I know why GTA IV fails..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingeliran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kingeliran
Member since 2005 • 1069 Posts

GTA IV fails because of 2 simple things.

Money!: during the game your trying to make money doing everything for money, getting loads of it after hard work, but wait?! what the hell we can do with it?

NOTHING just buy few cheap weapons and suits (and sex) oh! and a hotdog or nuts!, thats why your killing half of new york so you can buy Hotdogs!!

this is where GTA IV fails and for example "Scarface the game" was great, because they knew players will work for money and want to ENJOY with that paycheck, and buy tons of cool toys!

Power!: after you kill and do nausty things for the Mafia you would expect to gain some power in the world, maybe even have some goons to come with you (instead of dawyne goons) or even be able to get a mansion with bodyguards or somthing like that but no... your still a lowlife after killing dons and destroying half of the city..

Money & Power- thats where GTA IV fails those features are Must have in an Open-world crime game.

overall: GTA IV is a good action shooter game with some nice missions and great storyline but thats all i enjoyed Gta san andreas, mafia and scarface alot more!

I Hope Saint Row 2 will be much better hit by the way it looks..

iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts
dude gta 4 is just not the same anymore the move ment in gta it just feels weird and the missions are boring from the start till the end
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts

I keep hearing about this great story in GTA IV and I have to say I don't see it. All I saw was repititive mission after repititive mission, most of which had already been done in previous GTA games and in Mafia (and done much better), just to find one guy to get revenge on. And don't even get me started on the endings, which makes you feel like you just wasted 30 hours. What you do in this game has NO effect on the ending except for your choice on the second to last mission, and that's just lazy game design.

I do, however, think that it is a technical marvel (despite the lack of optimization), but gameplay wise it is the biggest disappointment of the year

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
.... gameplay wise it is the biggest disappointment of the year

Zam
You're not the first to say that, which really keeps me wondering how this game got a 10 rating.
stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 stele29
Member since 2008 • 551 Posts
The story is actually pretty good. Its all the gameplay in between the cutscenes that generally sucks...lol
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

Ican't understand how people say bad things about GTA IV and this game got maximum rates at many sites.

Well, i bought it yesterday, and today i'm gonna give it a try, it can't be that bad, i still trust gamespot.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

I blame all the cuss words :)

Plus its WAY WAY OVER-RATED!

JeansForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JeansForever
Member since 2008 • 317 Posts
who cares that it fails at those points? I'll still buy it:P just for the sake of being run over by a car xD
Avatar image for SinzOfTheFallen
SinzOfTheFallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SinzOfTheFallen
Member since 2008 • 121 Posts
It's actually a pretty decent story..i'm only about 10% into it, but, you can tell they really took time to develop the characters and perhaps that's what you're having issues with. A lot of movies, for example, when they do this, people consider it boring and etc..perhaps you expected too much Van Damm action.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10556 Posts

GTA IV fails because of 2 simple things.

Money!: during the game your trying to make money doing everything for money, getting loads of it after hard work, but wait?! what the hell we can do with it?

NOTHING just buy few cheap weapons and suits (and sex) oh! and a hotdog or nuts!, thats why your killing half of new york so you can buy Hotdogs!!

this is where GTA IV fails and for example "Scarface the game" was great, because they knew players will work for money and want to ENJOY with that paycheck, and buy tons of cool toys!

Power!: after you kill and do nausty things for the Mafia you would expect to gain some power in the world, maybe even have some goons to come with you (instead of dawyne goons) or even be able to get a mansion with bodyguards or somthing like that but no... your still a lowlife after killing dons and destroying half of the city..

Money & Power- thats where GTA IV fails those features are Must have in an Open-world crime game.

kingeliran

agree with that. the story stagnates a bit half way through because despite your progress you are still nothing but an errand boy, you just happen to be running errands for more powerful people. you never get to splash your cash, you dont even buy your houses, you are given them. you may as well be paid in weapons vouchers and taxi fares as thats all you really spend my money on.

despite this i still really enjoyed it and its still one of my gotys. with a bit more attention to these areas it could have been something really special. as it stands vice city is still my favourite in the series

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
I agree, at least Vice City had some scarface-esque feel to it. Nothing to do in liberty city any more.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
The only thing keeping Grand Theft Auto 4 from falling flat on its face is the Euphoria physics. The game would be absolutely NOTHING without them.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
It fails because the constant stuttering makes it unplayable.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
People say it fails cause they cant run it perfectly... I got my perfect balance between Graphics and Framerate and the game is awesome
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Best-review-ever.
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
The only thing keeping Grand Theft Auto 4 from falling flat on its face is the Euphoria physics. The game would be absolutely NOTHING without them.GodLovesDead
this
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zam

It's actually a pretty decent story..i'm only about 10% into it, but, you can tell they really took time to develop the characters and perhaps that's what you're having issues with. A lot of movies, for example, when they do this, people consider it boring and etc..perhaps you expected too much Van Damm action.SinzOfTheFallen

Actually they don't really take advantage of strong characters established early in the game. After the initial few hours, characters like Roman are cast aside so you can do mundane missions for hours and hours and the game will occasionally go back those characters just to get the "story" going and obviously at the end to tie things together. But its not done in a satisfying manner.

CateArcherNOLF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 CateArcherNOLF
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
i felt like an idiot driving from spot A to B over and over and over again...i did that the whole game in GTA: SA, i did the same in GTA3 and GTA:VC...and again in GTA4...its time to update the gameplay...and it got 10 scores everywhere omg ROCKSTAR paid for all reviews, it doesnt even have great graphics...
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts
Its pretty obvious the original poster didn't get far into the game, because this game is so much better than its predecessors. The more I play the more I am convinced of that. It does start out a bit slow and repetitive, but it seems like this is to let you get a handle on how the controls etc work. But the new missions, the game play, it's head and shoulders above any of the other GTA games. I absolutely LOVE the bank job mission, one of my favorites and the first time I have any real cash in the game (my little ugly eastern European is getting dates now). Sorry but have to disagree with the OP, and I can see why this game easily scores a 9.0
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
i felt like an idiot driving from spot A to B over and over and over again...i did that the whole game in GTA: SA, i did the same in GTA3 and GTA:VC...and again in GTA4...its time to update the gameplay...and it got 10 scores everywhere omg ROCKSTAR paid for all reviews, it doesnt even have great graphics...CateArcherNOLF
On the 360, the game is ugly as sin. The story is terrible also. It's just a mishmash of oddball characters who are cast aside. You get forced into a romance with a character (if you like her or not) and it's just...terrible.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
even before coming to pc, GTA4 has already become one of the best rated AND best selling games ever created. i really don't think i need to say more.
stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stele29
Member since 2008 • 551 Posts

even before coming to pc, GTA4 has already become one of the best rated AND best selling games ever created. i really don't think i need to say more. Jinroh_basic

That proves nothing. Crappy games have done that before, but time always wins. Myst anyone? Besides, most of GTAIV's sells came in the first week when all we had were grossly inaccurate reviews by people who couldn't imagine the game being anything less than 11 out of 10. One last thought, best selling games are often the best rated games, because there are many people who refuse to buy games that don't review well. Its the same with movies..if you only have X dollars to spend your going to try to use it on quality products. GTAIV's graphics alone should have lowered the score a bit. It was a blurry unoptimized mess. Most people who thought they were great were prob console only players who have no idea what kinda of crap they are being fed. I don't really blame Rockstar tho. The PS3 and 360 are drastically underpowered for what we were told they would do.

Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zam

Its pretty obvious the original poster didn't get far into the game, because this game is so much better than its predecessors. The more I play the more I am convinced of that. It does start out a bit slow and repetitive, but it seems like this is to let you get a handle on how the controls etc work. But the new missions, the game play, it's head and shoulders above any of the other GTA games. I absolutely LOVE the bank job mission, one of my favorites and the first time I have any real cash in the game (my little ugly eastern European is getting dates now). Sorry but have to disagree with the OP, and I can see why this game easily scores a 9.0tkemory

The bank job mission was done better in Mafia IMO. Also, GTA IV stole many missions from Mafia including the church shootout, where you drive away in a car with cofin in the back (Which was so much better in Mafia).

Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 Hellboard
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
ehhm no scarface sucked balls!
nakedalien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nakedalien
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I like the game so much, that those things don't even bother me. Sure it would be nice if you'd be able to buy great things with your money, but well it's not possible and I'm okay with it.
Shattered007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Shattered007
Member since 2007 • 3139 Posts
Man, I don't get it. The try to say away from the gofy **** and people bash them for it. OP, yes money and power really would eh helped make the game feel a little more progressive but the story doesn't suck. Despite the fact that GTA4 is getting wipe more than any other gta4 I've seen on these forums it still is selling extreamly well. Chances are they wont go back to jetpack wearing, sky diving, base jumping, airplain flying stuff like that again. On another note, If you're plaining to pick up the 360 verison, in The Lost and The Damned, looks like you have a gang backing you up ths time.
zaibutzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#27 zaibutzu
Member since 2004 • 1276 Posts
Niko jus ain't as cool as tommy vercetti. When you be different by introducing a different culture of people, you have to compromise the setting, atmosphere and feel. But this must happen or every game will be the same.