irrational games yanks the last cord on gfwl, bioshock 2 bails out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

bioshock 2 has been removed from gwfl's services. its no longer required to log in and will no longer be associated in any form with it.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=9228&game=Bioshock%202&title=The%20Wait%20For%20Rapture%20Is%20Over%20For%20Bioshock%202

you simply need to aquire the CD key (assuming you didnt buy it directly through gfwl) and register it through steam like a retail game. this will also carry over all your dlc's. those who own it through steam simply need to wait for a patch to remove gfwl to finish downloading.

as for those who purchased it directly through gfwl (i pity you so) you are SoL and will eventually need to rebuy the game through steam

this is the last of the games in the bioshock trilogy (and the last game by irrational) to be taken off gfwl.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

There was a thread on this the other day. Still great news though. Bioshock 2 was one of my last few retail games I couldn't register on Steam, and I finally got to the other day. No more GFWL is fantastic, plus I got Minerva's Den for free. That's right, those who might not know already. If you have an old retail copy of Bioshock 2, and you never bought Minerva's Den, register it on Steam, and you'll get the DLC for free.

Ser_Charles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ser_Charles
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts

Give back my SWAT5, irrational games!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Also, that was 2K's move, not Irrational. IG had nothing to do with Bioshock 2, and none of their games (that I know of, at least), have ever used GFWL.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I hope the Batman games get the same treatment soon. Been waiting since March for it to happen :(

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

I hope the Batman games get the same treatment soon. Been waiting since March for it to happen :(

gameofthering
Same. I believe I read somewhere that WB will be removing GFWL from them. I hope so...
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
good riddance. Now hopefully a couple more games like GTA remove it and the world of pc gaming will be happy
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
[QUOTE="Doom_HellKnight"] Same. I believe I read somewhere that WB will be removing GFWL from them. I hope so...

Hopefully Dark Souls remove it too.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46616 Posts

Yeah, same here. I hope every game will remove it before July next year. Because if I'm not mistaken games like Street Fighter, Dark Souls, Batman, GTA or any game using GFWL will stop working once the service goes down.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ionusX

Yeah, same here. I hope every game will remove it before July next year. Because if I'm not mistaken games like Street Fighter, Dark Souls, Batman, GTA or any game using GFWL will stop working once the service goes down.

R4gn4r0k

indeed so does DoWII (the origional and chaos rising anyway) and so does wh40k: space marine IIRC

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k  Online

indeed so does DoWII (the origional and chaos rising anyway) and so does wh40k: space marine IIRC

ionusX

But the absolute worst thing about all of this: nobody is held accountable for this. You can simply pull the plug on your service which is required for games to play, without any repercussions it seems.

For some reason it's perfectly fine in this industry to hand over money for something you won't be able to play anymore years down the line. And that really worries me, as I still play a lot of games that are 10+ years old on a regular basis.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

R4gn4r0k

But the absolute worst thing about all of this: nobody is held accountable for this. You can simply pull the plug on your service which is required for games to play, without any repercussions it seems.

For some reason it's perfectly fine in this industry to hand over money for something you won't be able to play anymore years down the line. And that really worries me, as I still play a lot of games that are 10+ years old on a regular basis.

i think someone should write to relic entertainment and ask them what they are going to do come the end of gfwl

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k  Online

i think their should be a governing body of some kind over the industry to regulate this sort of stuff. i think they should release all dev kits for games 12years or older internationalls as well as server dev kits. this would encourage players of those older games to keep playing them rather than be forced to go play something new just because youve stopped giving a sh!t. who are they to deem that you should be unable to enjoy a game anymore just because its old? like seriously they need to get a grip.

ionusX

Very true, at this point this DRM and DD is regulated by noone, everyone can simply do what they want it seems. If Valve wants to close down steam and take everyones games down with it they simply can. Who is going to stop them ?

Luckily there are still a lot of companys out there that make games for their love of the industry and see making money as a way to keep afloat as a company. Those are the kind of companies that update their games with free content and release source codes down the line, mod tools, SDKs. On the other hand you have companies seeing money as their only goal and releasing the same sh1t every year, closing down the servers for the game that came out last year. Because they need their sh1t to sell more and the shorter term the money is the better.

I'm not trying to rant or anything, that is how I really see the current state of the industry.

i think someone should write to relic entertainment and ask them what they are going to do come the end of gfwl

ionusX

I tried contacting steam support about GFWL shutting down and what that means to the games on steam running that service. If they are in contact with developers and MS, etc... I ... wasn't really helped. They told me to contact GFWL support(which is just Xbox support, no GFWL support that I know of), they told me to call a US phone number and after that they told me: 'We have no information at the point'

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

i think their should be a governing body of some kind over the industry to regulate this sort of stuff. i think they should release all dev kits for games 12years or older internationalls as well as server dev kits. this would encourage players of those older games to keep playing them rather than be forced to go play something new just because youve stopped giving a sh!t. who are they to deem that you should be unable to enjoy a game anymore just because its old? like seriously they need to get a grip.

R4gn4r0k

Very true, at this point this DRM and DD is regulated by noone, everyone can simply do what they want it seems. If Valve wants to close down steam and take everyones games down with it they simply can. Who is going to stop them ?

Luckily there are still a lot of companys out there that make games for their love of the industry and see making money as a way to keep afloat as a company. Those are the kind of companies that update their games with free content and release source codes down the line, mod tools, SDKs. On the other hand you have companies seeing money as their only goal and releasing the same sh1t every year, closing down the servers for the game that came out last year. Because they need their sh1t to sell more and the shorter term the money is the better.

I'm not trying to rant or anything, that is how I really see the current state of the industry.

ionusX

I tried contacting steam support about GFWL shutting down and what that means to the games on steam running that service. If they are in contact with developers and MS, etc... I ... wasn't really helped. They told me to contact GFWL support(which is just Xbox support, no GFWL support that I know of), they told me to call a US phone number and after that they told me: 'We have no information at the point'

ive sent a formal email to relic entertainment perhaps i can get a message from them

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k  Online

ive sent a formal email to relic entertainment perhaps i can get a message from them

ionusX

Great, I'm interested if you ever get to know something. But, who bought the DOW IP after THQ got shut down ?

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

cool hopefully fallout 3 gets rid of it soon so i can get all the steam achievments

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

R4gn4r0k

Great, I'm interested if you ever get to know something. But, who bought the DOW IP after THQ got shut down ?

the IP was still under contract with relic until november 2013 until its renew time. SEGA will need to then re-sign with gamesworkshop for the dawn of war and wh40k licensces. this is likely to happen; HOWEVER if this should fall through i expect it will be up to gamesworkshop to decide what happens to the game. and the result will be that it gets lost in limbo. thats VERY unlikely given that dawn of war is a good selling, award winning, rts, blockbuster IP and SEGA would need to have done a LOT of blow on halloween to probably think it was a bad idea.  

the more likely outcome is that ultimately it will still remain in the hands of Relic and SEGA as to what will happen.

id also like to point out that in the event sega does think its a bad idea we should move to form a petition to get SEGA and relic to yank GFWL off DoWII and place it on steam engine like its most contemporary installment retribution as it will be such a tragedy if that happens

one thing bothers me though. when GFWL closes.. what will become of my gears of war 1 purchase? i got it two christmases ago for $1 (best $1 i ever spent on gfwl (and the only)) id like to know where i will be able to get my game from.Â