I have over 70 processes running!! Is this a problem?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

When I open up task manager it says I have 74 processes currently. Usually it is about 65, but is this normal? If not what can I do to fix it?

PS: There is about 10 svchost.exe processes running. What are these and are they needed?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I have 55 running.

and svchost is service host, so don't stop that.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

When I open up task manager it says I have 74 processes currently. Usually it is about 65, but is this normal? If not what can I do to fix it?

PS: There is about 10 svchost.exe processes running. What are these and are they needed?

KABCOOL

don't touch svchost

btw, is this is a laptop or a desktop? I ask because laptops often have a few more processes running on average than desktops.

If you want to reduce the number, then use msconfig.exe and prevent things like google and adobe update from starting with Windows. By doing so, you can cut down the number of processes running (on average) and also decrease your boot time.

My desktop currently has 44 processes running.

yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
80 at 2.2gb, before I had 86 at 3gb (no games or anything major.... just one tab and open office)
metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/ i am assuming you are using windoze 7
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I have 42 processes running, only 931 MB of memory used. A lot of your svchost are because of services. Not all of them are needed. In addition, check your startup files. If you're browsing on the net, you really don't need Steam running, for example.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
i have 104 running lol.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I got 140 running... I'm on linux though :D

Yeah 70 seems average just as long as svchost isn't about 40 of the running processes. Then you know there's a problem. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they aren't eating up excessive RAM. I had an issue with FF where it was eating 1.5GB RAM on it's own after closing all but one tab which was google.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
I have about 50, and I keep an eye on that, so 70 doesn't seem excessive. Do not use Task Manager to stop any process except those with your username. It's better to set options in a program that is hogging resources than to crowbar it with Windows. Like tell QuickTime not to do anything unless you say to, like preload or update, and remove Steam from your computer completely and tell Valve to eff off in a strongly worded e-mail. I let things like Java auto-update because I'd never do it, but not QT or AdobeReader because if it becomes a problem, I'll know it, and I don't want a thousand things running in the background.
Abram2456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Abram2456
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Mine is running 60 processes. I have gt 4GB DDR3 RAM. It's annoying windows 7 and my drivers are consuming so much of my RAM but it's unavoidable. I think it's quite normal actually.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

That's fine.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

K thanks for all the help guys!

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

I have about 50, and I keep an eye on that, so 70 doesn't seem excessive. Do not use Task Manager to stop any process except those with your username. It's better to set options in a program that is hogging resources than to crowbar it with Windows. Like tell QuickTime not to do anything unless you say to, like preload or update, and remove Steam from your computer completely and tell Valve to eff off in a strongly worded e-mail. I let things like Java auto-update because I'd never do it, but not QT or AdobeReader because if it becomes a problem, I'll know it, and I don't want a thousand things running in the background.Blistrax

whats with the valve hate?

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]I have about 50, and I keep an eye on that, so 70 doesn't seem excessive. Do not use Task Manager to stop any process except those with your username. It's better to set options in a program that is hogging resources than to crowbar it with Windows. Like tell QuickTime not to do anything unless you say to, like preload or update, and remove Steam from your computer completely and tell Valve to eff off in a strongly worded e-mail. I let things like Java auto-update because I'd never do it, but not QT or AdobeReader because if it becomes a problem, I'll know it, and I don't want a thousand things running in the background.firefluff3

Off topic, but I don't like companies that think they're more important than me. Read my review of Portal 2. I won't discuss it on the Hardware board.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="firefluff3"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]I have about 50, and I keep an eye on that, so 70 doesn't seem excessive. Do not use Task Manager to stop any process except those with your username. It's better to set options in a program that is hogging resources than to crowbar it with Windows. Like tell QuickTime not to do anything unless you say to, like preload or update, and remove Steam from your computer completely and tell Valve to eff off in a strongly worded e-mail. I let things like Java auto-update because I'd never do it, but not QT or AdobeReader because if it becomes a problem, I'll know it, and I don't want a thousand things running in the background.Blistrax

Off topic, but I don't like companies that think they're more important than me. Read my review of Portal 2. I won't discuss it on the Hardware board.

Fair enough.. but it is a steamworks game, and it does have advantages that way. updates and everything, but ah well, your opinion :P

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

74 processes, not idling though. Probably over 65 while idling though.

officialtekniq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 officialtekniq
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I'm running Windows 7 on a 1GB memory laptop, only having less than 35 processes and under 330 threads while idling. With G. Chrome open, that rises to around 40 processes and just under 400 threads being used. Here are the services that I am running. Please do keep in mind, I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your computer, apply the following at your own risk. ---> Open Run and type services.msc <-- -Application information -CNG Key isolation (disable if NOT using WiFi) -COM+ Event System -DCOM Server Process Launcher -DHCP Client -DNS Client (supposedly less stress on CPU at boot) -Extensible Authentication Protocol -Group Policy Client -Microsoft Antimalware Service (I think it's from Microsft Security Essentials) -Network Connections -Network list Service (set to manual) -Network Location Awareness -Network Store Interface Service -Plug and Play -Power -Remote Procedure Call (RPC) -RPC Endpoint Mapper -Security Accounts Manager -System Event Notification Service -Task Scheduler -User Profile Service -Windows Audio -Windows Audio Endpoint Builder -Windows Installer (set to manual) -WLAN Autoconfig This set up disables all the sweet Areo effects. To enable those leave the following services running:- - Desktop Window Manager Session Manager - Themes Also, to leave the "Ready Boost" feature running, do NOT disable the service Superfetch. Tips: 1. Go to run -> msconfig. Go to the start up and uncheck everything that you don't need (I don't have any running). 2. Use iobit uninstaller to get rid of whatever you don't need. -> http://download.cnet.com/IObit-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-75161625.html 3. use iobit driver booster to get updated drivers. ->http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php 4. Use CCleaner to get rid of random $h*t. Good luck.
whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

76 using 3.7 gb - runs very very smooth.

The memory thing will vary depending on how much memory you have - more memory = more usage.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Unpossible. You only have one processor.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Year old thread

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
[QUOTE="officialtekniq"]I'm running Windows 7 on a 1GB memory laptop, only having less than 35 processes and under 330 threads while idling. With G. Chrome open, that rises to around 40 processes and just under 400 threads being used. Here are the services that I am running. Please do keep in mind, I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your computer, apply the following at your own risk. ---> Open Run and type services.msc <-- -Application information -CNG Key isolation (disable if NOT using WiFi) -COM+ Event System -DCOM Server Process Launcher -DHCP Client -DNS Client (supposedly less stress on CPU at boot) -Extensible Authentication Protocol -Group Policy Client -Microsoft Antimalware Service (I think it's from Microsft Security Essentials) -Network Connections -Network list Service (set to manual) -Network Location Awareness -Network Store Interface Service -Plug and Play -Power -Remote Procedure Call (RPC) -RPC Endpoint Mapper -Security Accounts Manager -System Event Notification Service -Task Scheduler -User Profile Service -Windows Audio -Windows Audio Endpoint Builder -Windows Installer (set to manual) -WLAN Autoconfig This set up disables all the sweet Areo effects. To enable those leave the following services running:- - Desktop Window Manager Session Manager - Themes Also, to leave the "Ready Boost" feature running, do NOT disable the service Superfetch. Tips: 1. Go to run -> msconfig. Go to the start up and uncheck everything that you don't need (I don't have any running). 2. Use iobit uninstaller to get rid of whatever you don't need. -> http://download.cnet.com/IObit-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-75161625.html 3. use iobit driver booster to get updated drivers. ->http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php 4. Use CCleaner to get rid of random $h*t. Good luck.

These services should also be enabled.. Background Intelligent Transfer Service - Required for Windows Update (set to manual) Base Filtering Engine - Manages Windows Firewall Cryptographic Services - File signature and Certificate confirmation/updates Protected Storage - Protects your password from access by unauthorized servies, users, and processes Windows Activation Technologies Service - Activates and validates Windows (Disable after activation) Windows Audio Endpoint Builder - Windows Audio will not work without this service Windows Firewall - You need to block most allowed connections, and create custom rules, but Windows Firewall is very powerful if you know how to use it Windows Management Instrumentation - Required to view many menus and Windows interfaces Windows Defender - Protects against Spyware and Viruses Windows Modules Installer - Required for Windows Update Windows Update - Keeps Windows safe through updates Also, WLAN Autoconfig is only required of you're using Wifi

These services are optional, but useful.. Bluetooth Support Service - Required for Bluetooth devices Diagnostic Policy Service - Problem detection and troubleshooting Diagnostic Service Host - Required by Diagnostic Policy Service Diagnostic System Host - Required by Diagnostic Policy Service (set to manual) Disk Defragmenter - Allows Disk Defragmentation (set to manual) Print Spooler - Required for Printers to function Program Compatibility Assistant - Detects Program Compatibility Issues Shell Hardware Detection - Autoplay notification Superfetch - Improves Pagefile file prediction Windows Image Acquisition - Required for using cameras and webcams

To enable / disable services, you should go to Administrative Tools, and then Services...