In game internet lag?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I don't play these games, I'm asking for a friend. He says that every game he plays online has lag. Our internet speed is about 30mbs Download and 5 upload. Everytime I do a speed test it comes close to that so I know it's not my internet. Can other players internet affect it? He also says he always has high ping on Counter Strike.

I never seem to have a problem when I play online with my PS3, and thats wireless, the PC is not.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Did he scan his computer for malware? If you share the same internet connection then IDK what else could be the problem, if you're fine with your PS3.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

ISP speed has nothing to do with good connection, you can even have 100Mbit connection and it'll be bad if the company got huge load at those times.

try to keep on servers that are under 200ping 30-150 are the best ones.

Firewall of anti virus or Windows could block somehow the connection and may cause lags, make sure in both the game is allowed.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@gregbmil said:

I don't play these games, I'm asking for a friend. He says that every game he plays online has lag. Our internet speed is about 30mbs Download and 5 upload. Everytime I do a speed test it comes close to that so I know it's not my internet. Can other players internet affect it? He also says he always has high ping on Counter Strike.

I never seem to have a problem when I play online with my PS3, and thats wireless, the PC is not.

Get him to test the game he plays with ONLY HIS PC on, everything else (PS3, Phones, Tablets, Laptops, Computers etc etc OFF). That will get the bandwidth test dedicated to the PC.

Also, it depends what server you're playing on, especially a fast game like CS.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

Depends on the servers that you are connected to and not just upload and download but also your ISP's latency to the closest relay point, I had very good dsl but when it came to latency in games it sucked.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

The upload and download are not the main thing to look at. Trace routes can help on checking latency. Try running the commands through a dos window.