Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So, I was thinking of getting this game, open world, single player yet MMO with choices affecting the world.

Sounds great.

But the Steam reviews are mixed....another but is that the recent Steam reviews are all positive.

So WTF, mate? Good or not?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

SALE yes and don't forget horizons which should be base game to begin with. With out horizon you cant land on planets.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@skipper847: Are you saying it's only worth it when it's on sale?

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Sounds like No Man's Sky - or am I way off?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By skipper847

I played it last night for first time in ages. It what it should have been in the first place when first released. Its a lot better now. But again to get most out of it you need horizons. No its nothing like no mans sky its a lot better. Everything has change since I last played from menus been updated to mission overall. I think there 2 more updates yet to horizons currently on 2.1.05.

Just like most games these days buy half a game and pay rest in DLC.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skipper847

I just gave my brother my old PC which is capable of running ED. He not bought a game in years and bought ED with horizons as he grew up with Elite on amiga which he liked. He only played 3 hours of it so far and he does like ED even though it took him 30 mins to land.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

@skipper847: It is sort of a mmorpg space mmorpg..Most mmorpg take a few years to get going..They had the base game in last year..Star citizen will be same way when it launches..There more expansions coming an they havent given up on there game..Ill give braden credit..

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Sounds like No Man's Sky - or am I way off?

way off, well kind of.

Elite: Dangerous is a lot like a "realistic" space sim; it takes longer to navigate, they've sort of exagerated the physics so it feels like you're in control of a substantial ship. Exploration is rewarded, but not quite as detailed as MS (you're discovering planets, stars, celestial bodies...not so much plants and animals).

Combat is A LOT better in Elite: Dangerous, where as in NMS it might as well not exist given how terrible it is (the combat...I still kind of like NMS).

There's actual, real trade in Elite: Dangerous whereas in NMS you're just kind of selling what you find. There's a faction system in Elite: Dangerous. You can bounty hunt, pirate, transport cargo, smuggle, explore...all manner of things.

Elite: Dangerous has a a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE system to explore. Not sure of the numbers, but you could play it for months (years?) and never visit the same planet. Sure NMS has 14 quadrillion planets (or whatever), but how many do you need?

NMS is kind of like Dr. Seuss in space; goofy, weird, appealing, but light

Elite: Dangerous is like, idunno...Tom Clancy in space? Serious, dark and technical and cold, and heavy and "realistic".

I think if youre a space sim fan, Elite: Dangerous is the way to go. I have only played the vanilla base version they have quite a few more things going on now I believe. I might actually get into it again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

It's a cool game with a sense of wonder very few games have.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It's a cool game with a sense of wonder very few games have.

indeed, will never forget the first time I jumped into a binary star system. Almost flew into one of the stars, but after the "crap, crap, CRAP!" moment wore off it was quite majestic.

exploration is very fun, very rewarding. @mr_huggles_dog I suggest looking up some videos of what career path (exploration, trade, combat, piracy, etc) sounds interesting to you to see what the game is about.

Honestly my only criticism of the game is FTL travel but once you get that technique down (and it is a technique!) it is a very fun game!