I have 3 500gb hard-drives installed....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
To duelboot is it just a case of shoving a windows disk in at boot up then chooseing the hard-drive you wanna install to and boot from different harddrives from there or is a bit more complicated then that? ATM i have Windows XP installed. (Go Xp!)
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can only boot from one hard drive. You would install both operating systems on different partitions on that one hard drive and then choose which one to boot into at startup.
Zeke129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Zeke129
Member since 2003 • 11176 Posts
Couldn't you technically install seperate OS's onto each hard drive, and just change which one you boot to in the BIOS when you want to switch?
SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
Couldn't you technically install seperate OS's onto each hard drive, and just change which one you boot to in the BIOS when you want to switch?Zeke129
That is what i was getting at.... is this possible at all?
jfelisario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 jfelisario
Member since 2006 • 2753 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeke129"]Couldn't you technically install seperate OS's onto each hard drive, and just change which one you boot to in the BIOS when you want to switch?Phantsy16

http://www.osloader.com/

read through the description on that page. 

Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeke129"]Couldn't you technically install seperate OS's onto each hard drive, and just change which one you boot to in the BIOS when you want to switch?Phantsy16

\

Nope. What you do is install the ssecond OS on the second HD. Then when you boot up. you'll be taken to a DOS screen asking you which OS you would like to boot into(For me its windows vista as one choice and "older windows OS" or sumn like that, which is XP as a second choice) Choose what you wanna boot into and it boots. You only have a few seconds to choose though otherwise it automatically boots into the most recently installed OS. This will happen every time you boot up. I know from experience, its what i do.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts
When you install a second OS, the boot loader on your first drive is modified to take into account the other OS. You don't have to do anything.
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
When you install a second OS, the boot loader on your first drive is modified to take into account the other OS. You don't have to do anything.Gog
Right, but the question is, can this be done on two separate drives, or does the GRUB only look at one drive?
chaos386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaos386
Member since 2002 • 3137 Posts

[QUOTE="Gog"]When you install a second OS, the boot loader on your first drive is modified to take into account the other OS. You don't have to do anything.theragu40
Right, but the question is, can this be done on two separate drives, or does the GRUB only look at one drive?

It can be done on separate drives. That's how my computer is set up, actually (XP on one drive, Ubuntu on another).  

LahiruD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LahiruD
Member since 2006 • 2164 Posts

[QUOTE="Gog"]When you install a second OS, the boot loader on your first drive is modified to take into account the other OS. You don't have to do anything.theragu40

I think you can

Install Xp to primary HDD & Vista to Secondery HDD(Example). 

If you install Vista to your secondary HDD it will modify your primary HDD's some files (I don't know which file).

But I Not Sure 

r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts

Ok i will list it all.

If u have only 1 hard disk, then u have 2 have at least 2 partitions, install XP first partition and install vista on the next.

then when when u will boot up your pc u'll get 2 choices either windows vista or earlier version of windows (XP).

if u got 2 or more hard disks. there shouldnt be any problems with which os you should install first, install vista on hard disk 1, xp on hard disk 2.

then if u want to boot xp select the first boot device to hard disk 2, if u want to boot vista choose the first hard disk as the primary boot device.

to me i just have to press f11 to choose from which device the pc should boot.

Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts

[QUOTE="Phantsy16"][QUOTE="Zeke129"]Couldn't you technically install seperate OS's onto each hard drive, and just change which one you boot to in the BIOS when you want to switch?Miguel16

\

Nope. What you do is install the ssecond OS on the second HD. Then when you boot up. you'll be taken to a DOS screen asking you which OS you would like to boot into(For me its windows vista as one choice and "older windows OS" or sumn like that, which is XP as a second choice) Choose what you wanna boot into and it boots. You only have a few seconds to choose though otherwise it automatically boots into the most recently installed OS. This will happen every time you boot up. I know from experience, its what i do.

Yes you can do it with 2 drives. RThere will be NO problems