If you were a game developer, what kind of game would you develop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

runtime211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 runtime211
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

Would you develop a multiplayer realism shooter like Counter Strike? A WWII RTS like Company of Heroes? A new sports franchise? A realistic racing simulation game? An epic historical strategy game like Rome Total War? A free roam RPG like Oblivion? Or a hybrid?

I think I'm going to get some passionate responses from you guys.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

I have 3 types of games in mind

a superhero game for pc

ware wolf vs vampires

1 mmorpg

A spi game

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Old school RTS, Dungeon Keeper and System Shock 2 clone.
runtime211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 runtime211

Well, as for me, I've been really thinking about this. Particulary on the subject of multiplayer vs single player.

I want to make a great outdoor or open indoor area tactical fps (the enemies are very good, like Rainbow Six). You have a squad. You can issue commands to your squad. You have flashbangs and real grenades as well, and you can plan ahead and equip weapons from the start. No need to worry about ammo, and health damage is permanent (for the mission). Maybe even a mode where you health recharges. Once you reach critical health (after a couple bullet hits) you can no longer play. It might take place on a ship, or a war camp, and the weather would be cloudy and ominous (or at night or early morning). I would include a lot of cut scenes so that there is a back end story (something about terrorism) with all these disjoint missions. And I would definitely not skimp on the soundtrack. Among the objectives include defusing a bomb, rescuing hostages, gathering intel (using lockpicks, security system hacking devices, and avoiding cameras) so that the game will reward planned stealthy play. It would be open ended in that teams can enter the objective from different entrances, and rendezvous later, or work on different parts of the objective. There would be *no* vehicles, as I do not think they belong in single player campaigns for any purpose but to navigate around the map (which would be unnecessary in this game).

Now, here's where my dilemma comes in. Single player is fun and all - but I would like to incorporate multiplayer gaming into this. Games are infinitely more fun when you're playing with real AI, but you lose out on a whole bunch of things, such as atmosphere/story, and such. So I think I would institute a co-op mode with support for up to 16 players on the counter terrorism team (adjusting the AI to make sure that the game still is challenging). But if you don't have internet access, you can still play the game single player. If it were possible, I'd make both the terrorism and counter terrorism teams real people in a multiplayer mode, but that would just lead to camping and random firefights (like in counterstrike). The problem with this game is longevity...the co-op mode would be done as soon as the game is over. In that regard, making the game solely single player might be the best idea.

My objective with this game is to make a game that's:

a) Not brainless. You don't just shoot with no real purpose and you have to think before you act.

b) Not necesarily twitch based. This could use some work in terms of game dynamics.

c) Fun. Multiplayer usually has the edge in this category, but it fails in many other aspects.

d) Immersive and an interesting story. Atmosphere is key. Not totally depressing, but mysterious...

e) Realistic. I don't want to be shooting some large insect from Planet X.

f) Easy to start and stop. The missions being disjoint, you're not really obligated (as I feel in many other games) to continue playing until you finish (although you'd might like to).

If the technology ever becomes good enough to make a good single player campaign work as multiplayer, that would be my ideal game.

Danili0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Danili0
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts
I want to make an adventure/story teling game that i had in mind for quite a while, but that's just an idea, so i don't think i will ever be able to.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
A Warhammer 40k TPS using the CryEngine 2 on an insane scale.
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts
Space flight sim with a combat scale far greater than Freespace 2... It's nice to dream...
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
rpg with story, open-endness and explorating nicelly balanced along with a decent combat
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

I would want to make a very story driven free roam FPS set in a dystopic, futuristic urban environment with a huge variety of play styIes, including running and gunning, stealthing (hiding in shadows and hiding in plain sight with disguises), dialogue and more.

I would want GTA-styIe missions built around a faction system not entirely unlike the one seen in GTA2, only more intricate. I would want character development similar to that seen in roleplaying games, but I would not want to force players into having to adopt a particular styIe of play for the entire game because that was the kind of character they developed.

Essentially the game would be a mixture of Grand Theft Auto, Escape from Butcher Bay, System Shock 2, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, Half Life 2 and Crysis.

The core gameplay principle would be the freedom to approach any situation in a large number of ways.

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
I would make an RPG that follows either Imajica (Clive Barker) where you play as Gentle or the Dark Tower where you play as Roland.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

like a MMO-ACTION-RPG

and make it really fast paced

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
What game I would develop? The answer to that question depends on what day you ask me. I have literally 100+ ideas for games, most of them unique, but some are based on games currently in existence I have a game that at first glance could sound like Civilization, but the game mechanics are quite different (the game is more realistic, and there's a huge difference in how you play the game during the different "phases" of the game) I have a game where you are sent back in time to avoid a nuclear war (around 50 years back in time, time travel doesn't give you the option to selected a specific date) . In this game you start a "Men for hire" company (want someone dead? Kidnapped? Persuaded to help you? We can handle any task). The action part of the game could look a bit like Syndicate, except a bit more slow paced. You do task for others to get money, but you can also set up tasks for yourself to help your in your mission. Every mission you take and every person you kill can change the outcome of the game. Maybe your decisions just post-pones the nuclear war or even make it start earlier or maybe your decisions makes the world become an utopia (if you let the right people live and the wrong people stay in the graves). This game doesn't have much with Syndicate in common, except for the presentation of the action
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
a military game that doesn't take itself seriously, has crazy weapons like a facehugger type mine, and has this as its theme song.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mracoon
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts
A good one.
astor47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 astor47
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts

I'm going to be a game developer, mark my words, and all previews, news, etc. First HERE at the PC games forum!

runtime211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 runtime211

I'm going to be a game developer, mark my words, and all previews, news, etc. First HERE at the PC games forum!

astor47
*looks at gears avatar* No thanks.
astor47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 astor47
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts
[QUOTE="astor47"]

runtime211

*looks at gears avatar* No thanks.

Durrrr

This account was from my nephew, :lol: it's an alt shhhh

BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BushWacker69
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts

a good warhammer fantasy battle rts or a stealth game set it same / 40k (s'all good)

failing that i'd simply do a stealth game similar to thief/assassins creed? IDK honestly

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

Something like Freelancer meets Mass Effect. You'd fight off invaders both aboard your capital ship and in fighters, and of course on space stations and planets. And the plot and world would either be epic a la B5 or crazy and funny like in Farscape.

Other one would be something like Bloodlines, RPG with vampires, werewolves and stuff, a real fantasy world set in current times like in Angel and Buffy. It would be loosely based on D&D system, but where there are elves etc. there would be vampires and so on. And real time combat.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

these are my plans:

a historical action adventure with fps elements and stealth elements about the history of my beloved country Philippines from Spanish colony until modern times (as you can see we Filipinos are suffering ATM)

a survival horror game with Philippine mythology creatures like tikbalang (the head yes the head and the foot are that of a horse but the body is that of a human and walks like a human unlike a centaur from Greek mythology). etc.

a cyberpunk-themed stealth game inspired by Danny Phantom and Ergo Proxy

a hack and slash RPG in a fantasy setting featuring different countries with realistic story about life, friendship, love, betrayal, tragedy, etc.

another action adventure game combining the different genre settings such as fantasy, sci-fi, horror, reality, etc.

another hack and slash action adventure game about Filipino epics (we have plenty of epics just like other countries like US,etc.)

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Old school RTS, Dungeon Keeper and System Shock 2 clone.thusaha

If you were to make a SS2 clone, would you make it in the styIe of System Shock 2, or more like BioShock?

I ask as one would almost certainly see a decent financial return, while the other might not. If you did make a SS2 clone, it may well end up being your first, last and only game.

If I could make the game I wanted to make, I wouldn't care to make any other game, regardless of how successful it was.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
A Warhammer 40k TPS using the CryEngine 2 on an insane scale.Lonelynight

The same, only I'd develop an FPS, due to a total lack of imagination.

Seriously though; CryEngine 2, Warhammer 40K and First Person Shooter. That's what I'd be doing.
It would have to include an epic story of heresy, advanced alien races and ancient deathless machines, of course.
BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BushWacker69

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]A Warhammer 40k TPS using the CryEngine 2 on an insane scale.Doom_HellKnight

The same, only I'd develop an FPS, due to a total lack of imagination.

Seriously though; CryEngine 2, Warhammer 40K and First Person Shooter. That's what I'd be doing.
It would have to include an epic story of heresy, advanced alien races and ancient deathless machines, of course.

hmmm... no game will ever capture the horus heresy, but one of the smaller heresies maybe. hell i'd buy it. long as at some point the DE come in and kill loads of people and just dissapear, cus they are sinister when done right (i.e. not soulstorm)

DaSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 DaSoul
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts
something like fable,only a bit more realistic.it wud be open ended and you could have a job,a family and like fable 2 kinda,but yeah.
Yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 Yorro
Member since 2007 • 715 Posts

I am an actual game developer, can't say which.

I am trying to pitch to my boss the concept of Freelance meets Mass Effect.

middito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 middito
Member since 2003 • 955 Posts
an action themed fantasy-fps, with online capabilites and community. just as demanding as crysis, with some character customization and building.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I thought of something else, a FPS/RPG WW2 game where you can join either the Airborne or Infantry in the invasion of Normady. And every soldier has a unique personality.
Skeptomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skeptomania
Member since 2004 • 8104 Posts
I would like to see someone make a truly serious effort to create a first person ball-sport game. I think it can be done. Not all ball-sports would work, but something like soccer, hockey or dodgeball might. It wouldn't have to be ultra realistic to be fun. Making it so you can play online in teams would be the best part.
augustlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 augustlight
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts
I'd develop a Western RPG/FPS hybrid in which you can either play as an outlaw bent on taking over a town by force or a sheriff trying desparately to uphold the law.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Something like Mass Effect, a hybrid of two genres that does both extremely well.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
a studio that concentrates on movie and novel tie ins -- but with quality.
BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BushWacker69

a studio that concentrates on movie and novel tie ins -- but with quality. Jinroh_basic

finally

PointedCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PointedCow
Member since 2004 • 212 Posts

This game

www.projectstealth.org

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts
I would make a modern day RPG, no sci-fi or fantasy, about a Mexican guy who illegally immigrated to the US, then get involved into some kind of government plan to do something bad.
the game must have GTA free-form playing and driving, lots of exploration, side quests with memorable NPCs and stories that actually have some depth (non of that clone-army of emotionless-robots-voiced-by-one-guy aka oblivion),
basically its deus-ex meets GTA meets baldurs gate modern day.
Aldouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Aldouz
Member since 2008 • 1206 Posts

A game that has a love value in it...

Because, do you Know how many song have love value in its lyrics... Sooo many

Why??? because everyone agrees it's interesting...

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#36 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
A sci-fi shooter trilogy where you are cast as a Faceless soldier and you have to save the galaxy using a variety of weapons and vehicles to unlock the mysteries of a planet.
foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts

A sci-fi shooter trilogy where you are cast as a Faceless soldier and you have to save the galaxy using a variety of weapons and vehicles to unlock the mysteries of a planet. biggest_loser

so given the opportunity of a developer you would make halo? come on

agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#38 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts

An old school FPS that has an amazing level editor where you face off against thousands of zombies, aliens, terrorists, or whatever in the game and at least have co-op on the pc.

Or a survival horror game like Condemned, only you don't have any firearms, and for some of the levels you just run away as fast as you can, and having tons of weapons you can improvise, but nothing to ridculous.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
A large scale FPS with a many, many soldiers on screen belonging to large groups, all shooting at each other over huge distances, and the game itself would be pseudofuturistic with still projectile-based weapons.
runtime211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 runtime211

An old school FPS that has an amazing level editor where you face off against thousands of zombies, aliens, terrorists, or whatever in the game and at least have co-op on the pc.

Or a survival horror game like Condemned, only you don't have any firearms, and for some of the levels you just run away as fast as you can, and having tons of weapons you can improvise, but nothing to ridculous.

agturboninja
You can't make an old school fps if you make it now...It's like saying I want to make an antique car.