IL-2 Strumovik: Cliffs of Dover release date confirmed!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

w00t

The day has arrive and the PROPER sequal to IL-2 is finally being released.(none of that Wings of Prey crap)

From their offical fourms

World famous IL-2 Sturmovik series of flight simulators roars over Britain. 1C Company and Ubisoft announced that IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (for PC) will take off in March 2011.
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover is the latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover takes place in 1940 during the pivotal aerial battle for the skies over Britain between the British, the German and the Italian air forces.
Key Features:

• New aircraft: incredibly detailed true-to-life modeling of aircraft systems based on thousands of hours of dedicated research. Every single aircraft component can be damaged for realistic and immensely satisfying results.
    1. Flyable aircraft – Over a dozen famous and highly detailed English, German and Italian aircraft available, with all crew positions open to players. All flyable aircraft have been painstakingly researched, resulting in incredibly accurate cockpit interiors (including Spitfire, Hurricane, Messerschmitt and the Stuka).
    2. Non-flyable aircraft – 13 AI controlled additional aircraft are also available to allow an even more accurate and immersive experience thanks to a varied aircraft.
  • Immersive game modes:
    1. Exciting Single-Player Campaign – The campaign thrusts the player into the middle of the battle. The player will join the British Air Force to fight the German forces and renegade pilots on his own side, or join the German Luftwaffe and take part in meticulously recreated historical battles.
    2. Massive multiplayer – Customizable modes range from simple deathmatch-****free-for-alls to epic, ongoing 128 player battles that can last hours, days, weeks, or even longer.
    3. Interactive training – Comprehensive interactive training for new players – fly a real WWII trainer plane with a computer controlled instructor through a series of training missions.
  • Brand new setting – The battle will take place on a large area spanning London and southern England in the north, to Northern France and Belgium in the south. The huge map will contain thousands of historical cities, towns, roads, airfields, radar stations, ports, and industrial areas – all located exactly where they were in 1940.
  • New 3D engine – Latest-gen graphics engine with DX10 and DX11 API support. Huge variety of photorealistic ground vehicles, buildings and other environmental elements recreate minute details of 1940s Europe.
  • Customizable difficulty – dozens of realism options allow newcomers to the franchise to reduce the difficulty and focus on the fun while learning the ropes of being a pilot.

1C and Ubisoft also announced that IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover will be available in a special Collector's Edition, along-side the standalone version.
This Collector's Edition features the following collection of exclusive pilot material assets in a premium packaging:

• The Windows PC version of IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
  • A cloth pilot escape map showing The Battle of Britain strategic locations
  • A replica of the Pilot's Notes on the Spitfire I Aeroplane, provided to RAF pilots during The Battle of Britain and reprinted from the RAF Museum original document
  • An in-depth 150-page ring binder pilot instructions

1C

Youtube Trailer

From what I can tell, it looks to be a true flight sim. The aicraft are stupidly detailed, the graphics are amazing, massive online battles... this is what we have been waiting for.

Time to drop $200 for a good flight stick and divorce the wives, the Nazi war machine needs to be stopped again.

dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts

good news indeed, though i wont stop playing the original

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58530 Posts

time for me to brush off the ol' joystick.

been craving for a new WWII flight sim.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

march 2011, you say? i wasn't even aware of this game, and now it's right behind the corner! looks nice. now, where's that old joystick of mine...

e: geez, it's really been a while since i used it last time... the ol' bastard has a gameport connector. guess i need to go shopping.

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

This is Storm of War: Battle of Britain. I guess they changed the title to be more recognizable. It's the true sequel to IL-2.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The worst part is that it is now being published by Ubi. Looks like I won't be buying it after all. :(

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wasdie  Moderator

The worst part is that it is now being published by Ubi. Looks like I won't be buying it after all. :(

WhiteKnight77

Didn't they publish the first one?

Yeah they did. Seeing the game is actually in a Minecraft style beta right now and is being modded and reskinned by people already, I don't think you need to worry about anything.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

Wasdie

Yeah they did. Seeing the game is actually in a Minecraft style beta right now and is being modded and reskinned by people already, I don't think you need to worry about anything.

We don't know anything about the DRM yet, do we?

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

128 players! :shock: Awesome!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

ventnor

We don't know anything about the DRM yet, do we?

Hasn't been announced yet so I doubt we will see it.

Just becuase ubi is publishing doesn't mean it's going to be loaded with DRM. If sales of the previous game show, this series has longevity that most don't. This game will sell a lot over it's life. That's how the first one did. If they had half a brain they would know not to put some DRM on this game that will really ruin people's want to buy expansions, which you know are coming.

yemen_headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yemen_headshot
Member since 2010 • 514 Posts

WhiteKnight77
mate its not owned by ubisoft don't worry about any kind of DRM, ubisoft is just publishing it !!
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Hasn't been announced yet so I doubt we will see it.

Just becuase ubi is publishing doesn't mean it's going to be loaded with DRM. If sales of the previous game show, this series has longevity that most don't. This game will sell a lot over it's life. That's how the first one did. If they had half a brain they would know not to put some DRM on this game that will really ruin people's want to buy expansions, which you know are coming.

Wasdie

As you found out, yes, Ubi published the first one and it's sequel, Forgotten Battles and everything else including iL2: 1946. Of course, we do not know what kind of DRM will be used if any. Though I have seen that Ubi has stopped requiring a 24/7 connection to play games released with OSP, gamers still have to connect and authenticate the game to even play it. I can support authentication once, but every time I want to play is still outlandish and still is not customer friendly and treats customers badly. I cannot support even this new step in the OSP.

I own iL2: Sturmovik and it's sequel Forgotten Battles and everything else released including iL2: 1946. I know the iL2 franchise has been a long selling franchise and really popular, but I have stopped supporting Ubi due to their customer relations screw ups and actions. The only saving grace is that Oleg Maddox and Maddox Games is the developer behind it and not Ubi (SHV is indicative of Ubi trashing a good game amongst others). Trusting Ubi not to put in any DRM is like trusting Ubi to keep developing a true Rainbow Six game and not some CoD clone.

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

yemen_headshot

mate its not owned by ubisoft don't worry about any kind of DRM, ubisoft is just publishing it !!

See above.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts
original game was probably and still best WW2 fight flight simulator ever created, dunno about Wings of Prey or Cliffs of Dover games but from the trailer a 128 player online battle - CHAOS!!!
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

This is Storm of War: Battle of Britain. I guess they changed the title to be more recognizable. It's the true sequel to IL-2.

Ragingbear505

Yup. It looks like the game will be the 1940 period. I'm guessing later periods with newer aircraft will be add-ons later which is fine. Oh well. I thought Cliffs of Dover will be the last of my list to show up:

DCS: A-10

MS Flight

X-Plane 10

SoW: BoB.

I guess not. :lol:

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
YES!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

Reading the forums it looks like there is a one time activation DRM. Not 100% sure on that. Definitly won't be the crazy crap UBI has been doing for awhile. That's actually starting to become a standard. Even though there are ways around I can see it being a better thing that absolutly nothing.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
original game was probably and still best WW2 fight flight simulator ever created, dunno about Wings of Prey or Cliffs of Dover games but from the trailer a 128 player online battle - CHAOS!!!PredatorRules
Wings of Prey was pretty bad. It has really nice graphics, but that that's about all I can say for it.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Can't wait, eyeing that collectors edition.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

We'll see how the reviews (No, not from here. Rather, from flight sim sites) go. More than likely, I'll buy the game DRM or no DRM.

azurik15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 azurik15
Member since 2004 • 247 Posts

Finally!

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

The description of the single player campaign has me worried.

Renegade British pilots? Sounds like it's going to be a linear, scripted affair. I was hoping for a historical, dynamic campaign similar to Battle of Britain II's or the old Lucasarts's Their Finest Hour.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wasdie  Moderator

The description of the single player campaign has me worried.

Renegade British pilots? Sounds like it's going to be a linear, scripted affair. I was hoping for a historical, dynamic campaign similar to Battle of Britain II's or the old Lucasarts's Their Finest Hour.

bogaty

Yeah I think they are trying to do recreations. Maybe they couldn't get their dynamic campaign ready for release?

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
New engine=amazing news.