Installing origin games on second hdd?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

So my roommate just bought BF3 premium edition on Origin, for his new computer. His C drive, with windows, is a 128gb SSD, that's already damn near full, but he has a terabyte storage drive for most things. He installed Origin itself onto the storage drive (which is F). But, when we go to download BF3, it automatically created the "origin games" folder on the C drive (which doesn't have room), and wants to download BF3 there, and isn't giving an option to put it anywhere else. I was worried that would happen if he put origin on the C drive, which is why we did what I thought would eliminate any confusion, and just put origin on the F drive. But now origin is insisting on downloading the game to C, even though origin isn't on C. What's going on? How do we get origin to put BF3 in an "origin games" folder on the F drive?

#2 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

Anyone know what's going on here? I though the ability to choose install locations was like the one thing that Origin had over steam (at least before steam finally started letting you do that). But this is not only not giving an option, but it's automatically downloading/installing games onto the other harddrive, that origin itself isn't even on.

#3 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

Nevermind, we figured it out. Just had to change the default game install folder in the options. Hadn't even thought of that, because I didn't expect it to default to the C drive, even when origin itself was installed on F. All good though, now.

#4 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

I've just been doing the same thing this weekend, and shifted Origin, along with all linked games onto a spare 1TB drive.

With Origin installed and open, click Origin, Application Settings

On the General tab below selecting the language you can choose where games should be installed to. By default it will be C: Program Files/Origin... but you can set it to wherever you want. I just made a folder called Origin Games and set it to install there.

If your friend already has some Origin games installed on his SSD then there is a much faster way to get them reinstalled on the new location. Start the download, let it run for 40MB or so then pause it - this sets up the folder structure, then copy over the folder of your previous installation. Resume the download, it will recognise 99% of the content is correct, download any updates and then recognise the game is fully downloaded and installed correctly. For some reason simply copying an already installed game into the new location without Origin starting the download first causes problems and it gets stuck in a bit of a loop.

#5 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

I've just been doing the same thing this weekend, and shifted Origin, along with all linked games onto a spare 1TB drive.

With Origin installed and open, click Origin, Application Settings

On the General tab below selecting the language you can choose where games should be installed to. By default it will be C: Program Files/Origin... but you can set it to wherever you want. I just made a folder called Origin Games and set it to install there.

If your friend already has some Origin games installed on his SSD then there is a much faster way to get them reinstalled on the new location. Start the download, let it run for 40MB or so then pause it - this sets up the folder structure, then copy over the folder of your previous installation. Resume the download, it will recognise 99% of the content is correct, download any updates and then recognise the game is fully downloaded and installed correctly. For some reason simply copying an already installed game into the new location without Origin starting the download first causes problems and it gets stuck in a bit of a loop.

Avenger1324

Aaaahaha. Holy crap. We just ran into that same issue, before figuring out we had to change the default folder. Tried to just copy the fully downloaded BF3 to the second HDD, and none of the launchers would work, because origin didn't know where it was. Literally just a minute ago, we went ahead and deleted it all, to just download it again to the right location. Whatever though, we got fast internet. Hahaha.

#6 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
Agh bad timing!! I think BF3 is about an 18GB download with the updates and patches. There is also an option to set where the downloaded files should be, and whether you want to keep them - but I don't think that really works. A couple of years ago that feature put the downloaded files in a hidden folder in Program Data - but it seems changes to Origin mean those old files don't seem to work with "new" Origin. That's what got me to try copying installs over, hit the same issue, then the workaround. I did try setting up the directory for installs to be kept and stored, yet despite doing 3 games it hasn't put a single file in the "keep the install here" folder :P
#7 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

yeah, it bugs me that origin even does that. Makes downloading and installing two separate processes. Means that in order to do the complete download and install, you have to have more HDD space available than the game will actually use, when all is said and done. Just to be safe, we set the install folder, AND the temp folder for the "install files" both to new folders, on the second HDD, which has PLENTY of room.