I need a new case (with dust filters)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_Yaskoski
Member since 2002 • 501 Posts

Hey,
I currently have an Antec 900 v2 which I hate. The dust filters on it are pointless because to get to them you have to remove both side panels and take out each hard drive caddy with a total of 10+ screws. This is more work than is needed to clean a dust filter! I will be getting a new motherboard that will not fit in a mid-tower case so I need a new Full Tower case.

I want the case to have removable dust filters without me having to open up the case at all, similar to the Corsair Obsidian Series 650D. What full tower cases that you guys like have this feature? Thanks in advance!

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

The HAF X has removable dust filters. Its also BIG

Smoke89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Smoke89
Member since 2003 • 3575 Posts

Urworstnhtmare

this

gumeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 gumeh
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts
i prefer antec 900 with dust filters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8tr9GpxBQ
cole_793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 cole_793
Member since 2005 • 1393 Posts

Urworstnhtmare
Definitely this. I absolutely LOVE my HAF X. It also comes with a guarantee to increase the size of your epeen
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

Smoke89

this

This. This. This. You cannot go wrong with the HAF-X.
adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts

Im getting a Silverstone FT02-B :D, it has dust filters on all fans that slide out to clean :)

Azurites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Azurites
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

Im getting a Silverstone FT02-B :D, it has dust filters on all fans that slide out to clean :)

adam0926

If you dont mind having just 3 hard drives slots get the regular RV-02, or the RV-02-E if you need more slots. Same cooling compablity for cheaper.

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts

I love the clean brushed alu on the FT02 plus I dont like having a window on my computers i like clean and classy pc's :). I only have 3 HDD and a SSD in my PC anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chris_Yaskoski

Any more guys? Thanks for the replies so far!

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

another vote for the ft02. the space behind the mobo tray is a little small but it isn't really a problem if you spend a little time

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chris_Yaskoski

Does the FT02 work ok with EATX Boards?

Also I have heard of problems when mounting 5.25 drives getting in the way of the motherboard expansion slots, any thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
[QUOTE="gumeh"]i prefer antec 900 with dust filters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8tr9GpxBQ

you have to open it to get the filters out.
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Firebird-5

Does the FT02 work ok with EATX Boards?

Also I have heard of problems when mounting 5.25 drives getting in the way of the motherboard expansion slots, any thoughts?

Chris_Yaskoski

it doesn't support some EATX boards, only those within 11" wide. So the standard EVGA classifieds will work, but not the SR-2.

As for the 5.25 drive, I've had no troubles with it.

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chris_Yaskoski

Another question about the FT02. I have heard some people having troubles routing their thick power supply AC cables through the top and out the back since the power supply also mounts like the motherboard. Any truth?

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

Another question about the FT02. I have heard some people having troubles routing their thick power supply AC cables through the top and out the back since the power supply also mounts like the motherboard. Any truth?

Chris_Yaskoski

That I can tell you is not true. I have the RV02, which is pretty much the same case but less classy-looking, and I can route my power cable just fine.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Firebird-5

Chris_Yaskoski

nope. you may have trouble with a converter (i.e. dvi to vga/whatever) but it's not a problem because you can do it on the other side. having the cables at the top minimises cable spaghetti too :)

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chris_Yaskoski

I like the FT02 but I am not sure it would work. I want to get the EVGA Classified3 which will fit fine BUT I have 3 5.25 drives I plan to install into the case. One of the drives I want to put in is longer and it looks as if it will begin to go into the motherboard's territory. Any thoughts?

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

I like the FT02 but I am not sure it would work. I want to get the EVGA Classified3 which will fit fine BUT I have 3 5.25 drives I plan to install into the case. One of the drives I want to put in is longer and it looks as if it will begin to go into the motherboard's territory. Any thoughts?

Chris_Yaskoski

Did you actually even look at the HAF X?

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chris_Yaskoski

[QUOTE="Chris_Yaskoski"]

Urworstnhtmare

Did you actually even look at the HAF X?

Yes I did however I though the motherboard orientation on the FT02 was a cool idea making it my first choice. If people say that my 5.25 drive will not fit in it though I may need to look more into the HAF X.

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chris_Yaskoski

Anyone have any experience with the size limits of 5.25 drives in the FT02?

Azurites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Azurites

Chris_Yaskoski

'

Look at the RV2 if you only need 3 hard drive spots or RV2-E if you need more. Same exact design as FT02, but alot cheaper.

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chris_Yaskoski

[QUOTE="Chris_Yaskoski"]

Azurites

'

Look at the RV2 if you only need 3 hard drive spots or RV2-E if you need more. Same exact design as FT02, but alot cheaper.

Newegg pulled up nothing for RV2. Link?

Azurites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Azurites

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=silverstone+Rv02&x=0&y=0

edit: I believe its alot cheaper on amazon due to shipping

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chris_Yaskoski

Wow, what is the advantage of the FT02 then with the RV02 being so similar and a lot cheaper?

Also anyone have exzperience with 5.25 drive sizes in these cases?

Azurites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Azurites

Wow, what is the advantage of the FT02 then with the RV02 being so similar and a lot cheaper?

Chris_Yaskoski

FT-02 is unibody, thats why its so expensive. Cooling wise, its the exact same thing, You might wanna wait for the RV03 though, its suppose to come out any day now.

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ravenguard90

[QUOTE="Chris_Yaskoski"]

Azurites

FT-02 is unibody, thats why its so expensive. Cooling wise, its the exact same thing, You might wanna wait for the RV03 though, its suppose to come out any day now.

It's been launched. You can find information on it at Hexus. To be honest though, I prefer the RV02 Evolution than both the FT02 and the RV03. The cost/benefit ratio of the RV02 Evolution trumps both those cases by a mile.

Azurites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Azurites

[QUOTE="Azurites"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Yaskoski"]

ravenguard90

It's been launched. You can find information on it at Hexus. To be honest though, I prefer the RV02 Evolution than both the FT02 and the RV03. The cost/benefit ratio of the RV02 Evolution trumps both those cases by a mile.

I agree about the FT02, dunno anything about the RV03. The regular RV02 is also a very good deal if your fine with the limited hdd space, they added air penetrators to those too, and have the same cooling performance.

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chris_Yaskoski

The RV03 does not look like it would fit the EATX EVGA Classified 3 motherboard I want to put in. Opinions?

Also still NO opinions on longer 5.25 drives in these cases :(

Also what is different about the RV02 vs the RV02-E?

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ravenguard90

The RV03 does not look like it would fit the EATX EVGA Classified 3 motherboard I want to put in. Opinions?

Also still NO opinions on longer 5.25 drives in these cases :(

Chris_Yaskoski

What do you mean by 'longer'? Are they longer than your typical disk drive? If not, you'll be fine. If they are though, then you're gonna have to look elsewhere.

As for supporting your Classified 3, it looks like it'll fit in the RV03, as it supports video cards up to 13.58" long. Your board is only 10.375" in width, so it should fit.

Although honestly, I'd prefer getting the RV02-E out of the two.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Chris_Yaskoski"]

Azurites

the FT02 having no plastic (aside from under the mesh on the top) and not looking like a ricer gamen case also comes into play. it really depends if you like the look though.
Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chris_Yaskoski
  • The longest 5.25 drive I have is 7 & 3/4 inches long. My question is in the FT02, RV02, RV02-E, or RV03, will this drive fit or will it start going into the motherboard's territory?
  • As far as the EATX Classified 3 fitting in the RV03, I am worried it will be too long and hit the single fan on the back of the case. Thoughts?
  • What changed between the RV02 & RV02-E?

Thanks guys! :)

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ravenguard90

• The longest 5.25 drive I have is 7 & 3/4 inches long. My question is in the FT02, RV02, RV02-E, or RV03, will this drive fit or will it start going into the motherboard's territory?
  • As far as the EATX Classified 3 fitting in the RV03, I am worried it will be too long and hit the single fan on the back of the case. Thoughts?

Chris_Yaskoski

Wow, that is a large drive :? Anyways, you will need to look elsewhere, as my drive is barely 7 inches and is already fighting for room for its power cables.

Because you're dealing with such large hardware, I'd suggest looking into the HAF 932 and HAF X cases, as they are both spacious enough for E-ATX motherboards, as well as being able to support such long drives more easily. If you don't want that type of look though, you could also look into the ATCS 840.

Chris_Yaskoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chris_Yaskoski

[QUOTE="Chris_Yaskoski"]

ravenguard90

Wow, that is a large drive :? Anyways, you will need to look elsewhere, as my drive is barely 7 inches and is already fighting for room for its power cables.

Because you're dealing with such large hardware, I'd suggest looking into the HAF 932 and HAF X cases, as they are both spacious enough for E-ATX motherboards, as well as being able to support such long drives more easily. If you don't want that type of look though, you could also look into the ATCS 840.

Would the RV01 work perhaps? Are there ANY other 90 degree mounted mobo cases? Does the RV01 have dust filters?

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ravenguard90

Would the RV01 work perhaps? Are there ANY other 90 degree mounted mobo cases? Does the RV01 have dust filters?

Chris_Yaskoski

Well, considering I don't have that specific case, I can't tell you for sure. Although it looks like it may run into the same clearance problem.

As for 90-degree motherboard layouts, Silverstone is the only one I know of that does it.