get into WoW.

Basically blizzard is redoing everything; old world (i.e. the "beginner zones") are being redone, warranting old player to experience the content and make new characters. And if that is not enough, theyre releasing two new playable races.

In short...every single WoW player will be making new, frsh, level 1 characters and experiencing both old and new content all over again.

Right now...yea, not a good idea.

But come December 7 I strongly urge any interested gamers to purchase WoW vanilla.

The beauty is, of course, that all the redone content (minus the two new races and their respective starting zones) will be available to all players, Cataclysm or not.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

Not really, sure your starting off late, but it's not like Eve Online where the longer you've played the more skills you have.

Blizzard has made it so that it's faster to get from 1 to 80.

kilerchese

With EVE, the more skills a character has does not really mean a rookie will have a hard time getting into things. One thing about the skill system in EVE is that to be able to use certain ships, or utilize certain things to full effect, you only need a subset of skills to do that particular thing well.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I dont get why so many people ask this question. Its never to late. Now is a great time. The games lower or mid levels are never dead they just get less activity when compared to the high end stuff. Remember that WoW has a dungeon finder tool that is a cross realm party maker so there is no such thing as a dead dungeon for example doesnt matter if its from the base WoW or TBC.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

Like others have said this is probably the best time to get into WOW.... But it really depends on the mindset you have when playing the game.

Cataclysm comes out on December 7, I wouldn't really be attempting to level and do end game Wrath raiding. I would be focused on getting a character to 80 with all of your professions maxed out (including cooking/fishing). Once you get to 80 I would try to get some better gear through 5 man instances, badges, crafted items etc. in order to make your leveling from 80 - 85 a bit easier.

Once you get that character to 80 I would probably start working on leveling some alts, Cataclysm with the new raiding system will be very alt friendly, you should be able to raid with 2 - 3 different characters without spending 40+ hours a week playing.

Lastly in regards to a suggestion for your first character I would suggest a druid. The reason for this is at this point you probably aren't 100% sure what you might like at end game and with only time to realistically level 1 character to 80 the druid offers all of the available classes. You can tank as bear, melee dps as a cat, heal as a tree, or ranged dps as a giant chicken (or whatever the hell that thing is) the boomkin.

Anyways, goodluck

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

no, the truth is, when catacylsm is released it will be the best time to get into WoW.

Basically blizzard is redoing everything; old world (i.e. the "beginner zones") are being redone, warranting old player to experience the content and make new characters. And if that is not enough, theyre releasing two new playable races.

In short...every single WoW player will be making new, frsh, level 1 characters and experiencing both old and new content all over again.

Right now...yea, not a good idea.

But come December 7 I strongly urge any interested gamers to purchase WoW vanilla.

The beauty is, of course, that all the redone content (minus the two new races and their respective starting zones) will be available to all players, Cataclysm or not.

mrbojangles25
This. IF you're completely new to WoW, it wouldn't be so bad of a idea to start playing now. But if you're looking to return to WOW, I would wait till Cata comes out.
ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Hey

At the moment im downloading the WOW trial and I was wondering if I did enjoy it would it mean I would have to buy on top of the original, I would also have to buy Burning Crusade,Wrath of the Lich King and when it is released Cataclysm. And even if I did buy all of them would they all be dead except for Catacylsm and I would be stuck doing end game content as ive heard you have to get a high enough gearscore or something to run end game instances and since i would be new and have very average/bad gear. I would be unable to run instances and thus be unable to improve my gear and be in a catch 22.

Thanks in advance

Shadowhawk000

Wait for December 7th, but not too late at all.

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

Nope, now is a better time than the previous two expansions to get into the game... The two new races means a lot of people will be making a lot of new characters, so plenty of people in starting areas to level with when cata launches...

Plus all of the old races and starting areas are being updated (such as Humans getting Hunters and Tauren getting Paladins, etc) and the starting areas are being redone to make them both more enjoyable and more efficient to quest in...

As for the old content, yes it will be dead for you unless your guild runs old content as the gear and drops there apart from mounts will be completely useless to an 80... Depending on what class you play though, you might be able to solo some of that old content... You may even be able to solo some of the old 20/40m raids if you are a DK/Pally with a lot of dps/self healing... And what you mentioned about gearscore, it doesn't take long at all to get geared now... 4.0.1 redid everything... You can just skip Tier9 armor altogether and purchase T10 and justice points which is the new currency are very easy and fast to get, some random heroics can give you as much as 140 from one run that takes 20-30 minutes...

And to anwer your question about what you need to buy, yes you need to buy the vanilla game and all of the expansions... Look for sales, when I first got into this game I got the battlechest that came with the vanilla game and BC for $20, plus 30 days of game time... Then once I got up into the ~60's I bought Lich King for $20 in a sale on Amazon (and this was only about 6 months ago, not back when WotLK released)... So just keep your eyes peeled...

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Right now is a horrible time to get into WoW. I can't really explain it, but its at that time where you don't want to level because the old world is going to get completely redone in a few weeks. However, after the next patch (4.0.3) drops, it will be the BEST time to start playing, thats when the entire old world will be done. My advice, wait a few weeks until the next patch drops then go for it.

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
In my opinion, you're 5 years too late. Sure you'll experience some really nice things that WoW still has to offer as well as the new expansion. But you missed out on the open world PvP, trading in the OVERpopulated Orgrimmar and Ironforge near the 1 auction house, Barren's Chat, epic mounts and gear ACTUALLY BEING EPIC and not a minimum like today, collecting Fire-Resistance gear in the level 50s so you can later hang with the big boys in 40-man raids, and other fun things that people enjoyed back in 2005-2006 before the expansions. Think about all the things that made WoW #1 years ago. All of that has changed from PvP (resilience) to the talent trees and basic stats; it's a very different game now. In other words, you're coming in to enjoy the last chapters of the first WoW and I REALLY hope you enjoy it, but you missed out on alot. Welcome to the afterparty I guess. :)
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

In my opinion, you're 5 years too late. Sure you'll experience some really nice things that WoW still has to offer as well as the new expansion. But you missed out on the open world PvP, trading in the OVERpopulated Orgrimmar and Ironforge near the 1 auction house, Barren's Chat, epic mounts and gear ACTUALLY BEING EPIC and not a minimum like today, collecting Fire-Resistance gear in the level 50s so you can later hang with the big boys in 40-man raids, and other fun things that people enjoyed back in 2005-2006 before the expansions. Think about all the things that made WoW #1 years ago. All of that has changed from PvP (resilience) to the talent trees and basic stats; it's a very different game now. In other words, you're coming in to enjoy the last chapters of the first WoW and I REALLY hope you enjoy it, but you missed out on alot. Welcome to the afterparty I guess. :)TheBigBadGRIM

You forgot to mention days-long AVs.

Oh my, the nostalgia :cry:

Nope, it's not a bad time. Cataclysm is going to come out in a month and a half, by then you'll already have a grasp of the game and at least one level-capped character to start in the new zones straight away.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="TheBigBadGRIM"]In my opinion, you're 5 years too late. Sure you'll experience some really nice things that WoW still has to offer as well as the new expansion. But you missed out on the open world PvP, trading in the OVERpopulated Orgrimmar and Ironforge near the 1 auction house, Barren's Chat, epic mounts and gear ACTUALLY BEING EPIC and not a minimum like today, collecting Fire-Resistance gear in the level 50s so you can later hang with the big boys in 40-man raids, and other fun things that people enjoyed back in 2005-2006 before the expansions. Think about all the things that made WoW #1 years ago. All of that has changed from PvP (resilience) to the talent trees and basic stats; it's a very different game now. In other words, you're coming in to enjoy the last chapters of the first WoW and I REALLY hope you enjoy it, but you missed out on alot. Welcome to the afterparty I guess. :)Mograine

You forgot to mention days-long AVs.

Oh my, the nostalgia :cry:

Nope, it's not a bad time. Cataclysm is going to come out in a month and a half, by then you'll already have a grasp of the game and at least one level-capped character to start in the new zones straight away.

Gah... AV...! It was #1 source of pvp. That Grand Marshal title was NOT worth it.. but I had so much fun... I miss the vanilla WoW days. :P
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
I would start right now if I thought I could support it but I have no job and too many other games. Love WoW though. It isnt hard to get into and most people are nice or just leave you alone. One thing to remember is that you should NOT start off in PvP servers. Just dont. You will get murdered and start hating the game. Luckily when I did that I stopped that character and went to another server and from then til lvl 70 I had a good time. The Auction House is sooo addicting. I love the game. Especially exploring and decking my character out. Problem is...it can get a lil pointless - Grind>Get Money>Buy stuff>Deck character out>Repeat. BUT there is a lot to explore and that part is nice. Loved working to buy a flying mount. Some places are jsut beautiful and on top of that they're upgrading the graphics so it looks even better than when I played. Dont think I could go back though...well...at least...I think so. lol. Damn you WoW...so tasty.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Actually your probably better hanging on until after Cataclysm, you'll have a lot of people levelling up along side you that way.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Maybe ill just wait till Cata is released then, I dont want to start playing and then find that most people start moving off to the other mmo's being released soon. Such as Guild wars 2, Tera,SWTOR and whatever else is coming out.
TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
Maybe ill just wait till Cata is released then, I dont want to start playing and then find that most people start moving off to the other mmo's being released soon. Such as Guild wars 2, Tera,SWTOR and whatever else is coming out.Shadowhawk000
Lol? Most of the 12 million active subscribers aren't going to move to another MMO.
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Heck no...WoW is the best MMO on the market. Its not a fluke when you have 12 million subscribers. I just recently resubscribed because of the new patch 4.0.1 and I'm loving the changes...the talent trees actually make sense. They got rid of all the nonsense talents and polished the game even more...

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

[QUOTE="Shadowhawk000"]Maybe ill just wait till Cata is released then, I dont want to start playing and then find that most people start moving off to the other mmo's being released soon. Such as Guild wars 2, Tera,SWTOR and whatever else is coming out.TheBigBadGRIM
Lol? Most of the 12 million active subscribers aren't going to move to another MMO.

Lol youre crazy. WoW people are hardcore...There is a following for Blizzard and for the warcraft name that will not be broken...I am loving how SW: TOR is turning out, but even when I buy it, I dont plan on unsubscribing to WoW. I plan to keep both...