internet security vista 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 giovannimcc
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

Hi im running vista, ive got avg free i read it was good. If I get spybot search and destroy is that all i should get?

Mega_Core-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mega_Core-X
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Yep. AVG and Spybot work great together, and you don't really need to add anything else. :-)

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

Avast.

AVG sucks.

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

avast, or panda are the best free AV out there. i dont reccomend avg because ive used it and it does not find crap. use the AV program of your choice with Spybot and Spyware blaster. ive been using them along with other programs and i have never gotten a virus and my comp always run fast.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Avast, AVG, Avira, MS security essentials are all good but I recommend MS:SE, you don't even know it's there.

Also scan once a week with malwarebytes.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Just a heads up I'am tech and I don't use any anti viurs programs. Just a waste of time if you ask me. For the average user the only program I could recommend would be kaspersky, when it comes to free I'd highly recommend a clean os install plus chrome with ad block, also don't install any other version of java then what comes with chrome. If you think you might be infected with a virus I'd run hitmanpro it'd tell u in under 5min.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I've been using AVG for the better part of 7 years. I've had great luck with it.

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

Just a heads up I'am tech and I don't use any anti viurs programs. Just a waste of time if you ask me. For the average user the only program I could recommend would be kaspersky, when it comes to free I'd highly recommend a clean os install plus chrome with ad block, also don't install any other version of java then what comes with chrome. If you think you might be infected with a virus I'd run hitmanpro it'd tell u in under 5min.

jakes456

possibly the worst advice ever. Ignore this troll.

probably the first time i agree with a single thing you post. TC, you should always have AV.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

possibly the worst advice ever. Ignore this troll.

zaku101

probably the first time i agree with a single thing you post. TC, you should always have AV.

Do you guys actually remove viruses for a living, no? Ok great I love your opinion. I could send you one right now so bad you'd never be able to boot into windows unless you reinstall the os. No anti virus program in the world could fix it unless you do it by hand. I don't use programs to remove viruses I do it by hand. I know how they work and I do for a fact know that it doesn't matter what anti virus program you use it's not going to make a difference. you could get a virus run 5 different scanner and if you're lucky one of them might actually pick the virus up, better yet be able to remove it.

lolz.. ehrm, virtual machine.
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Use Avast, it's better than AVG.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"] probably the first time i agree with a single thing you post. TC, you should always have AV. darksusperia

Do you guys actually remove viruses for a living, no? Ok great I love your opinion. I could send you one right now so bad you'd never be able to boot into windows unless you reinstall the os. No anti virus program in the world could fix it unless you do it by hand. I don't use programs to remove viruses I do it by hand. I know how they work and I do for a fact know that it doesn't matter what anti virus program you use it's not going to make a difference. you could get a virus run 5 different scanner and if you're lucky one of them might actually pick the virus up, better yet be able to remove it.

So what's your point? I don't get it...

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="zaku101"]

zaku101

you said: I could send you one right now so bad you'd never be able to boot into windows unless you reinstall the os. No anti virus program in the world could fix it unless you do it by hand. I don't use programs to remove viruses I do it by hand. I know how they work and I do for a fact know that it doesn't matter what anti virus program you use it's not going to make a difference. you could get a virus run 5 different scanner and if you're lucky one of them might actually pick the virus up, better yet be able to remove it Which is completely irrelevant if servers are running in a VM as you can just restore the last snapshot making your whole arguement null and void. I also call BS on you removing everything by hand.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"] probably the first time i agree with a single thing you post. TC, you should always have AV. jakes456

Do you guys actually remove viruses for a living, no? Ok great I love your opinion. I could send you one right now so bad you'd never be able to boot into windows unless you reinstall the os. No anti virus program in the world going to fix it unless you do it by hand. I don't use programs to remove viruses I do it by hand. I know how they work and I do for a fact know that it doesn't matter what anti virus program you use it's not going to make a difference. you could get a virus run 5 different scanner and if you're lucky one of them might actually pick the virus up, better yet be able to remove it.

nice making threats on gamespot.

15 year old punk. :lol:

I am 24, I work for a company repairing electronics, managing servers, reparining computers,servers,macs,phones, ipads, consoles, soldiering. I even manage 2 stores and I work unsupervised, do house and business calls while also dealing with 100+ staff members in downtown chicago managing the Harlem Irving Plaza twice a week. My list can go on and on but I am sure you don't care.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"] lolz.. ehrm, virtual machine.darksusperia

you said: I could send you one right now so bad you'd never be able to boot into windows unless you reinstall the os. No anti virus program in the world could fix it unless you do it by hand. I don't use programs to remove viruses I do it by hand. I know how they work and I do for a fact know that it doesn't matter what anti virus program you use it's not going to make a difference. you could get a virus run 5 different scanner and if you're lucky one of them might actually pick the virus up, better yet be able to remove it Which is completely irrelevant if servers are running in a VM as you can just restore the last snapshot making your whole arguement null and void. I also call BS on you removing everything by hand.

Yeah that's the easy way out but can you actually fix it without restoring to a snapshot and it's not like people store snapshots on a daily basis. vm still get infected and are used as the sandbox for removing viruses by hand. If you have to use a snapshot you've already failed.

you're still basically reinstalling the os because your forcing it to reload from a fresh older install while losing data if the snapshot wasn't current.

Yes I can admit I don't remove ever virus by hand, I was basically saying I can do most by hand and 80% of the time I do use software, but if needed I can removing it by hand.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darksusperia

zaku101

Yeah that's the easy way out but can you actually fix it without restoring to a snapshot and it's not like people store snapshots on a daily basis. vm still get infected and are used as the sandbox for removing viruses by hand. If you have to use a snapshot you've already failed.

you're still basically reinstalling the os because your forcing it to reload while losing data if the snapshot wasn't current.

its not failing, its called minimizing down time, (especially if you get the claimed virus that destroys your boot sector) and you only need to grab the data that has changed since the last backup, which more often then not, isnt all that much. Time is money. Unless you like job security and making more work for yourself, your claims are irrelevent. In all my years, there have only ever been a handful of viri that have needed manual removal, at which point, it isn't difficult. In fact I had one just the other week, no big deal, took 5 mins. Mountain - molehill.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"] you said: I could send you one right now so bad you'd never be able to boot into windows unless you reinstall the os. No anti virus program in the world could fix it unless you do it by hand. I don't use programs to remove viruses I do it by hand. I know how they work and I do for a fact know that it doesn't matter what anti virus program you use it's not going to make a difference. you could get a virus run 5 different scanner and if you're lucky one of them might actually pick the virus up, better yet be able to remove it Which is completely irrelevant if servers are running in a VM as you can just restore the last snapshot making your whole arguement null and void. I also call BS on you removing everything by hand.darksusperia

you're still basically reinstalling the os because your forcing it to reload while losing data if the snapshot wasn't current.

its not failing, its called minimizing down time, (especially if you get the claimed virus that destroys your boot sector) and you only need to grab the data that has changed since the last backup, which more often then not, isnt all that much. Time is money. Unless you like job security and making more work for yourself, your claims are irrelevent. In all my years, there have only ever been a handful of viri that have needed manual removal, at which point, it isn't difficult. In fact I had one just the other week, no big deal, took 5 mins. Mountain - molehill.

It's still called failing to fix the problem in my book and giving up. It's no different then saying o **** somethings not working and I can't fix it to my knowledge, I am just going to restore the whole thing because I'am not able to solve the problem at hand and I'am going to pretend like I knew how to fix it rather than actually fixing it by using a snapshot which my mom could load. Meaning in reality I still lost to the virus.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hartsickdiscipl

zaku101

It's still called failing to fix the problem in my book and giving up. It's no different then saying o **** somethings not working and I can't fix it to my knowledge, I am just going to restore the whole thing because I'am not able to solve the problem at hand and I'am going to pretend like I knew how to fix it rather than actually fixing it by using a snapshot which my mom could load. Meaning in reality I still lost to the virus.

It's called not banging your head against a wall when there is a quicker, more efficient way of getting to the end goal. That's success.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darksusperia

zaku101

your perspective needs adjusting young one.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"] its not failing, its called minimizing down time, (especially if you get the claimed virus that destroys your boot sector) and you only need to grab the data that has changed since the last backup, which more often then not, isnt all that much. Time is money. Unless you like job security and making more work for yourself, your claims are irrelevent. In all my years, there have only ever been a handful of viri that have needed manual removal, at which point, it isn't difficult. In fact I had one just the other week, no big deal, took 5 mins. Mountain - molehill.darksusperia

He sounds like one of the foremen at my company. He insists on doing things the hard way 9 times out of 10. He's been in the business for 13 years, so he knows quite a bit more than me about most things on the job. However, even guys with more experience than him will pick on his inflexibility and outright stupidity at times. It's like he has to beat his head against a wall and make others do it to, no matter how simply the problem could potentially be solved. Everything has to be done a certain way, even when someone shows him a quicker, more efficient way. So stupid.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darksusperia

hartsickdiscipl

He sounds like one of the foremen at my company. He insists on doing things the hard way 9 times out of 10. He's been in the business for 13 years, so he knows quite a bit more than me about most things on the job. However, even guys with more experience than him will pick on his inflexibility and outright stupidity at times. It's like he has to beat his head against a wall and make others do it to, no matter how simply the problem could potentially be solved. Everything has to be done a certain way, even when someone shows him a quicker, more efficient way. So stupid.

it happens, alot. Either way, its likening a complete hard drive failure on a machine that has no redundancy in place. Instead of just putting in a new hard drive and dumping an image he'd rather sit there, install windows, then drivers and software, user profiles and reboot a million times. Fun times indeed. No matter the situation, it comes down to time vs money. Business doesnt care how its fixed as long as its fixed in the quickest possible time. Every minute they are down is lost productivity = lost money.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"] its not failing, its called minimizing down time, (especially if you get the claimed virus that destroys your boot sector) and you only need to grab the data that has changed since the last backup, which more often then not, isnt all that much. Time is money. Unless you like job security and making more work for yourself, your claims are irrelevent. In all my years, there have only ever been a handful of viri that have needed manual removal, at which point, it isn't difficult. In fact I had one just the other week, no big deal, took 5 mins. Mountain - molehill.hartsickdiscipl

It's called not banging your head against a wall when there is a quicker, more efficient way of getting to the end goal. That's success.

I know it's the more effective way of solving the problem. I am simply stating my orginal point, about virus removal in a WM env, where he's still being forced to basically do a restore of some kind in order to solve the problem meaning yes the OS can't boot in, you can't fix it due to the virus so your giving up and loading a past save. It's still showing my point as true, meaing your still basically resintalling/reimaging rather than fixing the actual problem. Some how it moved into us aruging about being able to remove it by doing a snapshot(costeffective) which isn't really removing it but rather reinstalling/imaging the os and failing to actually remove the virus which is what we were arguing about in the first place.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darksusperia

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

zaku101

I know it's the more effective way of solving the problem. I am simply stating my orginal point, about virus removal in a WM env, where he's still being forced to basically do a restore of some kind in order to solve the problem meaning yes the OS can't boot in, you can't fix it due to the virus so your giving up and loading a past save. It's still showing my point as true, meaing your still basically resintalling/reimaging rather than fixing the actual problem. Some how it moved into us aruging about being able to remove it by doing a snapshot(costeffective) which isn't really removing it but rather reinstalling/imaging the os and failing to actually remove the virus which is what we were arguing about in the first place.

man, its not about ones ability to remove said virus or not, your the one making it into how supposedly 1337 you are. We're telling you its about minimizing downtime, VM or NOT. You've effectively called every single IT business that uses imaging software for backups and redundancy outside raid that minimizes downtime, regardless of the issue hardware or software, wrong. You said, you could send a virus that destroys the machines ability to boot. ALL of which is easily avoided/repaired in an easy, timely fashion. give it more years and you'll see whats up. When a business is down losing tens of thousands of dollars, they dont care about your ability or not, they just want the issue fixed quickly. Wrap your head around that, then come back.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

darksusperia

man, its not about ones ability to remove said virus or not, your the one making it into how supposedly 1337 you are. We're telling you its about minimizing downtime, VM or NOT. You've effectively called every single IT business that uses imaging software for backups and redundancy outside raid that minimizes downtime, regardless of the issue hardware or software, wrong. You said, you could send a virus that destroys the machines ability to boot. ALL of which is easily avoided/repaired in an easy, timely fashion. give it more years and you'll see whats up. When a business is down losing tens of thousands of dollars, they dont care about your ability or not, they just want the issue fixed quickly. Wrap your head around that, then come back.

You simply just changed the topic around. I did at no point state that using imaging was bad, the whole topic was started at "Can a virus prevent a vm from booting and can you fix it without reinstall/imaging." You basically started stating that VM can beat any virus or are virus free but its a whole different topic if you throw imaging into it.I am not sure how we got to the point of aruging about cost effectiveness or the fastest way of removing the problem. When the orginal topic was about actually fixing the problem without reverting to imaging. If you have to reimage your VM has already failed & your basically back where you started making your VM no different than a normal consumer computer. So my argument stands.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darksusperia

You simply just changed the topic around. I did at no point state that using imaging was bad, the whole topic was started at "Can a virus prevent a vm from booting and can you fix it without reinstall/imaging." You basically started stating that VM can beat any virus or are virus free but its a whole different topic if you throw imaging into it.I am not sure how we got to the point of aruging about cost effectiveness or the fastest way of removing the problem. When the orginal topic was about actually fixing the problem without reverting to imaging.

zaku101
to recap:

I could send you one right now so bad you'd never be able to boot into windows unless you reinstall the os. No anti virus program in the world going to fix it unless you do it by hand. I don't use programs to remove viruses I do it by hand.

zaku101
I could spend the time doing it by hand and be as 1337 as you, or I could reload/dump the image (VM or NOT) and be done with it and move on to more pressing issues. If you think I cant remove a virus by hand your sorely mistaken, I do have, however, better things to do with my time :) At no point did I say VM's are virus free, nor any other installation. At no point, imaging or not, does it change the situation to make it an entirely different topic, Infected machine is infected, end of.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"] probably the first time i agree with a single thing you post. TC, you should always have AV. darksusperia

Basically said/hinted it there.

Also good luck having an image for everyones unquie computer backedup ready to go current just laying around ready to go. In a real world your method isn't going to work as easily as you think unless your in a server env.

Meaning your time will most likely be spent reloading computers from a clean install, getting drivers and software which could take hours depending on the number of computers.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darksusperia

zaku101

no hinting, said. It simple was the response to needing to reinstall. I could have elaborated, yes. But your blanket statement didnt require it.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darksusperia

zaku101

Also good luck having an image for everyones unquie computer backedup ready to go current just laying around ready to go. In a real world your method isn't going to work as easily as you think unless your in a server env.

We use terminal servers, or remote desktop servers as they are now called. ;) Cheers for your concern though. And as for workstations for the smaller clients, yes, it does work, it works bloody well. you have the inital image, then incrementals from that point on. awesome stuff.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

You simply just changed the topic around. I did at no point state that using imaging was bad, the whole topic was started at "Can a virus prevent a vm from booting and can you fix it without reinstall/imaging." You basically started stating that VM can beat any virus or are virus free but its a whole different topic if you throw imaging into it.I am not sure how we got to the point of aruging about cost effectiveness or the fastest way of removing the problem. When the orginal topic was about actually fixing the problem without reverting to imaging.

darksusperia

to recap:

I could send you one right now so bad you'd never be able to boot into windows unless you reinstall the os. No anti virus program in the world going to fix it unless you do it by hand. I don't use programs to remove viruses I do it by hand.

zaku101

I could spend the time doing it by hand and be as 1337 as you, or I could reload/dump the image (VM or NOT) and be done with it and move on to more pressing issues. If you think I cant remove a virus by hand your sorely mistaken, I do have, however, better things to do with my time :) At no point did I say VM's are virus free, nor any other installation. At no point, imaging or not, does it change the situation to make it an entirely different topic, Infected machine is infected, end of.

I don't see how reimaging and removing a virus aren't two different topics...

One is used to reinstall an OS from an ealier point and one is keeping everything current without losing data or requiring to revert to an ealier time.

One leaves the OS intaked the other involves restoring it two completelty different things.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]

lolz.. ehrm, virtual machine.darksusperia

We use terminal servers, or remote desktop servers as they are now called. ;) Cheers for your concern though. And as for workstations for the smaller clients, yes, it does work, it works bloody well. you have the inital image, then incrementals from that point on. awesome stuff.

I am sorry to tell you this but 80-90% of the world doesn't live off of term/remote desktop servers, in the business world yes there's a high number but everyone has their own personal computer these days.

Also what if your image was actually bad, meaning one of your HDD was failing and you wern't aware of the issue or when your HDD started failing meaning you could risk loading an image that has corruptfiles being a year old making everything useless. You put too much faint in imaging.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="zaku101"] to recap: [QUOTE="zaku101"]

zaku101

One is used to reinstall an OS from an ealier point and one is keeping everything current without losing data or requiring to revert to an ealier time.

lol, theres no data loss. What are you talking about? your orignal scenario calls for a virus that destroys the machines ability to boot into user land. snapshot before virus = clean boot into userland. Before restoring image you take the last changed files from the data directories, other wise known as an incremental, then restore those few files after the snapshot has been loaded. Viri arent ignored, in every instance the virus has been noticed in one way or another as soon as it gets on the system, unless yours are so open to infection....
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 zaku101

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"] I could spend the time doing it by hand and be as 1337 as you, or I could reload/dump the image (VM or NOT) and be done with it and move on to more pressing issues. If you think I cant remove a virus by hand your sorely mistaken, I do have, however, better things to do with my time :) At no point did I say VM's are virus free, nor any other installation. At no point, imaging or not, does it change the situation to make it an entirely different topic, Infected machine is infected, end of.darksusperia

lol, theres no data loss. What are you talking about? your orignal scenario calls for a virus that destroys the machines ability to boot into user land. snapshot before virus = clean boot into userland. Before restoring image you take the last changed files from the data directories, other wise known as an incremental, then restore those few files after the snapshot has been loaded. Viri arent ignored, in every instance the virus has been noticed in one way or another as soon as it gets on the system, unless yours are so open to infection....

So your basically going to tell me byte for byte your datas going to be no different from when you got the virus from when you restored to an earlier image?

Unless it's a perfect clone byte for byte it's two completety different topics. Also you have to go throught the trouble of actually figuring out when you got inefect and which image to load.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darksusperia
do you understand how incremental backups work?? you should familiarise yourself with it. Awesome stuff.
novelton111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 novelton111
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts
I think Gladiator is best for any kind of pc and its also powerful internet security.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Get Microsoft Security Essentials. It's excellent.

Don't use AVG, it sucks.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zaku101

do you understand how incremental backups work?? you should familiarise yourself with it. Awesome stuff.darksusperia

I could spend the time doing it by hand and be as 1337 as you, or I could reload/dump the image (VM or NOT) and be done with it and move on to moredpressing issues. If you think I cant remove a virus by hand your sorely mistaken, I do have, however, better things to do with my timesmile.gifAt no point did I say VM's are virus free, nor any other installation. At no point, imaging or not, does it change the situation to make it an entirely different topic, Infected machine is infected, end of.darksusperia

Yeah I know how backup works I just don't see how using a bloody backup to restore an OS from a virus is the same as actually not having to...

~You're changing the subject again when we were talking about how you stated reimaging is the same as removing a virus normally. When they're completely different processes.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

9d6c69c6_thread-direction.jpeg

Just give AV advice

giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 giovannimcc
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

Thanks for the replies

lol My comp crashed as I made this thread thought it hadn't been made.

I've got avg free, spybot with tea timer and comodo firewall. After reading some toms hardware articles and threads.

I have sysinternals autoruns and I read that can be used to stop malaware, I've not had a problem with trojans or virus's since I stopped using things like kazaar and limewire that was years ago.