Is EA ruining the C&C franchise?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mindlessworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mindlessworks
Member since 2007 • 135 Posts
I'm pretty sure most of the devs from Westwood left after the merge to EA. I dunno I just think they're killing it with the 'Scrin' race. thoughts?
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
I don't think EA will "kill" anything by adding too much stuff into it or by innovating it. Only way they might kill it is by keeping it the same instead of taking chances and developing the gameplay further, but I'm not sure if that counts as killing since I'm pretty sure that's what cnc fans want.
kvn8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kvn8907
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
That's exactly my biggest fear with CnC3. I havn't played it yet, but I have a bad feeling about it after playing Generals and Generals Zero Hour. All Command and Conquer games prior were fun games, with fun missions, interesting units, good music, a strong storyline, and cutscenes that motivated you to play. Generals was a shell of a game. It's missions were slow and dull, it's units and music boring, its storyline weak, and cutscenes virtually nonexistant. It was like EA was saying "we're better than Westwood because we can animate floods". Pretty much the whole pull of the Generals games, besides them being part of the CnC series (don't know why. no real connection to CnC. They're more along the lines of Age of Empires set in modern times than Command and Conquer games), is that EA made it, and it's graphics were pretty. And yet, that was pretty much all it did well, and it used CG floods and avalances so much it seemed kind of pretentious. I'm afraid CnC3 will be the same things, a game touched by EA's evil hand (I didn't have bad feeling for them until Generals), creating a game more focused on being "pretty" than quality of any of the other numerous things that goes into a good game.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
That's exactly my biggest fear with CnC3. I havn't played it yet, but I have a bad feeling about it after playing Generals and Generals Zero Hour. All Command and Conquer games prior were fun games, with fun missions, interesting units, good music, a strong storyline, and cutscenes that motivated you to play. Generals was a shell of a game. It's missions were slow and dull, it's units and music boring, its storyline weak, and cutscenes virtually nonexistant. It was like EA was saying "we're better than Westwood because we can animate floods". Pretty much the whole pull of the Generals games, besides them being part of the CnC series (don't know why. no real connection to CnC. They're more along the lines of Age of Empires set in modern times than Command and Conquer games), is that EA made it, and it's graphics were pretty. And yet, that was pretty much all it did well, and it used CG floods and avalances so much it seemed kind of pretentious. I'm afraid CnC3 will be the same things, a game touched by EA's evil hand (I didn't have bad feeling for them until Generals), creating a game more focused on being "pretty" than quality of any of the other numerous things that goes into a good game.kvn8907
Personally I liked Generals very much. In any case, I think CnC3 is more of the traditional style C&C game, I haven't played it either but what I've seen it has plenty of cutscenes and stuff.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

That's exactly my biggest fear with CnC3. I havn't played it yet, but I have a bad feeling about it after playing Generals and Generals Zero Hour. All Command and Conquer games prior were fun games, with fun missions, interesting units, good music, a strong storyline, and cutscenes that motivated you to play. Generals was a shell of a game. It's missions were slow and dull, it's units and music boring, its storyline weak, and cutscenes virtually nonexistant. It was like EA was saying "we're better than Westwood because we can animate floods". Pretty much the whole pull of the Generals games, besides them being part of the CnC series (don't know why. no real connection to CnC. They're more along the lines of Age of Empires set in modern times than Command and Conquer games), is that EA made it, and it's graphics were pretty. And yet, that was pretty much all it did well, and it used CG floods and avalances so much it seemed kind of pretentious. I'm afraid CnC3 will be the same things, a game touched by EA's evil hand (I didn't have bad feeling for them until Generals), creating a game more focused on being "pretty" than quality of any of the other numerous things that goes into a good game.kvn8907

Well CNC3 is EXACTLY like red alert. Except with a graphical upgrade. 

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
Ive liked all CNC games, even generals and CNC 3 is diffently a 9 out of 10 for me, lots of fun.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I'm pretty sure most of the devs from Westwood left after the merge to EA. I dunno I just think they're killing it with the 'Scrin' race. thoughts?
Mindlessworks

And I'm pretty sure your talking out of your hole.  Any that left were forced to leave due to redundant positions within the company.  Those that EA wanted to stay, trust me, were more than fairly compensated.  You kids think this business is about making good games....  it's about making money.  If it weren't, than all the PC game dev's wouldn't be crossing lines to make their games on consoles as well. 

Yoruichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yoruichii
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
In my opinion, Generals was a piece a crap, but thats my opinion. C&C 3 is the best one in the series imo. EA did a good job for once
Archebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Archebius
Member since 2006 • 343 Posts

didn't like generals very much, partly because of the sudden change in subject matter...

I'm loving C & C 3, though I've been hooked on BF2142 for a while now.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

[QUOTE="Mindlessworks"]I'm pretty sure most of the devs from Westwood left after the merge to EA. I dunno I just think they're killing it with the 'Scrin' race. thoughts?
Johnny_Rock

And I'm pretty sure your talking out of your hole. Any that left were forced to leave due to redundant positions within the company. Those that EA wanted to stay, trust me, were more than fairly compensated. You kids think this business is about making good games.... it's about making money. If it weren't, than all the PC game dev's wouldn't be crossing lines to make their games on consoles as well.

Sources? Links? Cause I'm pretty sure most of the Westwood vets are now working for Petroglyph (http://www.petroglyphgames.com/aboutus/index.php). I'm curious about where you got that info from.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="Mindlessworks"]I'm pretty sure most of the devs from Westwood left after the merge to EA. I dunno I just think they're killing it with the 'Scrin' race. thoughts?
F1_2004

And I'm pretty sure your talking out of your hole. Any that left were forced to leave due to redundant positions within the company. Those that EA wanted to stay, trust me, were more than fairly compensated. You kids think this business is about making good games.... it's about making money. If it weren't, than all the PC game dev's wouldn't be crossing lines to make their games on consoles as well.

Sources? Links? Cause I'm pretty sure most of the Westwood vets are now working for Petroglyph (http://www.petroglyphgames.com/aboutus/index.php). I'm curious about where you got that info from.

That's because they are working for petroglyph 

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts
I loved C&C3, and imo is the second best in the series, with the original Red Alert taking the throne. 
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I like C&C 3 but I think Generals sucks.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
Mindlessworks

Scrin were around in TS.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

darklord888

Scrin were around in TS.

But they didn't actually were involved in the game. Atleast we are getting some variety this time :)

Btw darklord I love your sig.Â