Is it still unethical?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aashammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aashammer
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts

Okay, here`s the thing. I want to play "Star Wars: Jedi Academy"... But how do I get it? None of the retailers I`ve been to have it, since it`s so old. None of the online stores I search have it. Ebay, you say? Well, I live in Norway and none of the auctions for the game ship to Norway. So, here`s my question, how can they expect me not to download it illegaly when it`s impossible for me to buy a real copy?

Thanks

blink720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 blink720
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

Okay, here`s the thing. I want to play "Star Wars: Jedi Academy"... But how do I get it? None of the retailers I`ve been to have it, since it`s so old. None of the online stores I search have it. Ebay, you say? Well, I live in Norway and none of the auctions for the game ship to Norway. So, here`s my question, how can they expect me not to download it illegaly when it`s impossible for me to buy a real copy?

Thanks

Aashammer

Download the game but throw some money out the window while doing it, that should even things out.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

You could grab a copy from England (the top one, from Play_UK) - it costs £12 which, according to a quick conversion online, seems to be about 146kr, plus whatever delivery costs.

That's a pre-owned copy, but the seller (a respected UK retailer) sells to the whole of Europe.

Personally, I don't think it's unethical to download a game you do not have the means to purchase, since the copyright owners and middlemen have no profit to lose, since you weren't going to by it anyway - effectively making the notion of copyright moot. But I think you should take every available step before getting to that stage.

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
I think you have proven your ethics by even posing the question.
Aashammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aashammer
Thanks, but I just checked your link. Amason doesn`t ship video games to countries in europe who aren`t part of the EU.
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts
That sucks, do you have friends in the eu who will send it to you if you get it shipped to their address (getting a bit complicated)
Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts

Why are you asking us for justification. .............................. MroyalT

Charming.

As for your question OP, yes it is unethical, because even though you still can't get it legally, you are still pirating.

igl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 igl
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts
I have a slight similar problem with COD4 from steam. They fail to give me the english language version, even after i contacted the support who told me to "set language in steam probs to english" for 2 weeks now. While I did that in the first 2 minutes after I purchased and still they don't seem to understand anything. Now should I buy it again? Directly buy the UK import? Wait another week for it to ship, while my reason for Steam was just to have it right away? Disappointing to see how much the industry fails to sell you things, while privatly owned networks *caugh* torrents *caugh* flush the goodness in your house for free. Just imagin how good it _could_ be, but it doesn't seem like they are trying very hard to get their stuff to the people easy. Torrent ftw?
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#11 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Okay, here`s the thing. I want to play "Star Wars: Jedi Academy"... But how do I get it? None of the retailers I`ve been to have it, since it`s so old. None of the online stores I search have it. Ebay, you say? Well, I live in Norway and none of the auctions for the game ship to Norway. So, here`s my question, how can they expect me not to download it illegaly when it`s impossible for me to buy a real copy?Aashammer

It might be better just to ask people how you buy it. If you can't obtain it legally, it's pretty much irrelevent to the publisher.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
Does Amazon ship to Norway? They have it.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

unethical? no

illegal? maybe, though there is so much grey area and "maybe, sort of, and idunno" answers to downloading things that its weird.

I say go ahead and download. Technical you wont be depriving anyone of money since, like you said, its not in stores anymore.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I have a slight similar problem with COD4 from steam. They fail to give me the english language version, even after i contacted the support who told me to "set language in steam probs to english" for 2 weeks now. While I did that in the first 2 minutes after I purchased and still they don't seem to understand anything. Now should I buy it again? Directly buy the UK import? Wait another week for it to ship, while my reason for Steam was just to have it right away? Disappointing to see how much the industry fails to sell you things, while privatly owned networks *caugh* torrents *caugh* flush the goodness in your house for free. Just imagin how good it _could_ be, but it doesn't seem like they are trying very hard to get their stuff to the people easy. Torrent ftw?igl

I believe I've heard that downloading software off of a torrent site that you've already paid for is legal, because you've effectively bought the rights to own that game, not just that copy. That's just what I've heard, I don't know if that's true.

Aashammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aashammer
Hey guys, I ended up getting it from Ebay.uk. Thanks for all the responses!