I got this error message:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Rain_of_Miami
Member since 2004 • 3102 Posts
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. Every time I play Tomb Raider: Legend, I receive an error message. It reads: ERROR: Out of memory requesting 50331648 bytes (47523088 total free) The number values have varied. I don't understand....which memory is it saying I am running low on? I don't believe I am low on memory..... Here are the computer's specifications: - Vista 64 bit. - Intel quad core at 2.67 gigahertz. - 4 gigabytes of random access memory. - 500 gigabyte hard drive cycling at 7,200 rounds per minute. - Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT with 512 megabytes of video memory. - Driver version: 191.07 - Stream processors: 32 - Core clock: 475 Mhz - Shader clock: 950 Mhz - Memory clock: 475 Mhz (950 Mhz data rate) - Memory interface: 128-bit - Total available graphics ... 2303 MB - Dedicated video memory: 512 MB - System video memory: 0 MB - Shared system memory: 1791 MB - Video BIOS version: 60.84.54.00.15 - IRQ: 16 - Bus: PCI Express x16 List of things I've tried: - P.C.I. Express x 16 enabled, disabled, and tied P.C.I. x 1. - Physx enabled and disabled. - Set every single feature within the video card to focus on performance instead of quality, and tried mixed and matched settings, as well. - Adjusted the number of frames the processor prepares before they are processed by the G.P.U.. tried 3 (default value), 1, 8, and none. - Windows XP compatibility mode. - Focused the processor to concern mainly with foreground, as well as background applications. - Page file enabled (at 4 gigabytes and 6 gigabytes) and disabled it altogether. - Everything in msconfig's "startup" tab is disabled. Only the primary operating system services in the "services" tab are enabled, while everything else, as well as services not pertaining to the operating system are disabled. Video card's service is enabled. I did, however, try enabling everything, in case I had something disabled that shouldn't be, but no change occurred. - Played the game on 640 x 480 pixels resolution. - Disabled every single visual feature the game has to offer, excluding "next generation content", which adds more polygons and better textures. But shadows, full-screen effects, water effects, water reflections, depth of field, and anti-aliasing are all disabled (These are the only features the game allows you to adjust). - Completely up to date with all the Windows updates, as well as the latest driver version for the video card. Other games the computer can play: Jericho (Released 2 years ago): All visual features enabled, with the exception of shadows, which is set to off. Resolution: 640 x 480. The game has crashed twice, but it may have been because of the last driver version I was using before this one, or because I had shadows set to high before the 2 crashes occurred. Resident Evil 5 (Released Sep., 2,009): All visual features enabled, with the exception of shadows, which is set to low (There is no "off" option for it). Resolution: 800 x 640 (lowest resolution the game supports). The game has never crashed. When I play Tomb Raider: Legend, the game doesn't stutter while I play (only rarely, if I shoot an explosive barrel or something, but even then, it's hardly notable). This is also considering I play it on 1,024 x 768 pixels resolution, which is considerably higher than the other 2 games I play, yet the frame rate is really good. Because of this, it just seems like my video card is not having a hard time playing the game...so I really don't know what is wrong.... I don't know what else to do....I really want to enjoy the game, but it refuses to play; it crashes so often.... I would like to add one little bit of detail to help everyone in providing a complete reply of this enquiry....When I bought the game, I kept it wrapped tightly in the bag the store put it in, and then put it in my backpack. Now, this country has a really high humidity and is a desert environment. I didn't think anything of it at the time, and kept the game in my backpack for about 5 - 6 hours after I initially bought it. When I took out the game from the bag, the front and back cover were wrinkly, being affected by the humidity, but the game installed off the disk. I've also tried installing the game by copying the files from the disk to the hard drive, and then installing it off the hard drive. They both install successfully, and the disk itself doesn't seem like it has any dirt, scratches, or humidity effects on it. My 7 day exchange exchange limit is past, so exchanging it is impossible. Please base your suggestions upon the facts I've written, as well as the possible effects the humidity could have had on the D.V.D.. I don't think it would be the case, but since I've now exhausted everything I can think of, I need to mention that this happened. Your suggestions would be generous. Thanks so much...
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Have you checked to see if there is a patch for the game?
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rain_of_Miami
Oops! I forgot to mention the game came with the latest patch version on the disk itself (version 1.2).
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rain_of_Miami
Okay. Wow. I just ran another test playing the game, then it crashed and resulted in this error message: ERROR: Out of memory requesting 25165824 bytes (65004400 total free) If you add commas to those numbers, it reads: 25,165,824 needing 65,004,400 available. It states I have more memory than it's asking for, yet it's crashing. So I tried testing the game with Microsoft's Data Execution Prevention (D.E.P.) enabled for all programmes (as opposed to the default, which is just for Microsoft services) and the game returns to the desktop as soon as it reaches the main menu. It loads the opening trailer (before the main menu), but then it crashes and gives this error message: Exception at: 31/12/2009 at 04:15:56 Exception code: Access violation (c0000005): (Write to address: 0x056ae4a0) Exception address: 0x056ae4a0 CPU info: --------- EAX = 0x056ae4a0 EBX = 0x0000009f ECX = 0x056ad618 EDX = 0x00000000 ESI = 0x056ad460 EDI = 0x056ad460 EIP = 0x056ae4a0 ESP = 0x0017f6e8 EBP = 0x0017f8d8 I'm hoping there are some people who are familiar with D.E.P. that can provide some sort of solution to this dilemma. The fact that Tomb Raider crashes immediately after the opening sequence while D.E.P. is enabled means the game is improperly using the system memory. So then it's not my system being incapable to run the game since D.E.P. is shutting it down. This means the game itself is coded in such a poor way that it can't be read efficiently. But then.....why can't I find such a thing about it online of other people experiencing the same thing...? Any support would be generous. Thanks so much...
Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rain_of_Miami
Oh, I forgot to mention I did a complete check disk (from steps 1 to 5), just in case there were any bad sectors that needed fixing.
Avatar image for TrentDondasKhan
TrentDondasKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TrentDondasKhan
Member since 2009 • 372 Posts

One of the Ram sticks may be bad, you can run dignostics on memory in the bios i think..evry computer is different though... How does you computer perform in other games?

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Google is your friend for problems like these. You can almost always find someone else out there that has the problem you have and then a solution to solve it.

Click here for linkif you wish to read the forum posts that I got the info from below.

Post #5, by baggz:

A hack job that seems to work (not happy about it though).

Found out how to enable more config options from some site by editing the registry, to enable them, do the following:

Open up: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Crystal Dynamics/Tomb Raider: Legend

Add a DWORD key named: ExtendedDialog with a value of 1.

Now on your shortcut for trl, add -config at the end of the command.

The only option I changes I made were:

1. Uncheck the "Use 3.0 Shader Features"
  2. Switched to 8x Anisotropic Filtering from 16x

Another person posted that UNCHECKing the 3.0 Shader Features helped solve the problem with the registry hack that baggz posted. I hope this helps you in your quest to solve your problem.

oclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 oclane
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

Have you tried adjusting your system's Virtual memory / page file and is it only this particular game that causes this trouble ?

Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rain_of_Miami
I have tried Google and I have seen that forum post before and tried the suggestions written within it, and none of the information worked out. And yes; as mentioned in my original list of things I have tried, I did try disabling and enabling page file at 4 gigabytes. Other, more recent games do work. So -- I'm stumped...
hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts
[QUOTE="Rain_of_Miami"]I have tried Google and I have seen that forum post before and tried the suggestions written within it, and none of the information worked out. And yes; as mentioned in my original list of things I have tried, I did try disabling and enabling page file at 4 gigabytes. Other, more recent games do work. So -- I'm stumped...

un install the game and re install it