benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By benny_boy98
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

Whether you are using a monitor or a TV is it really worth it to spend the extra time calibrating it? Either by eye or by a calibration disc? I have personally calibrated before in the past using the spears and munsil disc and the improvements where quite good but not amazing. But atm I am using the factory settings on my Samsung tv and the picture still pretty impressive. So want some personal opinions of whether or not you calibrate or just go with the TV's default settings?

faheem_s_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 faheem_s_i
Member since 2006 • 346 Posts

@benny_boy98: Without a colorimeter, I would suggest just setting black/white level with a pluge pattern and forget it.

It's pointless going into white balance as it is impossible to set accurately by eye. Don't use settings you find on the internet because each screen is unique. The point of calibration is to have an objectively reference screen, not a subjectively better one.

You may find a properly calibrated screen very disappointing, it's purpose is not what most people assume it to be.

For reference I have all my screens at home calibrated with an i1 display pro and have been calibrating for about 5 years. I will say that colour calibration is an absolute necessity in printing, more so in product photography which is what I do.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9432 Posts

I don't think it is for gaming unless you just want to.

It makes sense when you're producing videos or images. There are special displays you would buy though, not ones you would use for gaming.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Yep, always calibrate, even if its a BD calibration disk.