I'm thinking of getting an Alienware....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

auboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 auboy
Member since 2005 • 247 Posts
I'm thinking of getting an Alienware Area 51 m5550 laptop. Do you think that it will be able to play most games that come out in the next 5+ years? (btw, this is the most expensive I can get. I can't spend too much more than $1,300...)
SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts
Honestly, I think Alienware is a bit pricey. And I'm not sure you'll be playing cutting edge games on it in five years. I have my doubts about that, but I could be wrong.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
next 1 year maybe.
kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts
you should get an overdrive pc they're 100% custom built and the parts are chosen to fit in harmony with eachother
kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts
dont get alienware or any other comanies like that...theyre very more pricy and because of there custom built cases and laptops they charge alot ..coz honestly when ur playing do u wanna look at a good game with max seetings on pc monitor or do u wanna look at the good looking case or laptop..just do some research talk to some ppl and choose everything yourself then go somewhere just give it to em and let em stick it in the case
Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts

even though I use to want an Alienware, i would strongly suggest against it.

Just like Nike and other popular brands, your paying for brand name and looks. last time i bought a pair of Nike they only lasted like 5-6 months i believe. now the shoes I buy are more comfortable, look good, and last longer....and are cheaper.

Point is, same with computers, for that money you can get a better computer than if you go with alienware. but its all up to you

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

I'm thinking of getting an Alienware Area 51 m5550 laptop. Do you think that it will be able to play most games that come out in the next 5+ years? (btw, this is the most expensive I can get. I can't spend too much more than $1,300...)auboy

It's a rip off dude. Any pre-built computer you find in a store is a rip off (more than likely). Learn to custom build and buy your stuff that way...I can garantee you you will save at least 50% on your purchases.

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts
I heard gaming labtops are a bad idea. Supposedly they have a very small battery life and overheat very often.
iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts

[QUOTE="auboy"]I'm thinking of getting an Alienware Area 51 m5550 laptop. Do you think that it will be able to play most games that come out in the next 5+ years? (btw, this is the most expensive I can get. I can't spend too much more than $1,300...)Skullheart

It's a rip off dude. Any pre-built computer you find in a store is a rip off (more than likely). Learn to custom build and buy your stuff that way...I can garantee you you will save at least 50% on your purchases.

Werd.

Ioden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Ioden
Member since 2003 • 16039 Posts

Ehh, for the record, you're all forgetting that he's talking about an Alienware laptop. Still probably overpriced but you can't build your own laptop.

At least, the average person can't.

eggsandsticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 eggsandsticks
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
pick up an a+ manual learn about computers, build your own, save money and grief. alienware sucks.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

I'm thinking of getting an Alienware Area 51 m5550 laptop. Do you think that it will be able to play most games that come out in the next 5+ years? (btw, this is the most expensive I can get. I can't spend too much more than $1,300...)auboy

Laptops are weaker in performance then desktop PCs. A mid range laptop would probably last around two years before it become too slow for newer games. Consider on getting a desktop pc instead of a laptop for gaming.

Another thing, gaming computers dont last 5 years. At the most, they will last about 4 years before it becoming too slow for the newer games.

A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I own Alienware and got a really good price on them right before Xmas. I have not had one single problem with it and am happy with the purchase. When the time comes my alienware has tons of room for upgrading and adding whatever I need and I can use any brandname I want in my PC's unlike if I were to buy a dell. Most people that badmouth them have never owned one and never will. To each his own I didn't pay anymore than anyother pre made PC.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Any prebuilt computer is a waste of money.
Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts
First off, if you arnt rich, getting a notebook for gaming is a waste of money. Gaming Notbooks are crap for trying to upgrade. seconf of all, if you do, get a gaming lappy from http://www.sagernotebook.com, they are the one who makes the alienware laptops and they are cheaper. for 1300$ you can get a top of the line PC that will own any game coming out for the next year or longer.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I think you can get preformance laptops from somewhere else than Alienware. They overcharge a bit.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

First off, if you arnt rich, getting a notebook for gaming is a waste of money. Gaming Notbooks are crap for trying to upgrade. seconf of all, if you do, get a gaming lappy from http://www.sagernotebook.com, they are the one who makes the alienware laptops and they are cheaper. for 1300$ you can get a top of the line PC that will own any game coming out for the next year or longer.Montaya

Meh my personal favorite laptops for gaming are dells.. They are priced well, have good support, sleek design, never overheat, good hardware options, good design for upgrading and reaching the processor and ram..

DrewTheSchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#18 DrewTheSchu
Member since 2003 • 518 Posts

DON'T DO IT!!!! I spent $4,000 on my alienware laptop back in 2004 and exactly one year later, the heat it generated caused so much damage that I couldn't play anything and since it was past warranty, I was SOL.I opened it up and there were actually scorch marks all inside. All fans were working fine and inside, vents, fans, etc were all free of dust. I went to the alienware forums and TONS of people had the exact same problem as me.

Alienware is overpriced and overrated. Your just paying for a "famous name" in a sense.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="Montaya"]First off, if you arnt rich, getting a notebook for gaming is a waste of money. Gaming Notbooks are crap for trying to upgrade. seconf of all, if you do, get a gaming lappy from http://www.sagernotebook.com, they are the one who makes the alienware laptops and they are cheaper. for 1300$ you can get a top of the line PC that will own any game coming out for the next year or longer.sSubZerOo

Meh my personal favorite laptops for gaming are dells.. They are priced well, have good support, sleek design, never overheat, good hardware options, good design for upgrading and reaching the processor and ram..

Dell laptops actually rated higher in pc gaming magazines then alienware. Dell is cheaper also.

Go with Dell for laptops.

And referring to eggsandsticks, A+ manuals don't teach you to build laptops... :roll:

bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
Have fun getting ripped off!
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Montaya"]First off, if you arnt rich, getting a notebook for gaming is a waste of money. Gaming Notbooks are crap for trying to upgrade. seconf of all, if you do, get a gaming lappy from http://www.sagernotebook.com, they are the one who makes the alienware laptops and they are cheaper. for 1300$ you can get a top of the line PC that will own any game coming out for the next year or longer.DragonfireXZ95

Dell laptops actually rated higher in pc gaming magazines then alienware. Dell is cheaper also.

And referring to eggsandsticks, A+ manuals don't teach you to build laptops... :roll:

He was referring to a desktop PC. But you don't even need any type of manual to learn how to build one. All you have to do really is open a desktop look how it's put together and then it's like legos.

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts
5+ years... lol. I don't think you could do that even if you had a 2x 8800 Ultras in SLI.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Montaya"]First off, if you arnt rich, getting a notebook for gaming is a waste of money. Gaming Notbooks are crap for trying to upgrade. seconf of all, if you do, get a gaming lappy from http://www.sagernotebook.com, they are the one who makes the alienware laptops and they are cheaper. for 1300$ you can get a top of the line PC that will own any game coming out for the next year or longer.cos_vanquish

He was referring to a desktop PC. But you don't even need any type of manual to learn how to build one. All you have to do really is open a desktop look how it's put together and then it's like legos.

Yeah I figured that, but the OP wants a laptop so that post was completely redundant.

VfighterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VfighterX
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts

Sry man... even if it was 1,300 for a desktop alienware you might still have problems in a year. Alienwares are always pricey. I would reccomend that you build one (it's worth it because once you build the first computer the later ones are much easier and faster, also you would save a huge amount of money - computer costing $800 instead of $1,300)

If you want to buy all the individual parts for a computer you could go to www.newegg.com

If you want to get information on building a computer and the reccomended parts go to the community forums www.tomshardware.com

Spread the knowledge man. :P

Ioden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 Ioden
Member since 2003 • 16039 Posts

I've always wondered- if I have like $3k to spend on a computer, couldn't I just get quad SLI with 8800 Ultras, 4 GB of RAM, and two (or 4, theoretically) Core 2 Duos or some crazy layout like that, and be able to pretty much take over the world with the power of my computer? And then get like a 30" monitor and surround sound speakers and pretty much be a god?

I mean, that kind of computer could output Crysis on a 30" monitor on maximum settings and get 100 FPS, so why would someone buy Alienware that couldn't do half of that instead?

I know that's kinda off-topic from laptops but still. It's nice to dream.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts
Firstly you're not going to get 5 years of gaming from a laptop, no matter how much you spend up front. Mainly because laptop components aren't nearly as powerful for gaming as desktop components. You also aren't really going to be able to upgrade much on a laptop unlike a desktop. Secondly I wouldn't get an Alienware or a Voodoo or any of those "gaming" pc builder laptops. They're way over priced. Do some research on gaming laptops and you'll find some much better deals out there. Finally, unless you really need the portablilty of a laptop you'll be much happier spending your money on a desktop. I built my midrange desktop almost 2 years ago and I still play everything with the settings maxed out. No way you can get that kind of performance for that long with a laptop. A laptop is for someone who's needs their computer with them everywhere they go. I also agree that it's not a bad idea to build it yourself. Once you put together your first pc you'll never want to buy a prebuilt one ever again. like someone said in an earlier post, it's almost as simple as legos.
skullman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skullman1
Member since 2005 • 3384 Posts

Well for $1300 you could probably make your own desktop and I definitely wouldn't recommend buying a laptop if you are going to use it strictly for gaming.You'd be better off getting a mid-high end PC rather than spending money on a laptop because you are trying to cut corners on spending (built in monitor....etc).Chances are you wont be playing games on any PC for 5 years....Well playing yes but the visuals wont look so great after a while.You'll want to upgrade when that happens and you'll be screwed if you own a laptop, build a desktop (or even buy one) and you can re-use the case at the very least, put whatever you want in it whenever you want, and monitors last almost forever.If you are getting a laptop for some other reason besides cost then go for it but don't get one to avoid spending too much money, you'll just be cheating yourself in the long run.

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts
I allways wanted to have ALIENWARE great performance and design but its sooooo expensive:cry:
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

Dude no way just build it on your own. Look what you can get it's what I got. For only 1500$ you can get something worthwhile. Talking 10 years down the road you will be set.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5705512

ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts

I've always wondered- if I have like $3k to spend on a computer, couldn't I just get quad SLI with 8800 Ultras, 4 GB of RAM, and two (or 4, theoretically) Core 2 Duos or some crazy layout like that, and be able to pretty much take over the world with the power of my computer? And then get like a 30" monitor and surround sound speakers and pretty much be a god?

I mean, that kind of computer could output Crysis on a 30" monitor on maximum settings and get 100 FPS, so why would someone buy Alienware that couldn't do half of that instead?

I know that's kinda off-topic from laptops but still. It's nice to dream.

Ioden

You can't get 100 fps with dual ultras even in 1280x1024 on high settings in crysis, what makes you think it will do so well @ 2560x1920 maxed.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Next 5+ years? No, no pc made today can make that guarantee (maybe if you buy a top of line desktop PC it will still be a pretty good machine 5+ years from now. But not a laptop PC, usually because they are overpriced and underpowered. You are paying for the portability factor, not the power.

auboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 auboy
Okay guys, thanks for all the feedback. i think I'll try to build my own using a guide.
auboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 auboy
One more thing: do you think I will be able to use the case for my Dell Dimension (aka the Antichrist), take most things out, and replace them with updated components? (new RAM, motherboard, video card, etc.?)
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I told you dell will not let you use anything but dell hardware etc...you cannot upgrade a dell unless you use dell stuff. Most of the people aren't even talking about laptops here..
gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts
I told you dell will not let you use anything but dell hardware etc...you cannot upgrade a dell unless you use dell stuff. Most of the people aren't even talking about laptops here.. A1B2C3CAL
I agree from my DELL expiriance also!
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95

One more thing: do you think I will be able to use the case for my Dell Dimension (aka the Antichrist), take most things out, and replace them with updated components? (new RAM, motherboard, video card, etc.?)auboy

No you won't be able to use any of the parts save for the hard drive and cd drive probably. The PSU is most likely crap and you would definitely have to get a new PSU. And usually Dell welds in their PSU's so you can't take them out, not to mention the case is probably small and cramped.

auboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 auboy
All right, I think I understand it a little better now. Thanks again.
shaunmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38 shaunmc
Member since 2003 • 1957 Posts
I've moved this thread from PC Games to PC Hardware because trying to make a game out of an Alienware case, well, that might be a little hard.
drucom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 drucom
Member since 2004 • 766 Posts

dont get alienware or any other comanies like that...theyre very more pricy and because of there custom built cases and laptops they charge alot ..coz honestly when ur playing do u wanna look at a good game with max seetings on pc monitor or do u wanna look at the good looking case or laptop..just do some research talk to some ppl and choose everything yourself then go somewhere just give it to em and let em stick it in the casekirk4ever

I'd say anyone wants both at the same time, no?

But yes, Alienware and other high-end custom PC manufacturers overprice their products. The fact that it's a laptop you want makes it so much harder to choose though.

Mavlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mavlow
Member since 2007 • 223 Posts

Well normally i would build my own but i just purchased a dell XPS, It costed me 250 more than if i would have built it my self but i got a free 3 year warranty and a big discount from my company.

Unless you can get a deal like that i would say build your own every time. Its really not that hard at all just take your time