Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz (How long will it last?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PhantasmCipherX
PhantasmCipherX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 PhantasmCipherX
Member since 2006 • 490 Posts
Just wondering what the life span of the E6420 would be. Would it work really well with Supreme Commander? How about games coming out in the future? It seems to be a good deal and I'd like to hear what some of your opinions are regarding the CPU. Thanks in advance.
Sonicgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 Sonicgod
Member since 2003 • 967 Posts

Not that long Clock speed is two low on those early dual cores my intel quad core runs at 3.4 ghz and dual cores have not been out that long.

Even the xbox 360 is at the 3ghz mark and has a triple core Though I wont get into CPU types and how clock speed can be meaning less.

You will only see a performance gain on games that run multiple threads of code other wise clock speed is king and a older single core pentuim 4 at a high clock speed can kill those things when running a single thread game.

Skip dual core all togeather and Get a quad core that has a high clock speed and over clock the thing if you want something that last.

Over clocking most of intel quad cores is not that hard since they are obviously just getting started on the line and left room on the design to run at faster speeds, but if you do it wrong you risk killing your CPU to early.