Installing Windows 7 on new SSD, will there by conflicts if I do not format HDD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RuutuTootoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RuutuTootoo
Member since 2004 • 1100 Posts

Currently, I have my Windows 7 OS on my HDD. I just purchased a 60gb SSD as my new boot drive. I was wondering whether there'd be any conflicting issues once I have the new OS set up on the SSD? I don't plan on formating the old HDD because I have all my applications and files on there, and will still primarily use that drive for most of my data. Will that be free of hassle assuming I set the boot-sequence to launch the SSD first?

Thanks for any help provided :)

Edit: and on that note, after I install everything, what would be the best way to remove the old OS from the HDD while retaining all the other files? Can I simply delete the Windows folder?

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Providing you set your SSD as the first boot device then it should be fine.

After thats done then just delete the Windows & Program files folders from the HDD. (dont delete USERS as thats where your files will be)

matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 matte3560
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

Currently, I have my Windows 7 OS on my HDD. I just purchased a 60gb SSD as my new boot drive. I was wondering whether there'd be any conflicting issues once I have the new OS set up on the SSD? I don't plan on formating the old HDD because I have all my applications and files on there, and will still primarily use that drive for most of my data. Will that be free of hassle assuming I set the boot-sequence to launch the SSD first?

RuutuTootoo
There shouldn't be any conflicts between the two OSes. Your computer will automatically be configured for dual booting though. Basically you'll have the option to launch either OS when your computer boots. This can be removed with a program like Easy BCD though.
RuutuTootoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RuutuTootoo
Member since 2004 • 1100 Posts

Awesome, thanks guys.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Daytona_178
[QUOTE="RuutuTootoo"]

matte3560
There shouldn't be any conflicts between the two OSes. Your computer will automatically be configured for dual booting though. Basically you'll have the option to launch either OS when your computer boots. This can be removed with a program like Easy BCD though.

That would happen if they were both on the same HDD, if he boots from the SSD then it wont be aware of the HDD version of Windows until he is already in Windows.
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 matte3560
[QUOTE="matte3560"][QUOTE="RuutuTootoo"]

Daytona_178

That would happen if they were both on the same HDD, if he boots from the SSD then it wont be aware of the HDD version of Windows until he is already in Windows.

My bad then. That was the case when I installed W7 on a separate drive from Vista.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Daytona_178
[QUOTE="matte3560"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="matte3560"] There shouldn't be any conflicts between the two OSes. Your computer will automatically be configured for dual booting though. Basically you'll have the option to launch either OS when your computer boots. This can be removed with a program like Easy BCD though.

My bad then. That was the case when I installed W7 on a separate drive from Vista.

I might also be wrong,,,but I don't understand why it would check both if only one is selected as a bootable device.
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 matte3560
[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="matte3560"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"] That would happen if they were both on the same HDD, if he boots from the SSD then it wont be aware of the HDD version of Windows until he is already in Windows.

I might also be wrong,,,but I don't understand why it would check both if only one is selected as a bootable device.

To make dual booting easier? I'm pretty sure that's how it is, but it might be different when you're installing W7 alongside W7. No point in dual booting two W7 partitions.