I got my 1080 for free, scalping!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

One early AM around 3am i browsed newegg and they had lots of 1080s in stock, so i bought 4 gtx 1080s of different kinds and sold 3 of them with profit on craigs, etsy and ebay ... and then sold my gtx 980. I pretty much paid nothing for my gtx 1080

Anyone else did something similar? Plan to do it with 1080 ti

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@Hydrolex said:

One early AM around 3am i browsed newegg and they had lots of 1080s in stock, so i bought 4 gtx 1080s of different kinds and sold 3 of them with profit on craigs, etsy and ebay ... and then sold my gtx 980. I pretty much paid nothing for my gtx 1080

You're the worst kind of person.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

Well, that is not free as you had to put up the money to get the cards and then take some time to list, sell and ship them. I say you did well and took advantage of anyone stupid enough to pay a premium for them.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

you didn't get it for free you made a profit on your initial investment, even if you recovered all your investment in the profits its still not free or not for nothing. you had to put up the capital.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Hydrolex said:

If you need to go to that much trouble for a video card, you need to go out more and find some friends.

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hydrolex

@FelipeInside:

What trouble? You must be one lazy slow individual... probably some 15 years old who hasn't seen trouble in work/life yet

Buying, selling, shipping, for all of them took me less than 3 hours, and im exaggerating. That's 200 bucks an hour if you can do math,

Edit: 28k posts... damn. You actually need friends lol

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hydrolex

@BassMan:

I put a fake one on ebay. I was getting big offers... that's when I got the confidence to buy 4 and scalp them

It's just business. Supply and demand. Some people have money, 200 bucks is like 20 bucks for them

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Hydrolex said:

@FelipeInside:

What trouble? You must be one lazy slow individual... probably some 15 years old who hasn't seen trouble in work/life yet

Buying, selling, shipping, for all of them took me less than 3 hours, and im exaggerating. That's 200 bucks an hour if you can do math,

Edit: 28k posts... damn. You actually need friends lol

Yeah I guess the stupid people are really the ones that bought it off you at a premium price.

It's still wrong to do this to people that want to buy the product that is low on stock.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#9 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Topic title is incredibly misleading

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm calling B.S.. You certainly didn't resell any 1080's on Ebay - you'd have to list them at $100+ marked up just to break even. So if you're saying you used Ebay to make a significant profit, I'm going to say no chance. Same goes for Etsy. A brief look at Ebay's recently completed sold listings showed that most people at this point are either barely breaking even or taking a loss.

At most you got $300 for the GTX 980, and $100 profit each from the markups (which obviously never happened). Even if you ideally scalped them, the math only adds up to $600, which doesn't quite afford a 1080.

Maybe if you said you sold them all on Craigslist I'd believe it, but then again having sold around a dozen cards on Craigslist, seems CL users are opposed to buying things at marked up prices.

I put my MSI Gaming X 8G 1080 on Craigslist for 5 days, marked up $40 more than what I paid for it. Got nothing but low ball offers. I live in good sized city too (Seattle). Maybe if you claimed to have done this over a month ago, MAYBE I'd believe it. But naw. 1080's are pretty easy to get. Barely anyone is going to overpay for them at this point.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Hydrolex said:

@BassMan:

I put a fake one on ebay. I was getting big offers... that's when I got the confidence to buy 4 and scalp them

It's just business. Supply and demand. Some people have money, 200 bucks is like 20 bucks for them

I'm sorry, but everything you have posted is incredibly sketchy. "hey man, it's just business, don't hate the playa who is smug for rippin noobs off. oh, and I did my market research by posting fake ads on ebay and fishing for bids"

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hydrolex

@xantufrog:

Lol you have ZERO clue about the real world... probably another 15-16 years old who sits behind his computer all day. Please attend a college in the future, take some business classes as well, learn about supply and demand. Learn that companies like Uber for example, bump their prices up when supply is low and demand is high. Also go out and make some friends with wealthy people who, unlike you, have no problem paying 200-300 dollars extra to enjoy a product 2 months before everyone else. Furthermore, there's nothing sketchy or shady if two individuals come into an agreement about a price and a product.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm pretty sure posting fake listings on ebay is directly against their terms of use. Possibly legally binding, but I'm not sure so I won't go there. I can assure you that my concerns over your post have nothing to do with an ignorance about supply and demand, or - indeed - a lack of education (I know this for a fact, since I hold the highest degree a person can have). Thinking your attitude is sketchy does not = failing to understand that there is a market for flipping things.

Regardless, here's what I'm going to do:

1) I'm going to lock your thread. This has zero discussion value, and you're using it as a platform to pick fights and boast, near as I can tell.

2) I'm going to gently warn you to stop calling users and moderators 15-year-old dullards simply because they don't worship your unparalleled business acumen and practices