Icewind Dale VS Baldur's Gate

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ONLYDOD (6026 posts) -
?
#2 Posted by Angurvadal_88 (704 posts) -
I THOROUGHLY enjoyed both, but Baldur's Gate easily gets the win for me, due to more enthralling story, characters and general environments really :) That's just off the top of my head. Naturally, Icewind Dale was still kickass though (mainly because being based on the same engine as BG).
#3 Posted by PC360Wii (4658 posts) -
Baldurs Gate by a mile, in pretty much most aspects.
#4 Posted by Planeforger (16324 posts) -

I voted 'Other' here, because I don't really think that they can be fairly compared.

The IWD games are enjoyable RPGs with an emphasis on dungeon crawling and strategic combat. The BG games are more free-roaming & story driven RPGs with an emphasis on, uh, grand adventuring?

Basically, both series attempted different things, and they both pulled them off quite well.
I don't see the point in arguing that "BG is better because it has a better storyline" or whatever, because storytelling wasn't really the point of the IWD games.

#5 Posted by babyblue2525 (280 posts) -
definitely Baldur's Gate
#6 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Baldur's Gate.
#7 Posted by vash47 (2171 posts) -
Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale was too much hack n' slash for my taste.
#8 Posted by Valkyrie_44 (898 posts) -

I voted other just like Planeforger both titles in their own right are excellent.

#9 Posted by VinnoT (4649 posts) -
I voted Baldurs gate.
#10 Posted by Nocturnal_Speed (1663 posts) -

Baldur's Gate is pretty fun so far, but haven't played it for some time now.

#11 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -
"Butt-kicking for goodness!"
#12 Posted by Angurvadal_88 (704 posts) -

"Butt-kicking for goodness!"dos4gw82

"Go for the eyes Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!! ARRGHHH!!"

The best game EVER made :)

#13 Posted by Angurvadal_88 (704 posts) -

I voted 'Other' here, because I don't really think that they can be fairly compared.

The IWD games are enjoyable RPGs with an emphasis on dungeon crawling and strategic combat. The BG games are more free-roaming & story driven RPGs with an emphasis on, uh, grand adventuring?

Basically, both series attempted different things, and they both pulled them off quite well.
I don't see the point in arguing that "BG is better because it has a better storyline" or whatever, because storytelling wasn't really the point of the IWD games.

Planeforger

Yeah, fully agreed mate, I enjoyed Icewind Dale exactly for that purpose; exploring dungeons and other environments for that lovely loot. A new shiny magical longsword for my main character? Yes please! I mean, even the story I didn't have a problem with at all - I enjoyed it actually - it's just that I enjoyed BG's story more (for the reasons you've stated).

#14 Posted by gozalo (1102 posts) -
BG.
#15 Posted by Gammit10 (2305 posts) -
Definitely the Baldur's Gate series. Story > Hack n' Slash
#16 Posted by zebruter (182 posts) -

definitely the BG series. i thought ID2 was better than the first, but neither can quite compare with BG...

z

#17 Posted by book-wyrm (8 posts) -
Icewind Dale i'd say, i know sacrilege right? but I always found it more addicting I always get the itch to play it again.
#18 Posted by shakmaster13 (7138 posts) -

Baldurs Gate2+ToB>Icewind Dale 2(D&D 3rd edition rules ftw)> Icewind Dale> Baldurs Gate for me.

#19 Posted by krazyorange (2643 posts) -
holy thread resurrection
#20 Posted by Jinroh_basic (6413 posts) -

the first IWD was good but not great, andi actually like IWD2 better than both Baldur's Gate games. imo, 3rd edition DnD > 2nd edition, not to mention the game is already outstanding in itself. action packed and extremely well-paced, it's an absolute blast from start to finish.

as a sidenote... please refrain from reviving necro thread.