Infantry only modes in BF3 any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

^Title

I am considering picking up either BF3 or MW3 and this will likely be the decisive factor. I HATE vehicle combat in shooters, be it Crysis Wars, BF series or any number of other games. So does BF3 have decent Infantry only modes without vehicles or are the popular ones always going to be vehicle heavy? I know MW3 is mainly infantry only.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They were good in BF2. There is also now a team death match with no vehicles.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Battlefield is all about large scale vehilce warfare but I have to admit...I will miss the infantry action of Arica Harbor Conquest on BC2.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

^Title

I am considering picking up either BF3 or MW3 and this will likely be the decisive factor. I HATE vehicle combat in shooters, be it Crysis Wars, BF series or any number of other games. So does BF3 have decent Infantry only modes without vehicles or are the popular ones always going to be vehicle heavy? I know MW3 is mainly infantry only.

SerOlmy
well..judging by your "HATE" for vehicles i would avoid BF3 and stick with MW3, the beta for consoles didnt have any vehicles and was is pretty intense but things like recoil and bullet drop are more drastic than other games i have played, id give a rent from a redbox when ic omes out and see how you like it, but i honestly cant see getting bf3 just for infantry its like a hamburger without the bun, its fills you up but its not satisfying
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SerOlmy
Yeah that's what I figured. Plus the whole Origin nonsense I'l probably just get MW3. TF2 is getting stale after so many years, I need another multiplayer game to play.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Yeah that's what I figured. Plus the whole Origin nonsense I'l probably just get MW3. TF2 is getting stale after so many years, I need another multiplayer game to play.SerOlmy
Lol, if you've played MW2 or Blops, MW3 will be stale before the end of the month.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SerOlmy
How will BF3 be any different if I don't like vehicle combat?
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#8 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I really don't think you'll have many servers running infantry only, I expect to see many conquest servers and even rush servers which will pretty much all have vehicles. Then again Metro doesn't and it works really well.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
How will BF3 be any different if I don't like vehicle combat?SerOlmy
Because it's vastly different. Have you tried the beta?...
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
because there's tons of infantry combat.
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts
[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]How will BF3 be any different if I don't like vehicle combat?yellosnolvr
because there's tons of infantry combat.

Besides, no one is forcing you to use vehicles. Heck, it's only half the fun taking them out. Vehicles are essential to BF. It's almost a requirement to use them to get from one side of the map to the other.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

Because graphics.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SerOlmy

Ok, so how does the infantry combat between MW and BF3 differ? I only have experience playing the first MW and I've never played any of the Battlefield games. Will there be a decent number of infantry maps or only Metro?

I know passions run deep on the whole MW vs BF stuff, but I'm genuinely trying to decide between the two. I may despise Origin, but other than that, I don't have a preference at present.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 C_Rule

Ok, so how does the infantry combat between MW and BF3 differ? I only have experience playing the first MW and I've never played any of the Battlefield games. Will there be a decent number of infantry maps or only Metro?

I know passions run deep on the whole MW vs BF stuff, but I'm genuinely trying to decide between the two. I may despise Origin, but other than that, I don't have a preference at present.

SerOlmy
Instead of continuously asking, why don't you just try the beta??
HoosTrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 HoosTrax
Member since 2006 • 1325 Posts
Vehicles are essential to BF.Steameffekt
And yet in BF2, one of the most common and popular server setups was the Strike at Karkand map with I/O settings (Infantry Only). To OP, I would see how the Back to Karkand map shapes up in BF3.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SerOlmy
[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]

C_Rule

Because I don't want to install Origin if I don't have too.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="SerOlmy"]

SerOlmy

That's seriously your reasoning?...

*sigh*

I bet you don't even know what you don't like it.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SerOlmy
Dude who are you the forum police? Stop derailing the thread. I asked the question to start a discussion not to be told what I should be doing. And FYI I know exactly why I don't want to use it, so keep your higher-than-thou crap to yourself.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 C_Rule

Dude who are you the forum police? Stop derailing the thread. I asked the question to start a discussion not to be told what I should be doing. And FYI I know exactly why I don't want to use it, so keep your higher-than-thou crap to yourself.SerOlmy

Wow, no need to get so upset.

You come here asking what BF3 gameplay is like, when there is an OPEN BETA out.

derp derp it does use steam derp:roll:

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

If you hate vehicle combat then you should definitely get MW3 instead of BF3. Unless you only tell yourself you hate it because you're afraid you'll just love the jets too much. Don't be afraid to love the jets.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

I've had both BF3 and MW3 pre-ordered on PC for a long time, although I have a much better idea of what BF3 will be like since I played the alpha and beta whereas MW3 I've only seen the X360 videos for it, but if you're not sure about the games, just watch some videos for it and read up about them. There's more than enough information on the internet for you to not only figure out what game you want to play, but possibly other things as well.

Here's MW3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkgdNMSY7bQ

BF3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRJnz00KU8s

It's as simple as this, BF3 offers vehicle combat and excels in these areas while MW3 offers gun-on-gun competitive gameplay. If you judge BF3 in terms of what MW3 does well, of course it will look mediocre, but on the flipside, MW3 doesn't even have vehicle combat so it works both ways. I'm getting BF3 in the hopes that the ultra setting will look much better than high(it's disabled on beta) and since I've wanted an MP focused game that could challenge my system. I loved BF 2142, BC2 I didn't enjoy so much for obvious reasons since they were far inferior in quality to the previous BF games, but I'm hoping the major changes DICE is making during crunch time will make BF3 the first real BF game since 2142(although personally I'm still looking forward to seeing a sequel to 2142). MW3 it's hard to say, I never had too much of a problem with the COD series but when I began perusing the internet I found that it tends to get bashed a lot, but all I can say is that it's the most polished, highest quality shooter out there of its kind, so it suits "COD type" gamers very well although well rounded gamers like me(e.g people who play all kinds of games ranging from combat/flight simulators to RTS to X4 to MOBA to FPS to TPS to puzzle to indie, etc.) tend not to have an issue with it, although we are quite cautious not to call it the be-all-end-all of FPS as it caters to a very specific set of play types as does Battlefield, and on the same note, as do games like ARMA, Red Orchestra, and I'd like to mention Day of Defeat as well.

Personally, I think everyone should buy BF3, MW3, Saints Row: The Third, RAGE, and so on, I think any serious gamer should have all AAA titles in their library.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 C_Rule

I've had both BF3 and MW3 pre-ordered on PC for a long time, although I have a much better idea of what BF3 will be like since I played the alpha and beta whereas MW3 I've only seen the X360 videos for it, but if you're not sure about the games, just watch some videos for it and read up about them. There's more than enough information on the internet for you to not only figure out what game you want to play, but possibly other things as well.

It's as simple as this, BF3 offers vehicle combat and excels in these areas while MW3 offers gun-on-gun competitive gameplay. If you judge BF3 in terms of what MW3 does well, of course it will look mediocre, but on the flipside, MW3 doesn't even have vehicle combat so it works both ways. I'm getting BF3 in the hopes that the ultra setting will look much better than high(it's disabled on beta) and since I've wanted an MP focused game that could challenge my system. I loved BF 2142, BC2 I didn't enjoy so much for obvious reasons since they were far inferior in quality to the previous BF games, but I'm hoping the major changes DICE is making during crunch time will make BF3 the first real BF game since 2142(although personally I'm still looking forward to seeing a sequel to 2142). MW3 it's hard to say, I never had too much of a problem with the COD series but when I began perusing the internet I found that it tends to get bashed a lot, but all I can say is that it's the most polished, highest quality shooter out there of its kind, so it suits "COD type" gamers very well although well rounded gamers like me(e.g people who play all kinds of games ranging from combat/flight simulators to RTS to X4 to MOBA to FPS to TPS to puzzle to indie, etc.) tend not to have an issue with it, although we are quite cautious not to call it the be-all-end-all of FPS as it caters to a very specific set of play types as does Battlefield, and on the same note, as do games like ARMA, Red Orchestra, and I'd like to mention Day of Defeat as well.

Personally, I think everyone should buy BF3, MW3, Saints Row: The Third, RAGE, and so on, I think any serious gamer should have all AAA titles in their library.

Zubinen

How can you say/imply MW has good gun on gun, when most of your deaths are from an explosive, a killstreak or a knife?:|

And since when do we need to buy over-rated games, to be a serious gamer? Saints Row 3 looks like a trashy mess, molded for 10 year olds.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

You don't have to be a pro with vehicles in battlefield games, and it's still very fun gunplay playing as infantry only. However you will most definitely end up using them regardless, because being driving or being a passenger will help you get to your objectives much faster than on foot which can be impractical.

And if you do decide to get BF3 it might slowly change your opinion on vehicles, because DICE implements them quite well.

jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts
[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]Vehicles are essential to BF.HoosTrax
And yet in BF2, one of the most common and popular server setups was the Strike at Karkand map with I/O settings (Infantry Only). To OP, I would see how the Back to Karkand map shapes up in BF3.

Also, if you look thru battlelog's server filter settings there is a setting for "Infantry Only". There will be infantry only servers for the game. Both the alpha and beta used a map with no vehicles. I always enjoyed the city maps/infantry only servers in BF2. Origin isn't nearly as bad as most people make it out to be and I haven't had any problems with it. MW3 will just offer the same old game play of Call of Duty.
mr_chalupa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mr_chalupa
Member since 2005 • 176 Posts

You should really try the beta out, its still there, for some 18 hours. get it and play the metro map, the feel of the guns imo is better than mw, the pace is a little different , imagine it as when you play the biggest map of MW. I dont know why ppl are saying that there arent going to be anough infantry only servers, on bf2 there were a lot of them, same thing for bf2142, and on bad company 2 wasnt like that because it already was an infatry oriented game with 2 vehicle per side, on most maps.

Now its not going to be any different. And the good thing with bf3 is that you will have the option to try playing with a jet, or a heli, with MW3 you dont.

I've played the beta of BF3 and I can tell you the gunplay, the feel of the weapons and the environment are awesome. You could say, well MW3 gives me that, but the teamwork that BF3 gives you most of the times is incredible, since you will feel that you are indeed battling your way up with your team, making a push for the objective with all of them. Thing that is missing in my experience with COD games.

I hope this mini experience will help you decide. I might be wrong about my personal opinion on MW, but im certainly correct with BF3.

And as someone said b4 try it. its free and you can unistall as soon as beta is over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="SerOlmy"]

SerOlmy

1.) Download beta

2.) Take 5 min to install origin while beta is downloading

3.) Play beta

4.) ????

5.) Profit

C_Rule is right, if you want to know what it's like then try it. Don't sit there going "OH NOEZ, NOT TEH ORIGINZZZZZ". You know you can uninstall it when you finish with the beta? Don't see what the big deal is, it's no different to using steam.

EDIT: Forgot that the beta ends in a couple of hours so you have missed your window to really get a feel for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I actually think the infantry combat in BF3 is the best it has ever been in a BF game. Its very solid and visceral/physical feeling. It has a nice fluid feel to it and its very satisfying. there are times when I don't want to play with vehicles at all and just run around in squad deathmatch rounds.

threeplusfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 threeplusfour
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Infantry combat is great fun in BF3 but the jets are just jokes, i have never laughed so much flying those things around the map and nearly scraping the floor and watching the comments pop up in the chat!

I will prob be playing quite a few infantry only modes as i always wait a few months before puchasing the next installment of COD.

Download the Beta and play the metro map and make up your own decision is the best answers as everyone has an opinion.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Infantry only was great in the beta. In some respects I enjoyed Metro more than the vehicles in Caspian Border. I feel pretty useless when a couple of tanks are shelling a capture point,unless I have a setup to deal with it. No need to worry about that with infantry.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SerOlmy
The reason I don't like vehicle maps is I can't stand getting rolled by a vehicle when on foot. After 2 or 3 times it just sends my blood pressure through the roof such that I literally don't want to play any more. But judging from what people are saying it should have good infantry only modes with less (?) explosive crap. Because I know that was a big problem in MW1. I'll still think on it since there is a few weeks left, but I may be leaning towards BF3. But as I said the rootkit nonsense that is Origin is a real turnoff. Even when you uninstall it the crap drivers still linger and with it's spyware-esque behavior I'm willing to bet someone is going to exploit it in the near future.