Is it me? want opinions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by robokill (1306 posts) -

I am just asking for honest opinions, not trying to troll of piss people off. Basically I really don't enjoy many games these days;

1. If the game is online I find the online games are too much of a grind aimed towards repetitive unlocking. I've got the new battlefield and can't play it. I find no enjoyment in it whatsoever. Other games like Dota2, path of exile are just insanely repetitive

2.If the game is single player I get half way through and then just find it repetitive. I don't know why but I just don't finish many games out of feeling like I'm in a grind, everything is an unlock and some xp to the next level, over and over again.

Compounded to this I find that many games are lower qulity these days, I enjoyed Battlefield 1942 exponentially more than BF4. Everything these days just seems watered down and less refined, feels like the games are no longer about the passion of making games and more about attracting as many customers as possible through various marketing tactics (on disc dlc) being the most insulting. I used to love spending my free time playing games but now I always end up just turning them off because of the grind or because I realize I'm just mad and not having fun. Is this just me or is the industry different than it used to be?

#2 Posted by wis3boi (32498 posts) -

They arent lower quality, you've lost interest in games. You also have a bad case of nostalgia goggles. Perhaps you need a new hobby

#3 Edited by robokill (1306 posts) -

I definitely have lost interest in the games I see nowadays. As far as nostalgia I really don't think so, in Battlefield 1942 and 2 you had huge maps where the game was based around strategic battles where you'd have time to create a plan. BF4 has drastically smaller maps than it's predecessors and is extremely claustrophobic that forces people into the xp grind over trying to create strategies to win the match.

#4 Edited by bigfootpart2 (167 posts) -

Battlefield isn't really Battlefield these days. It's basically been turned into a run and gun style Call of Duty clone that just happens to have vehicles. They're also getting to the point where they pump them out really frequently just like Call of Duty.

#5 Posted by PredatorRules (10387 posts) -

Every game eventually gets in some point repetitve, I can offer you great SP games I'm currently playing: Witcher 2, Driver San Francisco, Brutal Doom, Fallout 3 GOTY, Batman Arkham City GOTY.

For multi I'd recommend MechWarrior Online, Planetside 2

#6 Edited by robokill (1306 posts) -

All those SP games were awsome, never played Driver. Might give it a shot. Mechwarrior and Planetside are both xp grinders that get repetitive, planetside especially so.

#7 Posted by Falconoffury (1722 posts) -

I see robokill's points here. Most games are watered down compared to a decade ago. There are also more grindy games. If you are looking for games that throw new challenges at you on a regular basis without a progression grind, I feel that some games still do that. Some indie games like Plants vs Zombies, Papers Please, and Limbo are pretty fresh on the first playthrough all the way to the end.

I disagree on online multiplayer. Those have always been repetitive. The difference today is that there are more unlocks and stuff like that to grind, but the gameplay is no less repetitive.

#8 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

@bigfootpart2 said:

Battlefield isn't really Battlefield these days. It's basically been turned into a run and gun style Call of Duty clone that just happens to have vehicles. They're also getting to the point where they pump them out really frequently just like Call of Duty.

Battlefield 3/4 (and BC) are unique games that do not play anything like CoD and IMO they are quite unique, then again I say Halo (before crap 4) is too and most people seem to disagree. I just know these game have there own identities and they are far from being a so called CoD clone.

#9 Edited by robokill (1306 posts) -

I guess I just wish games had more depth and less breadth, they start to cross the line between fun and work for me. Something like developers don't really have the time and energy to create fully fleshed out experiences so they take one thing and then tweak it a million times to make you chase unlocks. I can't remember the last time there was a game like Fallout that made me really feel like I was in the game, when the interface and story perfectly meld together and you get this feeling of immersion.

So many games these days never grab me at all and the immersion is broken before it starts (especially when there is dlc on the disc). Everyone's talking about how awsome Star Citizen is going to be but that one already seems like a grind to earn more money to earn a bigger ship to get more powerful with people already spending more than $1000 on in game items. What happened to a game being awsome when you just turn it on? I remember playing Mario 64 the first time, turn it on and I was in awe at how much effort went into making the game fun. It's like somewhere along the line the importance of fun got lost and developers got lost trying to make games that forces people to spend time unlocking things. When a game feels like a chore or a job I can't play it, go pick this up, kill this many people with this gun, collect this many items. Why can't I just have the thing you're going to give me and let me have fun with it or give it to me in a way that naturally progresses through the game.

#10 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6301 posts) -

Cosolization, CoD and WoW changed everything.

After WoW nobody could sell a non-watered down MMO

After CoD nobody could sell a solid shooter.

Bottom line?

If it's not fun, don't play it, there are alternatives, might not sell millions of copies, but as long as the community has a few hundred or a few thousand people, that's all it needs.

#11 Posted by robokill (1306 posts) -

Seems kind of like the music industry to me, it was filled with passion and creativity and then once big companies started to accumulate large amounts of wealth every song (game) is based on a formula so that it can appeal to as large of an audience as possible and thus alienates it's original fans. Just look at Crysis 1 compared to Crysis 3. Groundbreaking open world vs. linear corridor shooter.

#12 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6301 posts) -

You can still find what you like

You just have to look outside the limelight

You're not going to get Pink Floyd experience at a Katy Perry concert.

#13 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2727 posts) -

developers have become infected with this modern disease called Codization. true story

#14 Posted by RevanBITW (739 posts) -

@ZombieKiller7 said:

Cosolization, CoD and WoW changed everything.

After WoW nobody could sell a non-watered down MMO

After CoD nobody could sell a solid shooter.

After WoW, EVE Online happened, pretty radically different and pretty successful. And can you say for sure there would've been a lot of good MMOs if WoW never came out?

After CoD, more Battlefield games kept coming out, also games like Borderlands, Bioshock, Metro, Red Orchestra 2 and Natural Selection 2. There is no lack of various FPS.

#15 Posted by death4us2 (43 posts) -

It seems to me you are ready to get into Rpgs and Stragedy games. If I can beat a game within a day then I find it a waste of money and online gaming has lost its appeal with to many games that are the same.

#16 Posted by KHAndAnime (16430 posts) -

@robokill said:

I am just asking for honest opinions, not trying to troll of piss people off. Basically I really don't enjoy many games these days;

1. If the game is online I find the online games are too much of a grind aimed towards repetitive unlocking. I've got the new battlefield and can't play it. I find no enjoyment in it whatsoever. Other games like Dota2, path of exile are just insanely repetitive

2.If the game is single player I get half way through and then just find it repetitive. I don't know why but I just don't finish many games out of feeling like I'm in a grind, everything is an unlock and some xp to the next level, over and over again.

Compounded to this I find that many games are lower qulity these days, I enjoyed Battlefield 1942 exponentially more than BF4. Everything these days just seems watered down and less refined, feels like the games are no longer about the passion of making games and more about attracting as many customers as possible through various marketing tactics (on disc dlc) being the most insulting. I used to love spending my free time playing games but now I always end up just turning them off because of the grind or because I realize I'm just mad and not having fun. Is this just me or is the industry different than it used to be?

Games are pretty grindy, but it's better to simply ignore unlock progressions in multiplayer games. Enjoy the game for the gameplay, not the unlocks. Those aren't there to be the main reason to play the game. I have a hard time playing through most games because like you, I find them to be too repetitive. I just focus on playing what I find fun and ignoring what I don't. I loved the hell out of every Battlefield game up until BF: BC2, and then BF3 lost my interest. I won't argue that the series has gotten progressively worse, but it has gotten progressively different from its roots.