Is HAWX a good game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I've been wanting to play good air combat game with jets. Sadly, they are all on consoles, or not many of them to see. The only one I know of right now is HAWX. Can anyone tell me how long the single player game is? I played the demo and thought it was alright, if the single player is long and has a good story ill pick it up. I have a 360 controller if I dislike the PC controls.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
It's not a good game. It's a great game. If you like air-combat, go GET this game! You won't find any better.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Dunno, I got bored of it in a week or two.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

lol No its laughable with a really idiotic control system and cheesy combat.

Also, get this: UBIsoft=mediocre at best.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

My friends love it. As long as you understand it's arcade, it seems like you'll have a blast.

xxxDirtyJoexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxxDirtyJoexxx
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Great game, has about 20 missions i think and lots of airplanes, but theres also multiplayer co-op and versus.

The only thing i hate about it is the high pitch target lock sounds cuz they sound like car alarm but i guess its authentic, a female voice saying target locked would be nicer...

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#7 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts
It's ok but nothing special...I got bored of it,but it's kinda fun at first:D
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

GazaAli
It's supposed to have cheesy combat... it's an ARCADE Air Combat Game, not a SIM... And Ubisoft make great games....their ports and DRM are crap sometimes though...
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

FelipeInside
It's supposed to have cheesy combat... it's an ARCADE Air Combat Game, not a SIM... And Ubisoft make great games....their ports and DRM are crap sometimes though...

AC, POP forgotten sands, SC:C all disagree with you and agree with the port part.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]

GazaAli

AC, POP forgotten sands, SC:C all disagree with you and agree with the port part.

idk about PoP FG but SC:C was a good port. AC was too.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

GazaAli

I liked AC although I agree it was somewhat repetitive. PoP was still a fun game, but obviously not as good as the others. SC:C was great... just had a few optimization issues, apart from that it was good fun. How about? Rayman Splinter Cell Series Far Cry the list goes on...
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GazaAli
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] It's supposed to have cheesy combat... it's an ARCADE Air Combat Game, not a SIM... And Ubisoft make great games....their ports and DRM are crap sometimes though...

I liked AC although I agree it was somewhat repetitive. PoP was still a fun game, but obviously not as good as the others. SC:C was great... just had a few optimization issues, apart from that it was good fun. How about? Rayman Splinter Cell Series Far Cry the list goes on...

I really love UBIsoft older games like POP SOT, WW, T2T. I always felt that they have a dedication to PC gaming. Suddenly they changed their style and started making games that do not fit them.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] AC, POP forgotten sands, SC:C all disagree with you and agree with the port part.

I really love UBIsoft older games like POP SOT, WW, T2T. I always felt that they have a dedication to PC gaming. Suddenly they changed their style and started making games that do not fit them.

I don't think it's a change of style, it's just that they have stuck to their best selling titles and they are getting repeated.... I still respect them for their games, but not how they have treated PC Gamers in the past few years with bad ports and DRM...
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#14 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
It's okay. An arcade game with lots of barrel rolls and things exploding. Easy to get into and the combat is fun. Missions are formulaic and the story is bland, but this is the best game of this genre you can get on the PC, unless Namco starts porting the Ace Combat games over.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

If you want jet combat, LoMac is it. DCS Black Shark is too if you like helicopters and made by the same people who made LoMac. Food for thought, Ubi's PC game sales dropped 13% last quarter over the same quarter the previous year. This is due to DRM, lack of support and general shoddiness of the PC games they made or ported from console games.

ner38073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ner38073
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts
I was about to play this game at my cousin's house but some noisy people came in and they got control of the moment and did not let me play...
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
It's not bad, but it's not as good as ace combat.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Not a bad game, there is a demo I think if you wanna try that first.

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

The story was pretty bad IMO... Basically about a PMC force that grows to rival the US military in power and trys to take over... Which is ridiculous considering it is advertised as "Tom Clancy's" which are normally geopolitical in nature and VERY realistic...

antics101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 antics101
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts

The game is great, but I'd get it for console since PC version is really really bad.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

The story was pretty bad IMO... Basically about a PMC force that grows to rival the US military in power and trys to take over... Which is ridiculous considering it is advertised as "Tom Clancy's" which are normally geopolitical in nature and VERY realistic...

Buttons1990
Yeah, Tom Clancy is only in the brand nowadays though. He hasn't been involved in a game of his for a long time. The game is fun, very fun, don't expect a sim, expect an arcady control scheme with 251082501 missiles at your disposal.
Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

rmfd341

Yeah, Tom Clancy is only in the brand nowadays though. He hasn't been involved in a game of his for a long time. The game is fun, very fun, don't expect a sim, expect an arcady control scheme with 251082501 missiles at your disposal.

Oh I know he has nothing to do with the games... Not since Red Storm Entertainment and the original Rainbow Six's were bought by Ubisoft...

I just meant his namesake... It is usually synonymous with realism... Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell have, in the past, been very realistic... Now they are turning ridiculous... Come to think about it, Splinter Cell Conviction was the same way... A Rogue CIA guy with a PMC army backing him trying to take over the country...

Come on Tom Clancy... Call Ubisoft up and be like "wtf man?"...

BlackCl0ud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BlackCl0ud
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
It's a great game but, you should wait for H.A.W.X. 2. The landscapes are just fantastic. I must say I didn't played the first but I'll definitely play the 2nd.
ajaynammi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ajaynammi
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

it is a good game..but the gameplay is very easy..

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rmfd341

[QUOTE="rmfd341"][QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

Buttons1990

Oh I know he has nothing to do with the games... Not since Red Storm Entertainment and the original Rainbow Six's were bought by Ubisoft...

I just meant his namesake... It is usually synonymous with realism... Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell have, in the past, been very realistic... Now they are turning ridiculous... Come to think about it, Splinter Cell Conviction was the same way... A Rogue CIA guy with a PMC army backing him trying to take over the country...

Come on Tom Clancy... Call Ubisoft up and be like "wtf man?"...

He did say that regarding the first googles Sam used, which had nightvision and thermal vision at the same time, but Ubisoft said that having two googles would make gameplay awkward, I agree with them. I think the story in Conviction is pretty good, it reminds me of XXX2.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

The game is great, but I'd get it for console since PC version is really really bad.

antics101
Why is that? My PC version worked flawlessly...
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rmfd341
[QUOTE="antics101"]

FelipeInside
Why is that? My PC version worked flawlessly...

Except for the fact that my video card can't handle the game, I'd say mine too.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Tom Clancy really hasn't had much to say about game direction since Splinter Cell. Once Ubi bought the rights to his name, Ubi is able to slap his name on anything no matter how far outside the realm of realism it is. HAWX is an example of how far outside realism games with his name on it go. From the first time I saw jets streaking through a concrete jungle and making 90 degree turns between skyscrapers, I knew it was not going to be of sim quality.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Somewhat.

The controls are totally screwed up, you'll have to tamper with them quite a bit to get them working properly.

The campaign is painfully easy to go through and short, and the aircraft selection is lacking.

I wouldn't suggest buying it for more than 20$.

yemen_headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yemen_headshot
Member since 2010 • 514 Posts
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

AC is a great game, how come you say its mediocre !!!!!!!!!!
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
It was ok. Had some weird glitches and broken triggers, which only seemed to be a problem to me and no one else.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

AC is a great game, how come you say its mediocre !!!!!!!!!!yemen_headshot

Indeed.

AC2 is mediocre, AC is trash.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

its like an ace combat game on pc and thats fine with me, plus its really cheap now so why not?

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

If you want jet combat, LoMac is it. DCS Black Shark is too if you like helicopters and made by the same people who made LoMac. Food for thought, Ubi's PC game sales dropped 13% last quarter over the same quarter the previous year. This is due to DRM, lack of support and general shoddiness of the PC games they made or ported from console games.

WhiteKnight77

Yeah Lock On or Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. Black Shark is incredible for helicopters, if you're into WW2 combat the best is IL-2: 1946, for WW1 there's Rise of Flight.

xxxDirtyJoexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xxxDirtyJoexxx
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

antics101

WTF dude? PCversion works flawlessly for me, not one glitch or frame rate drop. A bad/bugged game is something like Silent Hunter 5 or Guild series.

antics101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 antics101

[QUOTE="antics101"]

xxxDirtyJoexxx

WTF dude? PCversion works flawlessly for me, not one glitch or frame rate drop. A bad/bugged game is something like Silent Hunter 5 or Guild series.

Ubisoft always bone the PC version, saw a lot of trouble in steam forums. I have it for 360 and thought it was fun.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="xxxDirtyJoexxx"]

[QUOTE="antics101"]

antics101

Ubisoft always bone the PC version, saw a lot of trouble in steam forums. I have it for 360 and thought it was fun.

Not ALWAYS. AC1 + AC2 worked flawlessly for me.... as did HAWX and quite a few other Ubisoft titles. With Ubisoft it's kind of a guess....some games work perfectly on PC, others have issues....
antics101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 antics101

[QUOTE="antics101"]

[QUOTE="xxxDirtyJoexxx"]

FelipeInside

Not ALWAYS. AC1 + AC2 worked flawlessly for me.... as did HAWX and quite a few other Ubisoft titles. With Ubisoft it's kind of a guess....some games work perfectly on PC, others have issues....

AC1 was fine but after getting SCC and rainbow six vegas on PC it left a bad taste for me.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

Every ace combat game ever is better. I got it as a free game when I bought my 4890 and played it for like 5 minutes. Maybe I didn't give it enough time but it just was not fun at all. Maxed on pc its just not impressive. Lame effects.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#40 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Every ace combat game ever is better. I got it as a free game when I bought my 4890 and played it for like 5 minutes. Maybe I didn't give it enough time but it just was not fun at all. Maxed on pc its just not impressive. Lame effects.

blues35301
Yeah, compared to the Ace Combat games HAWX is far inferior. I played Ace Combat 4 on a friend's PS2, and that game stomps all over HAWX and leaves it in a pool of bloody gory mess. But as far as a game of this kind on the PC goes (i.e. arcade flight combat - not simulators), HAWX is probably one of the best or the best there is, because there are very few out there.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

GazaAli

I agree ubisoft has the most dumbed down games in the video game business as a whole...they are really quite laughable now.

ner38073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ner38073
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts
It's more on the bad side than the good one, but it's not for a good gamer.
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

It's like a shiny Ace Combat ripoff with a stupid plot.

My little brother loves it, though, so it makes a good kiddy game.