is it ok to buy macbook air now ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alessandro1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alessandro1001
Member since 2010 • 501 Posts

the 4 gb macbook air price 900$

i need it for video , work and some indie games and i need small slim laptop

what do you think ?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Sure, also you could go to ATM draw out as much money as your allowed.

Then go to a convieance store and buy some matches, then burn all that money.

Alessandro1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Alessandro1001

@thehig1:

Wow , Is it that bad ?

so , what the best good looking laptop and slim one in the market to buy with same price ?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thehig1

@Alessandro1001 said:

@thehig1:

Wow , Is it that bad ?

so , what the best good looking laptop and slim one in the market to buy with same price ?

I think you pay way too much with an apple product for the hardware you actually get.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@Alessandro1001 said:

what do you think ?

why do people still think that macs are better at video/image editing?

they arent.... there is literally no difference between a mac and a PC anymore from a hardware perspective. same hardware, same architecture. only difference being the OS, and that has very little to do with video/image editing. you should be more concerned about the processor and to some extent the GPU (if it has a workstation GPU ala the FireGL/Pro)

there are like a million ultrabooks that are just as, or MORE slim than the macbook air and have much better specs. buy a PC. forget about Mac unless you just vastly prefer MacOS.

Alessandro1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alessandro1001

@cyloninside:

I never ever use Mac os before , and I don't like it, I was intend to install windows on it .

What I like in MacBook air the good looking and its very slim , long battery . That it .

And of course guys , I ask in this forum because I'm looking for your Opinion .

So , after what I read , I will look for another laptops , like ultra book

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Macs are perfectly fine. They're quality laptop with good hardware and a slim profile. They're also stylish and don't look like those trashy lappys with a plastic finish. Get one if money isn't a concern. Also a great thing is their resale value. A crappy standard laptop will be nigh worthless in a year or two. A mac will still sell for a very decent price. Apple also has the best customer service around and they do their repairs and support in-house. Macbook Airs also rank consistently among the best portable computers on the market.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cyloninside

@Juub1990 said:

Macs are perfectly fine. They're quality laptop with good hardware and a slim profile. They're also stylish and don't look like those trashy lappys with a plastic finish. Get one if money isn't a concern. Also a great thing is their resale value. A crappy standard laptop will be nigh worthless in a year or two. A mac will still sell for a very decent price. Apple also has the best customer service around and they do their repairs and support in-house. Macbook Airs also rank consistently among the best portable computers on the market.

they are cost prohibitive.... and there are plenty of other manufacturers that produce an equally "premium" feeling product

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cyloninside

@Alessandro1001 said:

@cyloninside:

I never ever use Mac os before , and I don't like it, I was intend to install windows on it .

What I like in MacBook air the good looking and its very slim , long battery . That it .

And of course guys , I ask in this forum because I'm looking for your Opinion .

So , after what I read , I will look for another laptops , like ultra book

if you honestly want something that is ultra portable and still powerful... buy a surface pro 3. get the i5, 8gb mem, 256gb model. they are excellent, have full windows 8.1, and laptop grade hardware. yes they are a bit expensive, but they are also worth every penny. they also have a very high resolution screen, and screenspace is only slightly smaller than a macbook air (12 inch vs 13 inch).

they are about the best portability vs power that you are going to find.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Alessandro1001 said:

what do you think ?

Go for it

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Juub1990

@cyloninside said:

@Juub1990 said:

they are cost prohibitive.... and there are plenty of other manufacturers that produce an equally "premium" feeling product

No there really aren't. In terms of build quality Apple laptops are second to none. The initial cost of ownership is high but factor that you get free OS upgrades, Pages, Numbers, Keynote(which are basically MS office most valuable apps) for free along with tons of built-in software, the cost makes a lot more sense. You also only need to go to your nearest Apple store and they usually fix the Mac within a week whereas with other laptops you gotta ship it back to the manufacturer and go through loads of crap before getting your issue fixed.

Last but not least, a Macbook Air of 900$ can easily sell for 600$ in a year if kept in good condition. No PC will ever fetch you that price. Used PC's are worthless on the market.

Alessandro1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Alessandro1001

@cyloninside:

I didn't like the surface pro because it's like tablet , and I didn't like the keyboard things

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cyloninside

@Juub1990 said:

@cyloninside said:

@Juub1990 said:

No there really aren't. In terms of build quality Apple laptops are second to none. The initial cost of ownership is high but factor that you get free OS upgrades, Pages, Numbers, Keynote(which are basically MS office most valuable apps) for free along with tons of built-in software, the cost makes a lot more sense. You also only need to go to your nearest Apple store and they usually fix the Mac within a week whereas with other laptops you gotta ship it back to the manufacturer and go through loads of crap before getting your issue fixed.

Last but not least, a Macbook Air of 900$ can easily sell for 600$ in a year if kept in good condition. No PC will ever fetch you that price. Used PC's are worthless on the market.

you wont get anyone on this forum to agree with you. mac's are overpriced garbage.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cyloninside

@Alessandro1001 said:

@cyloninside:

I didn't like the surface pro because it's like tablet , and I didn't like the keyboard things

it isnt a tablet though. it is a laptop minus the keyboard. it has full windows 8.1 and can do everything your laptop can do. you can also use bluetooth keyboards and mice with it if you dont like the surface keyboard.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990

@cyloninside said:

@Juub1990 said:

@cyloninside said:

@Juub1990 said:

you wont get anyone on this forum to agree with you. mac's are overpriced garbage.

Sounds like we have a butt-hurt Apple hater who's mad he can't afford their products.

http://www.laptopmag.com/best-laptops

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp

http://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-laptops_round-up

Seems like everybody else disagrees with you. I literally just googled Best laptops 2014 and took the first couple of links. Macbooks are consistently ranked among the best laptops. iMacs are an entirely different matter though.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

asking about mac on PC FORUMS? haha good luck with that...go to mac forums like macforums.com...them users can give you a better insight about macs since they actually use them

Alessandro1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Alessandro1001

What about razer blade 14 laptop , slim , good looking , powerful , can handle big games and it's good for work , I know it's overprice , but I think it's the only slim powerfull laptop in the market . My problems is razer will release new one this year , even maybe after 3 -4 months ???

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thehig1

@mike4realz: this part of the forum is actually called pc and Mac forums

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mike4realz

@thehig1: ya i know...it should just be called PC forums...mac is none existent in this forum...it just get bashed when someone mentions mac

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@Alessandro1001 said:

What about razer blade 14 laptop , slim , good looking , powerful , can handle big games and it's good for work , I know it's overprice , but I think it's the only slim powerfull laptop in the market . My problems is razer will release new one this year , even maybe after 3 -4 months ???

Check out instead MSI GS70 Stealth Pro

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=465 it's 200$ cheaper than the Razer crap and got 17' display instead of 14'.

Alessandro1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Alessandro1001

@PredatorRules:

Why it's crap? , and I realy want 14 or 15 at max

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cyloninside

@Alessandro1001 said:

@PredatorRules:

really hard for us to make suggestions when you gave no guidelines on what you wanted, and then we start making suggestions, and you just shoot everything down...

if you want suggestions, tell us what you want for specs and we might get somewhere

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GeryGo  Moderator

@Alessandro1001 said:

@PredatorRules:

Then get GS60 Ghost:

Loading Video...

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thehig1

@mike4realz said:

@thehig1: ya i know...it should just be called PC forums...mac is none existent in this forum...it just get bashed when someone mentions mac

true,I do some Mac bashing myself haha

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If I'm going to do video-editing with a Mac, I rather buy a Mac Mini or maybe an iMac. Video editing is very CPU intensive which can cause heat to build up. The slim ultrabook form factor may be pleasing to look at. But, I doubt it's good for heat dissipation. Mac laptops aren't immune to the overheating issues some Windows laptops have.

If I still decide to get a portable Mac, I'd go with a MacBook Pro rather than the Air.

Edit:

I have a bias toward the Mac Mini. I love the cute little form factor. ☺

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Juub1990

@cyloninside said:

@Juub1990 said:

@cyloninside said:

@Juub1990 said:

@cyloninside said:

@Juub1990 said:

Sounds like we have a butt-hurt Apple hater who's mad he can't afford their products.

http://www.laptopmag.com/best-laptops

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp

http://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-laptops_round-up

Seems like everybody else disagrees with you. I literally just googled Best laptops 2014 and took the first couple of links. Macbooks are consistently ranked among the best laptops. iMacs are an entirely different matter though.

sounds like you are just a fuckhead that is trying to start a fight.

i have OWNED macbooks and mac pros and imacs... and i have to work on them every day at work.

macs are overpriced garbage. get more mad that nobody on this forum is going to agree with your dumbass self. bye bye...run along

Anecdotal evidence isn't proof you. Nearly every website ranks Macbook among the best laptops.

Again, you can call them overpriced but you can resell them for a great value which greatly mitigates the initial cost of ownership. You'll sell a PC for peanuts once it's used. A Macbook can still be sold at a rather high price. Also what's wrong with them? Certainly not the material as Macbooks are made with high-quality components. They just lack in the graphics department but you have to sacrifice that if you want low power consumption and get a long battery life. Is it OS X? Worse case you can run Parallel or install Boot Camp. You haven't even provided a reason why Macbooks are garbage. You just keep bashing the products with no justification and haven't even countered the points I made.

You're the one trying to start a fight it seems.

@Alessandro1001

Absolutely no reason. He keeps saying they're crap but gives no explanation as to why. Sounds like someone you wanna take advice from right?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I'm not a fan of macbooks but I think there's a bit too much hating in this thread.

Macbooks have brilliant build quality and great battery life. They also have incredible resale value compared with windows laptops. I wouldn't personally buy one, but they certainly have advantages.

Also for those talking about 'PC forums', PC is Personal Computer - a mac is a PC.

Alessandro1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Alessandro1001

@Juub1990:

Apple product is really high quilty, when I buy somthing from them like iPhone or iPad i don't care about warranty .

My problems is Mac os , I didn't ever use it before

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Apple's build quality is second to none. I owned an IMac about 6-7 years ago and I loved it. The price of admission is higher, but I feel the quality makes it worth it.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mike4realz

@kraken2109: if u didn't know, when the IBM PC came out, it was the first to wear the PC label and the term PC came to mean IBM or 100% IBM-compatible, excluding Macintoshes

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cyloninside

@kraken2109 said:

I'm not a fan of macbooks but I think there's a bit too much hating in this thread.

Macbooks have brilliant build quality and great battery life. They also have incredible resale value compared with windows laptops. I wouldn't personally buy one, but they certainly have advantages.

Also for those talking about 'PC forums', PC is Personal Computer - a mac is a PC.

macs are not PCs... not in the classification sense of the term PC. PC refers to an "ibm compatible" computer. until apple made the switch to intel based architecture that was not true of macs. they will never be associated with the term PC.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jun_aka_pekto

Nowadays, Macs can boot up Windows natively and run Windows apps and games natively. That aspect makes them "PC" enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

If you really want a Mac get the Macbook Pro, not the Air. The screen on the Air is barely mediocre for a laptop of its class.

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

get an lenovo y50 or a acer aspire nitro instead

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GeryGo  Moderator

@Alessandro1001 said:

@Juub1990:

Apple product is really high quilty, when I buy somthing from them like iPhone or iPad i don't care about warranty .

Then buy it and replace the OS into Windows.

If you don't know how to do so, there're guides on google and Youtube - just don't come back and complain about performance issues with games.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jun_aka_pekto

@PredatorRules said:

@Alessandro1001 said:

@Juub1990:

If you don't know how to do so, there're guides on google and Youtube - just don't come back and complain about performance issues with games.

It's probably a good idea to maintain a small partition with a minimal install of OSX. After all, the Windows install still need the drivers Apple provides plus, you want to keep Apple updates/patches coming. Some of them can be related to EFI and Windows drivers.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cyloninside

@PredatorRules said:

@Alessandro1001 said:

@Juub1990:

sure i mean... cash can be used to wipe your ass as well... why doesnt he just wipe his ass with his money?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

This is a reminder that users should observe the site's terms of use when posting. The OP's question can easily be answered, and subsequent discussion conducted, without resulting to personal attacks

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GeryGo  Moderator

@xantufrog said:

This is a reminder that users should observe the site's terms of use when posting. The OP's question can easily be answered, and subsequent discussion conducted, without resulting to personal attacks

No one attacks the OP, he came for advise; now it's he's own choise to either take it or ignore it and do whatever he wishes for - in the end of it all, it's his money.

Most of us users on this forum will agree that Apple's products are way too pricy for the tech they provide (IMO I don't see anything good from that company except for their Mac Pro)

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Macbook airs are fine for the same things you can do with a chromebook, i got my wife a macbook air on ebay. Apple support sucks really bad, frustrating beyond words. And I've dealt with Dell, lenovo/IBM, HP and Apple support at work. (IT professional)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@xantufrog said:

No one attacks the OP, he came for advise; now it's he's own choise to either take it or ignore it and do whatever he wishes for - in the end of it all, it's his money.

Most of us users on this forum will agree that Apple's products are way too pricy for the tech they provide (IMO I don't see anything good from that company except for their Mac Pro)

No, nobody attacked the OP, but there was some over-the-top posting directed at others. It's been taken care of - just wanted to send out a more general reminder. Carry on :-)