Is it normal for a plasma tv to get hot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by The_Weird_Guy (668 posts) -

I have a 42" Panasonic Viera plasma tv. The thing emits a lot of heat when it's on. In the winter, I don't even need to put the heat on because my tv makes my bedroom warm enough on it's own. And if I have my PS3 on at the same time, forget about it! It's like the two try and compete to see which one can get hotter.

Is this normal?

#2 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26256 posts) -

Yes. Plasmas are hotter than LCDs and way way hotter than LEDs. You know its working if its hot. If you can cook an egg on it then it might be too hot :P

#3 Posted by The_Weird_Guy (668 posts) -
Other than the heat factor, what advantages do LCD and LED have over plasma tvs (if any)?
#4 Posted by GTR12 (10114 posts) -

Other than the heat factor, what advantages do LCD and LED have over plasma tvs (if any)?The_Weird_Guy

Extremely low power usage.

#5 Posted by atc-fanatic (973 posts) -

i have 2 plamas in my house. a hitachi 50in with a 1280x1080 res and a panasonic viera 46in 1080p. and my panasonic emits alot more heat than the hitachi it literally heats up my livin room. a couple of my friends purchased the panasonic plamas because they were cheap in price and they all run like easy bake ovens.

#6 Posted by rastan (1405 posts) -
Actually, standard LCD and plasma are pretty close in power usage for regular TV viewing (LCD uses the same power all of the time whereas plasma uses more power on bright screens and very little power on dark screens. LED based LCD's can be even more efficient than CFL based LCD's especially localized dimming ones. A properly calibrated 50" plasma will probably use 200-300 watts with real world material and probably twice that with a pure white test screen whereas a 52" LCD will have a more consistent draw (mostly based on the level of the backlight) around 150-250 watts. Localized dimming LED based LCD's can get as low as 100-150 watts. In real world terms for the US, your talking about $40/year vs $60/year based on an average of having the TV on 5 hour per day. Many magazines have stories on this as well as CNET, wiki, etc.