Is it hard to get used to playing fps on pc

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nigby786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nigby786
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
I've been playing consoles since i was a kid and i just got a pc.
TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts
Considering you haven't really played PCs much, it might take some getting used to. FPSs are easiest (in my opinion) with a mouse and keyboard.
nigby786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nigby786
i just started playing the crysis demo and cod4 last saturday so i could practice
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
It will take some getting used to, but mouse and keyboard are endlessly superior in terms of accuracy and speed.
nigby786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nigby786
i got the aiming part down but im sometimes getting the buttons on the keyboard confused
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
No, not really.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#7 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
Actually I think it is a lot harder the other way around. I have found it damn near impossible to use a controller since I have played the PC almost exclusively for the last decade.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Mouse+Keyboard is the best way to play FPS.
blue_sparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blue_sparks
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts
I'd say all shooter control schemes are difficult to get used to at first because you have to get used to movement rate, key layout, sensitivity, etc. However, from playing on both consoles and PC's, I've found that the mouse/keyboard scheme is much more precise and sensitive, which makes it much easier to play shooters. IMO consoles are only better for vehicles.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
If you use the computer a lot for like going on the internet and type a lot it doesn't take long to get used to. Thats how it went for me when I first started playing PC games, after playing consoles for so long.
purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts
No, it's pretty easy to get integrated into the keyboard-mouse combo. Just find the right sensitivity for you.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
I started FPS gaming with Wolfenstein 3D so mouse & keyboard are like second nature to me. It took me a while to get used to using a controler when I finaly started playing FPS on consoles even though I've been playing console games since Pong. Mouse & keyboard are definately superior once you get the hang of it.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

don't worry man just play more and you will find the speed and action you get much better than any controller.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
btw i think best way to learn using kb +m perfectly would be to get a ut game and play some bots.
joep0113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 joep0113
Member since 2005 • 140 Posts
ahh....this brings me back to the days of my First FPS game, Battlefield 1942. i use BF1942's control layout for every FPS ive ever played on PC. WASD (of course), Ctrl = Crouch, Z = Prone.....and more recently shirt for sprint and middle mouse button for melee.
terryshaw09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 terryshaw09
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
FPS's started on the pc
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

FPS's started on the pcterryshaw09

That they did with Wolfenstein 3D. They didn't really get any kind of love on the consoles untill the PS2 and Xbox.

dbrinto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dbrinto
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

AAHHH Wolf 3D, those were the days... anyway, it'll probably be weird at first, but you can be a lot more accurate with a mouse than with a console controller. Eventually you'll realize why FPS's are meant to be played on PCs

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

i got the aiming part down but im sometimes getting the buttons on the keyboard confusednigby786

It's just like holding that game controller the first time, you hit some buttons you don't wanna hit, but in the end, you are a master.

I'm such a PC guy that when I play with a controller, people think I haven't even played a VG before.

Gaming4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gaming4_Life
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts
We all started out with consoles. The transition is brutal at first, especially if you are a hardcore FPS player. If you can get past the learning curve you will love it.
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
I'd say FPS' are the simplest of all genres, you probably just need to get used to the controls. Just keep playing and you'll be fine. :P
Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts
Practice Practice Practice! After a while you'll get used to using the mouse/Key combo then you won't be able to go back. I remember when GTA3 came out for the ps2, (I like certain genres on console, sports etc)I was playing it trying to use that bloody controller to snipe with. needless to say I was screaming for a mouse after about two seconds. I like prefer controllers for sports games, and JRPGs admittedly.
kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts
i didnt have any probs going from console to pc..maybe some keyboard buttoms..after 1+year of playing with mouse/keyboard i got a x360 controller for pc...i couldnt even play for 5 mins :O
stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

I've been playing consoles since i was a kid and i just got a pc.nigby786

Its the only way,once you get used to the change you'll probably never want to go back to playing them on consoles,I know I didn't.

pdkkbarnes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pdkkbarnes1
Member since 2003 • 391 Posts
The best part is that you can set up the controls to be the same for almost every FPS. That way you don't have to relearn controls for every game.
Earthwormjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Earthwormjam
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts
a mouse and keyboard best suits me for FPS . . .
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I prefer keyboard and mouse for FPS. The last couple of generations of consoles have improved controller functionality for shooters, but are still lacking to some extend. Particularly with respect to aiming precision. Controllers have enough buttons to cover most of the basics of controls, but the layout is a bit better with keyboards and mice. You can just have a lot more functions keyed rather than using contextual menus and the like as a work around.

I imagine it'll take time if you've only used controllers for shooters, but once you pick it up it'll be a lot nicer. It took me a long time to be able to get used to shooters on consoles. Most of that was due to the Halo control scheme that's been used in every console shooter since.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I've always found keyboard and mouse a very natural feeling control setup for most genres - especially FPS.

If you're really struggling to get into it, consider trying a few of these:

• Start out with a corrirdor shooter like Quake 4. You have small, narrow areas so your enemies are almost always right in front of you. Playing a corridor shooter would be an easy way to get used to mousework.
  • Reconfigure the controls if they aren't working for you. I always reconfigure my controls - in every game - to a control scheme that I'm comfortable with. That also means it's easy to remember the keys. I don't use wasd, but arrow keys - I know it's generally frowned upon by the community, but it works for me. It may or may not work for you, but it's good to have your own personal schemes, and configure every game to suit you.
  • Tinker! One of the great things about the PC is there are hundreds of settings you can change. Try changing your mouse sensitivity, try inverting the mouse axis. Play around with camerabob and other options.Just play around with everything, almost every game has a return to default settings button, so you can't screw anything up.
  • Consider playing on easy. I know, I know, you're a hardcore gamer, it's a matter of pride that you never play anything on easy. We've all been there. But don't run before you can walk - maybe even try cheating. Not in a way that would ruin a game, but to get used to how things play.

Yeah, though, the keyboard and mouse is just an extremely natural control setup - the FPS genre was literally built around it, they go hand in hand, and with a little practice, you'll be headshotting in no time.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

[QUOTE="terryshaw09"]FPS's started on the pcthanatose

That they did with Wolfenstein 3D. They didn't really get any kind of love on the consoles untill the PS2 and Xbox.

What about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark???

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
[QUOTE="thanatose"]

[QUOTE="terryshaw09"]FPS's started on the pcDGFreak

That's only two games buddy, look at the long list of FPS on PC.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

[QUOTE="DGFreak"][QUOTE="thanatose"]

[QUOTE="terryshaw09"]FPS's started on the pcNoldorin2646

That's only two games buddy, look at the long list of FPS on PC.

The original playstation had a great version of Doom, Exhumed and Quake 2 as well as a passable port of Duke Nukem 3D. The Quake 2 port was actually mouse compatible, and was pretty great. The SNES also had a pretty good port of doom if my memory is working properly, and the Jaguar had a really great Alien vs Predator. Probably the only good game on the Jaguar.

But you and thanatose aren't exactly wrong - fps games weren't recognised by the console mainstream until halo.

nigby786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nigby786

Thanks guys,Im thinking of getting Counter Strike: Anthology tommorow.

psyko_Reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 psyko_Reaper
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts

it's a bit hard at first but once u get used to the button position (if u used a pc to do word processing then u've probably got that down) and get the "schematics" of their relative position also it's quite easy.

as for mouse aiming, u get used to it really fast, it's actually harder to addapt to an analog then to a mouse

tip: ur base position on the keyboard and mouse should be 1 hand in the mouse and the other on the AWD buttons (index on the D if ur right handed) that's the fastest position for action and movement buttons access

Hyper1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hyper1138
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
For god sakes start with WASD and stay there. The old school Doom was my first PC game and when I first looked at the keyboard I was like... got it arrow keys = movement and I have been stuck ever since. I feel so cramped using em because of the lack of buttons but when I try to go WASD its like a drunken chicken in traffic I get spalltered all over the place and say fug it and go back to my arrows :D
jjjhsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jjjhsmith
Member since 2003 • 799 Posts
All I have to say is this. There is a reason console FPS games have autoaim and PC games dont. Once you get used to the key placement, it is by far the superior control scheme (and much more customizable to your own comfort.) Mouse and keyboard for the win.
teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 teirdome
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts

You also can't forget Jurassic Park for SNES that had FPS indoor and 3rd person scroller outdoors.

But you and thanatose aren't exactly wrong - fps games weren't recognised by the console mainstream until halo.

mfsa

But don't deny the power of Goldeneye. My high school weekends were occasionally consumed by that game. I would still agree that Halo, and only because of the online multiplayer, made the FPS mainstream on the console.

And honestly, I'm still not sure that console "FPSes" qualify. They're first person and you kinda shoot stuff, but the auto-aim does a lot for you too. To me, they're as much plain action games.

Also, have you ever wondered how lefties play PC FPSes? Just seems weird to me to think about my movement hand being my right hand.

lonegardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lonegardian
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

Considering you haven't really played PCs much, it might take some getting used to. FPSs are easiest (in my opinion) with a mouse and keyboard. TheMotherBrain

I fully agree, you have a bette control with the mouse and the keyboard

MxAxSxH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MxAxSxH
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

Also, have you ever wondered how lefties play PC FPSes? Just seems weird to me to think about my movement hand being my right hand.

teirdome

Me neither, and I am a leftie :lol: .

SeriousSean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 SeriousSean
Member since 2004 • 192 Posts
Lefties generally use the same control scheme as righties.