Intel i7 4790k vs 4930k performance difference.

#1 Posted by mattamomo (924 posts) -

I'm thinking of making the upgrade to improve on my workstation.

I assume the extra 4 threads would increase performance significantly in 3D applications and rendering.

And would provide a good few years future proofing for gaming.

Has anyone got one that can comment?

#2 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (4574 posts) -

I've not got one but unless you're using really really heavily cored (multithreaded) workloads I wouldn't bother.

#3 Posted by mattamomo (924 posts) -

@klunt_bumskrint: So far I haven't been, but I am planning on investing in Maya and am looking to start learning a bit more and progressing in 3D modelling and design. I don't know if 8 threads will be sufficient.

#4 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4574 posts) -

They will, if not go Xeon.

#5 Posted by harry_james_pot (11187 posts) -

@mattamomo said:

@klunt_bumskrint: So far I haven't been, but I am planning on investing in Maya and am looking to start learning a bit more and progressing in 3D modelling and design. I don't know if 8 threads will be sufficient.

I use 3ds Max and ZBrush all the time on a 3570k and it's doing great, so the 8 threads will be more than sufficient. Keep in mind that it will only help the rendering, and not the application's performance while working.. The latter falls on the GPU.

#6 Posted by PredatorRules (8869 posts) -

@mattamomo said:

I'm thinking of making the upgrade to improve on my workstation.

I assume the extra 4 threads would increase performance significantly in 3D applications and rendering.

And would provide a good few years future proofing for gaming.

Has anyone got one that can comment?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4930K-vs-Intel-4790K the 90K kills it with single core performance, if you're looking into apps that use only 1 core then go for it, if not then the 30K totally destroys it in every other term.

#7 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10825 posts) -

Why don't you just wait for the 5930k? It comes out in a few weeks.

#8 Posted by Horgen (111188 posts) -

@ShadowDeathX said:

Or go for the lower 5820? Six cores, but fewer PCIe lanes-

#9 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10825 posts) -
@horgen said:

@ShadowDeathX said:

Or go for the lower 5820? Six cores, but fewer PCIe lanes-

This too. In fact, the 5820k is the best choice. 28 PCI-e 3.0 lanes is still enough to power two high-end GPUs without a lane bottleneck, possible three AMD gpus too. (Nvidia doesn't like x4 PCI-e ports)

#10 Posted by mattamomo (924 posts) -

@ShadowDeathX:

Any release date for a 5820k?

#11 Edited by Horgen (111188 posts) -

Assumed it is the same as for 5930 and 5960. October I think.

@ShadowDeathX: I think the PCIe X4 isn't enough to keep the third AMD GPU well fed sort of speak. It allows it, but you get better performance if it is X8.

#12 Posted by mattamomo (924 posts) -

I would never get more than 2 way SLI so is the 5820k still good for that?

#13 Edited by ShadowDeathX (10825 posts) -
@horgen said:

Assumed it is the same as for 5930 and 5960. October I think.

@ShadowDeathX: I think the PCIe X4 isn't enough to keep the third AMD GPU well fed sort of speak. It allows it, but you get better performance if it is X8.

A Gen3 PCI-e x4 is more then enough bandwidth for another GPU (prob. not count a Titan Z or 295X2). I just know Nvidia has a restriction on using x4 ports.

But those lanes are better used for SSD, Wifi, or a sound card imo.

#14 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10825 posts) -
@mattamomo said:

I would never get more than 2 way SLI so is the 5820k still good for that?

More than enough. The new chips and their motherboards come out by the end of this week (unsure if paper or official release) but they should easily available for purchase the first half of September.

#15 Posted by mattamomo (924 posts) -

@ShadowDeathX:

Great to hear, will wait till then.

Cheers