I wanna be a pc gamer, please help me.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rpgfan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rpgfan360
Member since 2007 • 465 Posts

Im looking to buy these for some pc games and can you tell me some pc games i should get , if so tell me 3.

This Proccesor

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103037

This Graphic Card

PNY VCG7900SXPB GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Im a basic computer gamer as i play my console more and thats the xbox 360 but maybe i could play some pc games, i already a 1gbram when i first build my computer.and i dont want half life 2.what do you think crysis could do on these specs.i like fps.

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts

MMOs
-World of Warcraft
Guild Wars

RPGs
-Oblivion

RTS's
-Command and Conquer 3
-Company of Heroes
-Supreme Commander
-Warcraft

FPS's
-F.E.A.R.
-Half-Life 2
-Counter Strike: Source
-Doom 3
-Battlefield 2
-Battlefield 2142

Those are just a few though. There's a ton of great games for the PC. Anyone, feel free to add to the list.

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts

Get a 7900GS, except instead of PNY, get an EVGA one. They're usually cheaper, they're more reliable, and they have a lifetime warranty that covers overclocking. Also, are you sure on what socket your motherboard has? Because if you get a CPU with a different socket type you won't be able to use it.

Games to get would be Battlefield 2 and Counter Strike Source for multiplayer, and Far Cry and Fear are great single player games.

Those parts would probably be able to play Crysis on low settings.

rpgfan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rpgfan360

Get a 7900GS, except instead of PNY, get an EVGA one. They're usually cheaper, they're more reliable, and they have a lifetime warranty that covers overclocking. Also, are you sure on what socket your motherboard has? Because if you get a CPU with a different socket type you won't be able to use it.

Games to get would be Battlefield 2 and Counter Strike Source for multiplayer, and Far Cry and Fear are great single player games.

Those parts would probably be able to play Crysis on low settings.

Hot_Potato

im sure about my socket

spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

As stated above, crysis would probably be low to medium (being optimistic here) settings. The games mentioned above are all good games that are worth a try and those should be much kinder to your pc than crysis will be.

Also, please state what genre of games you prefer because the PC has a plethora of games in many different categories even outside the typical FPS, RPG, RTS genres.

edit: if you're shopping for a GPU, i'd suggest this one over the nvidia one

rpgfan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rpgfan360

Im looking to buy these for some pc games and can you tell me some pc games i should get , if so tell me 3.

This Proccesor

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103037

This Graphic Card

PNY VCG7900SXPB GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Im a basic computer gamer as i play my console more and thats the xbox 360 but maybe i could play some pc games, i already a 1gbram when i first build my computer.and i dont want half life 2.what do you think crysis could do on these specs.i like fps.

rpgfan360
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I'd get more ram as you.
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

Yous hould definately visit the hardware forums. Also be prepared to save money. Think about what PC games you want to play though. Most of the high end games like Bioshock, Assasin's Creed, will be available for the Xbox 360.

If you just want to play mid range-low system games like World of Warcraft you don't have to spend that much. Make sure you know what games you're going to want to play. Then post in hardware forums. Plenty of people there.

Also post your system specs over there. You are either A)Better off upgrading or B)Better off building a brand new computer.

Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

I just noticed you are interested in playing Crysis. You're going to need to build a minimum of an 800-1000$ system. That would be a dual core setup with plenty of RAM (Like 2GB), and a powerful processor and video card. All your components must be mid-high end to run that game and let it be enjoyable.

Like I said start saving money. Save enough because if you buy cheap stuff it will break down and run games slow. Visit the hardware forums asap =).

sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts

Ignore the noobs who say a powerful CPU. At a sertain resolution, you will be using more of GPU then CPU. And in DX10 mode, you will be using the GPU instead of the CPU (thats the benifits of DX10). So A decent low end dual core can be more enough, and you can easily overclock.

A x1950xt or whatever can be had for less then 200 if I am correct (or is that x1900xt?). Or you can get yourself the 7900gs, volt mod it, overclock it. But I would just wait, as there will be the 8700 series and such coming out.

Itachi-Uchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Itachi-Uchi
Member since 2005 • 2471 Posts
I own Battlefield 2 and Half Life 2 (along with CS:S) and love them both. Though, I'm a little to into World of Warcarft atm. :P I think I should go back to BF2. Had many good times with that game. Play it with a friend and use VOIP...it's crazy fun!
Avatar image for deactivated-6489064584842
deactivated-6489064584842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-6489064584842
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts

There's lot of games that you can play on your machine.

- Company of Heroes

- Age of Empires 3

- FEAR

- STALKER

- Half Life 2

- Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

- Splinter Cell Double Agent

- Far Cry

- Prey

The only advice I give is that you don't play a game for a long time because your graphic card is new and is possible that you burn your graphic card.

felixzelphyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 felixzelphyn
Member since 2005 • 176 Posts

Ignore the noobs who say a powerful CPU. At a sertain resolution, you will be using more of GPU then CPU. And in DX10 mode, you will be using the GPU instead of the CPU (thats the benifits of DX10). So A decent low end dual core can be more enough, and you can easily overclock.

sepheronX

Are.... are you kidding me? A computer is only as fast as the processor itself. I've got an 8800GTS in my machine, and my AMD 3200 is choking the card to death. If possible, I could have 6 8800GTX's put into a computer, and if the processor wasn't fast enough, the cards would be worthless and only sucking up amps. Sure sure the resolution is dependent on the GPU, and the 8800's chipset allows the card to take physics calculation stress off of the CPU, but if it isn't up to date with the rest of your rig, it'll only hold everything back on it's level. Wait until July 22nd (if your planning on playing some newer gen games, as Intel is dropping their prices) and upgrade to a C2Duo. AMD stopped supporting the 939 socket, so it would be worthless to fork money over for 939 CPU when you'll sooner or later have to upgrade to either an AM2 or whatever socket type Intel is on right now. A nice processor (check in the hardware forums), an up to date Mobo, 2 GB of DDR2 RAM, and even an 8600GT or Raedon's equivelent, and you'll have a great set-up able to handle anything you can throw at it (on max, depending on the resolution) for a year or two.

Avatar image for deactivated-6489064584842
deactivated-6489064584842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-6489064584842
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts

Remember that this is not a hardware forum but a PC games forum.

If you want to argue more about CPUs and graphic cards or other computer components you can do it in a proper forum (PC Hardware Discussion) not in this one.

rpgfan 360 just wanted to know some cool games that we could play on his PC. And besides if he already bought the PC, I am sure that he would buy another one just because of your opinions (computers cost money).

mestizoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 mestizoman
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts
get an x1950xt i believe thats a better deal like 180 bucks or so
sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts

There is a very fine line of bottlenecking. At a certain point, there will be no bottleneck. For instance, at high resolutions, a game will use nothing more then the GPU and Ram. In DX10, it is taking the load off of the CPU and directing it all to the GPU for calculations on nearly everything except for the AI, which is all done through the processor.

There is a thread about bottlenecking, and pretty much telling us we are thinking too much on bottleneck. I agree, there is a soft point till we do get bottleneck, but not as bad as we say it is. Just look around on overclock.net, and you will know what im talking about.

read here You will see at high resolutions, there is a small difference.