I havent seen much attention for this amazing game: Path of Exile

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

http://www.pathofexile.com/

So, its a ARPG thats based off Diablo 2. 

It has a skill system of Final Fantasy 7's materia. Armor has links on it and you can combine skill gems with support gems to give them different effects. I.E a gain life on hit AoE cleave skill with added fire dmg? No Problem. 

It has a talent tree system that is strictly passives, and based off Final Fantasy 10's sphere grid, except you can move ANYWHERE, not just a defined path. If that passive tree looks complicated and overwhelming, its probably because it is. 

Lastly, the game is completely free and not pay to win. It is currently in open beta with no more character wipes according to the devs. 

I have been playing this game for about a month and still having a blast with all the possibilities. Just trying to get the word out about it. Have not see much talk about this on these forums. 

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JohnFifteen12
Member since 2012 • 205 Posts

I was having a lot of fun with it also, but I got burned out on it hard a couple of weeks ago and stopped playing it.

It's a great ARPG, but I've had enough of it for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
I've just started playing it for the first time since closed beta and I'm having a blast. All of my friends are starting to play it too, so the word is definitely getting out there :).
khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

Yep definitly a game that needs more attention. Been playing it non stop for a month. If you liked Diablo 2 or Titan quest you'll love this game.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It's all bound to a server isn't it? It's the one thing that's stopping me getting exited about the game, even if I liked the developers previous stuff.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

I beat it on normal mode and started it on crushing(?) mode but it has some lag issues with its hit counters for me, plus I have two other buds I usually play with and we typically aren't all online at the same time.  However, it's a great ARPG, it's one of those F2P games I wholly endorse and hope a lot more people turn out to play it.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Me and 3 buddies are going to be starting it up soon.  I alredy put many hours into closed beta a year or two ago.  The game seems so promising.  I really like a lot of the ideas and presentation.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I really like the game, but I've been having a lot of issues with the lag.  I need way more responsiveness in my ARPG's, so until that's fixed I'll just put the game mostly on hold.. maybe play every once in a while.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
Some aspects of the game I absolutely love. Other aspects seem really cheap and rushed (like the combat animations).
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Some aspects of the game I absolutely love. Other aspects seem really cheap and rushed (like the combat animations).Mcspanky37
Yeah the animations definitely need some work. They also need to cut back on the amount of crap loot that drops. I'm level 35 in the game and constantly come across weapons/armor that wouldn't have been good when I was level 10
khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

/oos to fix lag

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts
[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"]Some aspects of the game I absolutely love. Other aspects seem really cheap and rushed (like the combat animations).BPoole96
Yeah the animations definitely need some work. They also need to cut back on the amount of crap loot that drops. I'm level 35 in the game and constantly come across weapons/armor that wouldn't have been good when I was level 10

Eventually u get item quality ans rarity gems, I have the same complaint about the crap drops, but people say u need to have those to find items and then drops are fine, but I havent seen it from experience. POE has more depth, but honestly d3 is just more fun to play.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I might not be able to speak for the majority but I think some of us are burnt out on ARPG's. :P Maybe if a developer brought in some sort of innovation to the genre, it might be interesting again. But then, you'll have people that want it to remain conventional.
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Thank you for telling me about this game, I will play it. :D

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Mcspanky37"]Some aspects of the game I absolutely love. Other aspects seem really cheap and rushed (like the combat animations).Advid-Gamer

Eventually u get item quality ans rarity gems, I have the same complaint about the crap drops, but people say u need to have those to find items and then drops are fine, but I havent seen it from experience. POE has more depth, but honestly d3 is just more fun to play.

I haven't played any of the Diablo games. I'm fairly new to the genre with Torchlight 1 being the first that I played. I went back and played some of Titan Quest and then played Torchlight 2. So far I'd say PoE easily has the most depth of what I have played and has a more satisfying difficulty but TL2 was very well polished and had better boss fights. I suppose it'd be better to compare the two once PoE is it of Beta though.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I was having a lot of fun with it also, but I got burned out on it hard a couple of weeks ago and stopped playing it.

It's a great ARPG, but I've had enough of it for now.

JohnFifteen12

Same. A few buddies and I played it a lot for about a week then just stopped.

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

I might not be able to speak for the majority but I think some of us are burnt out on ARPG's. :P Maybe if a developer brought in some sort of innovation to the genre, it might be interesting again. But then, you'll have people that want it to remain conventional.Elann2008

Check out my 2 links. The skill gems and passive tree add a level of complexity that is almost a entire other game in itself. The currency system, which is also the crafting system(you have to choose to upgrade your items or save the currency to use as trade)adds so many aspects to freshen up the genre. 

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Its ok.  Just another generic and forgettable action RPG.  I played it for maybe 3 hours and got tired of it that quickly.  The environments are extremely boring and generic, plus they are randomly generated so they are different every 15 minutes or so which is annoying.  Enemies are what you would expect - your basic skeletons and creatures.  Combat is ok, really nothing different from any other ARPG.  

The only thing that this game does differently and even remotely interesting is the massive skill tree, and even that is deceiving when you dont' look at it closely.  The reason it is so huge is because it might have the same thing repeated over and over again 10 or more times (+ 10 to Dexterity).  It really isn't anything too special other than its size.  

Considering it is free you should definitely give it a try, but don't expect anything special.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Its ok.  Just another generic and forgettable action RPG.  I played it for maybe 3 hours and got tired of it that quickly.  The environments are extremely boring and generic, plus they are randomly generated so they are different every 15 minutes or so which is annoying.  Enemies are what you would expect - your basic skeletons and creatures.  Combat is ok, really nothing different from any other ARPG.  

The only thing that this game does differently and even remotely interesting is the massive skill tree, and even that is deceiving when you dont' look at it closely.  The reason it is so huge is because it might have the same thing repeated over and over again 10 or more times (+ 10 to Dexterity).  It really isn't anything too special other than its size.  

Considering it is free you should definitely give it a try, but don't expect anything special.

hoola
I know everyone has different tastes, but really POE grows on you and combat gets alot better around level 20 or so, 3 hrs is not long enough to get a good feel for a game like this IMO.
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
3 hours is barely scratching the surface of the skill gem possibility, and the unique passive tree combinations. You are entitled to your opinion, however. I have not enjoyed a ARPG this much since D2.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

It is amazing. I was in the closed beta since last summer. It's just way too good. Can't get enough of it.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"]Some aspects of the game I absolutely love. Other aspects seem really cheap and rushed (like the combat animations).BPoole96

The devs have acknowledged that the animations are weak and stiff, and they're actively working on them. They get a little better with every new patch, on the way to "finished" status. The last patch from just a couple days completely changed all of the animations for the Duelist class (which is great because, pre-patch, the Duelist's animations were the worst by far). The drops definitely need some work, and they are getting it. Bunch of new stuff being added all the time. But, part of the game system relies on making good items out of bad ones. With all the consumable, item-altering orbs, you can make any plain white item into something much better. Some of my best items were originally dropped as plain, crappy, white items. After upgrading them to rare, and rerolling the stats a couple times, they're waaaaay better now.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Mcspanky37"]Some aspects of the game I absolutely love. Other aspects seem really cheap and rushed (like the combat animations).the_bi99man

The devs have acknowledged that the animations are weak and stiff, and they're actively working on them. They get a little better with every new patch, on the way to "finished" status. The last patch from just a couple days completely changed all of the animations for the Duelist class (which is great because, pre-patch, the Duelist's animations were the worst by far). The drops definitely need some work, and they are getting it. Bunch of new stuff being added all the time. But, part of the game system relies on making good items out of bad ones. With all the consumable, item-altering orbs, you can make any plain white item into something much better. Some of my best items were originally dropped as plain, crappy, white items. After upgrading them to rare, and rerolling the stats a couple times, they're waaaaay better now.

Yeah I like the ability to alter items. Even if you get a crappy set of stat enhances, you can just clear them all with another orb and try them out again. Another gripe I have is the poor selection of things to buy with the real money store. Like, I want to invest money into the game since I have liek 20 hours played, but having things like my firebals having dragon heads on them like I'm Lu Kang from MK doesn't seem like it's worth $10 to me. I honestly would have rather them just been like Torchlight 2 and had a low entry cost but then have more reasonably prices micro transactions for silly little cosmetic changes like that.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

The game is not trying to be bardie doll dress house or pay2win. The Real money transactions are a means of supporting the devs who provide this game for free.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#25 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I couldn't get into it, I tried a few times, but there aren't enough waypoint portals and its really tedious having to clear the same levels over and over. The maps for the levels are also effing terrible. I'm bored easily by ARPG's in general though so my opinion likely isn't worth anything. 

The game does look very good though. 

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"] Yeah the animations definitely need some work. They also need to cut back on the amount of crap loot that drops. I'm level 35 in the game and constantly come across weapons/armor that wouldn't have been good when I was level 10BPoole96

Yeah I like the ability to alter items. Even if you get a crappy set of stat enhances, you can just clear them all with another orb and try them out again. Another gripe I have is the poor selection of things to buy with the real money store. Like, I want to invest money into the game since I have liek 20 hours played, but having things like my firebals having dragon heads on them like I'm Lu Kang from MK doesn't seem like it's worth $10 to me. I honestly would have rather them just been like Torchlight 2 and had a low entry cost but then have more reasonably prices micro transactions for silly little cosmetic changes like that.

Yeah the real money store is barren right now. But that's also fixing to change. According to the website, they'll be continually adding new things. They'll never sell anything that gives an advantage in the game, since they want to avoid being pay2win, but there will eventually be a bunch of little cosmetic things. They mentioned dyes for coloring armor and weapons, weapon effects, altered skill/spell effects, altered animations, and some other things. They also said they might start  selling passive skill respec points, in case people run out of all the respec points they get from quests, and don't want to search for orbs of regret to respec.

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

Yeah the real money store is barren right now. But that's also fixing to change. According to the website, they'll be continually adding new things. They'll never sell anything that gives an advantage in the game, since they want to avoid being pay2win, but there will eventually be a bunch of little cosmetic things. They mentioned dyes for coloring armor and weapons, weapon effects, altered skill/spell effects, altered animations, and some other things. They also said they might start  selling passive skill respec points, in case people run out of all the respec points they get from quests, and don't want to search for orbs of regret to respec.

I would agree with everything cosmetic, but they would never introduce a way to respec.. That would be pay to win.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Is it available on Steam? Then I might check it out. If not, as already sayed, it being tied to a server / basically an MMO type of server structure it makes it as well pretty unappealing to me, don't want to log in in this kind of games.

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Is it available on Steam? Then I might check it out. If not, as already sayed, it being tied to a server / basically an MMO type of server structure it makes it as well pretty unappealing to me, don't want to log in in this kind of games.

Justforvisit
It is not on steam. Based on how popular the game is and the good things people are saying about it, I can easily see a steam release in the future, but not now when its still in beta.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

It is not on steam. Based on how popular the game is and the good things people are saying about it, I can easily see a steam release in the future, but not now when its still in beta.

Okay, thanks for the info, guess I'll at least check it out then :)