Is it possible for the Firefox browser to become infected?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts

Lately, I've been having problems with my Firefox browser, which is the browser I use most often. I don't seem to encounter these problems when using Chrome, Opera, or Safari.

Is it possible that somehow my Firefox browser has become infected or corrupted?

chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 chadw_genx
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts
If one of your add-ons for firefox is incompatible with a recent automatic update for the actual firefox browser that type of problem can happen. I've seen a lot of malware affect an ie browser but not an opera browser, or vice-versa. You could always try uninstalling Firefox from your control panel: add/remove (xp) programs & features (vista & 7) and then downloading the latest setup file for it and reinstalling and see if your problem is resolved. Of course, you probably want to run your anti-virus scanner with latest definition updates prior to that, just to make sure you don't have any malware on your hdd. Hope this helps.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I've been having issues as well, i've put it down to ForceField though but since you say this i think it might be Firefox itself, like you my other browsers work fine and in Chrome's case it's quite a lot faster than Firefox when loading videos and flash and all the javascript websites and so on. Yes FF can be infected it's just the people who are looking for these vulnerabilites are the ones who want them patched and since it has a much lower install base than IE, FF is a far smaller target for hackers but is still a target none the less.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Yes it can although your problem is most likely related to broken add-ons or something. I'd try purging firefox and then reinstalling it.

Firefox itself is not slow or unstable. I use it on all my PC's and it works well.