If i buy a game from GreenManGaming.com will it work on Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Marzarmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Marzarmy
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts

i never bought a PC game from 3rd party websites, i just buy from Steam, which is why i ask such a noob question lol.

i wanted to get the game "To the Moon" on GreenManGaming (since thats the cheapest place i seen it) and wanted to know will it work on steam if i prchase it?

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

I have never used GMG, but it most likely doesn't since there isn't any mention of it. If you check something like Black Ops they specifically say you need a Steam account to play.

Frosal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Frosal
Member since 2005 • 399 Posts
Depends on the game. I can't even find To the Moon on Steam. I did find this -- http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/17/to-the-moon-rocketing-to-steam-soon-play-it-so-its-not-your-la/ Here's a list of games that are on Steam you can check for further reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_games If the game is on the list and is steamworks, there's a good chance you'll get a key that does activate on Steam - the only game I can think of that is the exception is Alan Wake if you buy it from GOG.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

All of the games I bought from them have.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
if you can't register the CD key on steam, you can always add the game as a non-steam game.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

Here is a thread on the Steam forums with a list of games that you can activate on Steam. There is one for Gamersgate as well if you are interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I bought Alan Wake from there and they just gave me a CD key for steam. But not all games do that from there, some of them have to be downloaded with their downloader "capsule" and played through that

Marzarmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Marzarmy
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts
[QUOTE="Frosal"]Depends on the game. I can't even find To the Moon on Steam. I did find this -- http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/17/to-the-moon-rocketing-to-steam-soon-play-it-so-its-not-your-la/ Here's a list of games that are on Steam you can check for further reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_games If the game is on the list and is steamworks, there's a good chance you'll get a key that does activate on Steam - the only game I can think of that is the exception is Alan Wake if you buy it from GOG.

ok cool, So i'll just buy it from the actual Freebird games site and i'll get a steam key when it releases on Steam. Thank you sir, and thanks to you all aswell. Btw Don is the Man! great show.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

4 out of the 5 things ive bought fomr GMG worked on steam.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

One way to (kinda) check is search Steam Store for the game. If it's not there, chances are you can't have a Steam version. Though this is not always true (Resonance for example.).
And Greenmangaming typically states that the game requires you to have Steam if it comes with a Steam key.