im new to pc gaming and need help.!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts

so im getting kinda tired of my 360 freezing up and the rrod , so i recently decided id invest in upgrading my pc. the only problem is i have no idea what to buy for it. ill read my specs off my pc, bear with me im new.

amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4200+

1024 mb memory

320 gb hard drive

nvidia geforce 6150 le graphics.

its an hp with windows vista

and thats seriously all i know. now i dont know if i need to upgrade my graphics card or what not because i dont even know if thats good or not. so please just suggest to me some things i need to buy to make it more gaming accessible.

(i dont want to play crysis, im just a huuge rts fan)

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_topics.php?board_id=314159272

They'll help ya out.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

so im getting kinda tired of my 360 freezing up and the rrod , so i recently decided id invest in upgrading my pc. the only problem is i have no idea what to buy for it. ill read my specs off my pc, bear with me im new.

amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4200+

1024 mb memory

320 gb hard drive

nvidia geforce 6150 le graphics.

its an hp with windows vista

and thats seriously all i know. now i dont know if i need to upgrade my graphics card or what not because i dont even know if thats good or not. so please just suggest to me some things i need to buy to make it more gaming accessible.

(i dont want to play crysis, im just a huuge rts fan)

ag3ntz3rox0x

Well assuming you want to play the newer rts and maybe COD:4 For graphics go for a Nividia 8800 Numero uno priority. next get another gig of ram and i believe ( to tired to look it up) that your processor is 2.2 ghz (off the top of my head) get a new one.

ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ag3ntz3rox0x
so go with the graphics card firts? is mine no good? and how much are we looking at to get this baby running smoothly?
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

so go with the graphics card firts? is mine no good? and how much are we looking at to get this baby running smoothly?ag3ntz3rox0x

I wouldn't even consider that a graphics card, you will be looking at arount 200 dollars US to get a decent card. You should be able to play many games if not the newest ones with you processor. Definately get a new card though, and yeah its not cheap.

ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ag3ntz3rox0x

ive run the system requirements for most rts games im interested in and most of them say i need more ram to meet the reccomended specs to run at full speed. how do i upgrade my ram?

AFraud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AFraud
Member since 2004 • 1500 Posts

[QUOTE="ag3ntz3rox0x"]so go with the graphics card firts? is mine no good? and how much are we looking at to get this baby running smoothly?harrisi17

I wouldn't even consider that a graphics card, you will be looking at arount 200 dollars US to get a decent card. You should be able to play many games if not the newest ones with you processor. Definately get a new card though, and yeah its not cheap.

He can get a 9600GT for around $140 after rebate, which is more than adequate maybe even overkill for most games. The 8800GT and Radeon 3870 can also both be had for under $200 after rebate. And with ram prices being so low, he should get another gig of ram. This all belongs in the hardware section btw.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
[QUOTE="harrisi17"]

[QUOTE="ag3ntz3rox0x"]so go with the graphics card first? is mine no good? and how much are we looking at to get this baby running smoothly?AFraud

I wouldn't even consider that a graphics card, you will be looking at around 200 dollars US to get a decent card. You should be able to play many games if not the newest ones with you processor. Definitely get a new card though, and yeah its not cheap.

He can get a 9600GT for around $140 after rebate, which is more than adequate maybe even overkill for most games. The 8800GT and Radeon 3870 can also both be had for under $200 after rebate. And with ram prices being so low, he should get another gig of ram. This all belongs in the hardware section btw.

I kinda already said that but Whatever I forgot to say price depending on your budget you may not want to go AS overboard on the processor but everything else is low budget friendly it should cost a little less then 400 depending on what processor for gaming amd (some say intel which is great and all but amd is TYPICALLY better then Intel when it comes to this kind of stuff) also for ram don't get the expensive 1 gb but don't get the cheapest I made a bad mistake getting cheap ram (faulty) go for a middle price. Processor i would suggest 3.0ghz now no you don't need it THAT high but for one you wont have to get one later and for the most part it will play just about all of the games you want. Now if you find an intel for less with the same speed then obviously get it but take in the duel core quad etc..
farkinell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 farkinell
Member since 2006 • 267 Posts
I'd keep that processor and save the cash for a decent graphics card (9600gt is good bang for the buck). I'm running an 3800 X2 socket 939 (gasp!) which does not even match the TC's processor but manages to keep up with all the newest games when coupled to my 8800GT.
vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

ive run the system requirements for most rts games im interested in and most of them say i need more ram to meet the reccomended specs to run at full speed. how do i upgrade my ram?

ag3ntz3rox0x

Don't believe that, and if you are only gonna upgrade something, get a videocard, that thing isn't for games, believe me.

Get the 9600GT or 8800GT or HD 3870.

Another gig of RAM is really important.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
i can play most games out there and my graphics card is the nvidia 8400 and it works fine no lag at all and i have 1 and a half gigs of ram(need to upgrade)
xwolfghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 xwolfghost
Member since 2005 • 6076 Posts
You are going to have to make sure you have the right connection on your Motherboard for some things but for graphics cards you should go for the 9600GT, best performance for your dollar. Kinda hard to explain certain things, all I can say is do your research first, it will really pay off