I gave into AMD's Spider platform Hype :/

This topic is locked from further discussion.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts

Yep, that's right. I just bought an AMD 790FX MSI motherboard from newegg.com. I also have 2 Radeon HD3870 videocards on the way so I can have a Crossfire setup. One of the cards should be in today, the other one is on backorder. I'm just waiting for the Phenom quad core CPU's now, or more specifically the Black Edition of the Phenom 9600 which is supposed to come out sometime next month. I've read rumors that it's supposed to overclock to 3 GHZ which would really make it an awesome CPU.

And yes I know I could have went the Intel route and made a more powerful machine from a CPU perspective, but then again most games rely heavily on the GPU rather then the CPU so I doubt this machine would run games noticeably slower then an Intel based machine, especially with a crossfire setup. Add 4 GB's of DDR2 1066 ram and a raptor drive and I think this should run Crysis On Very high settings or at least close to it at a nice framerate. *cross fingers*

But like I said, I gave into AMD's marketing hype and feel a little guilty. Oh well, I'm sure this "Spider platform" will perform beyond my expectations and maybe even surprise me.

domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 domke13
Member since 2006 • 2891 Posts

Phenom 9900 clocked at 2,6Ghz cant even beat Q6600 most of the time. AMD obviously cant keep up whit Intel last few months. To bad you didnt go whit Intel... Even if that Phenom you mentioned could OC to 3.0Ghz intel CPUs can also OC not to mention that Phenom has some calculating problems, its slower then Intel when comparing clock to clock (2,4Ghz Q6600 beats 2,6Ghz Phenom), and more..... The guy who reviewed Phenom on lower link was pretty sad and angry.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3153&p=1

The AMD boat is slowly going down and down.........

Btw what resolutin are u planning to run Crysis? Crysis doesnt gain much from SLI/crossfire setups so good luck running it on very high in anything above 1280x1024....

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 karasill

Phenom 9900 clocked at 2,6Ghz cant even beat Q6600 most of the time. AMD obviously cant keep up whit Intel last few months. To bad you didnt go whit Intel... Even if that Phenom you mentioned could OC to 3.0Ghz intel CPUs can also OC not to mention that Phenom has some calculating problems, its slower then Intel when comparing clock to clock (2,4Ghz Q6600 beats 2,6Ghz Phenom), and more..... The guy who reviewed Phenom on lower link was pretty sad and angry.......

Btw what resolutin are u planning to run Crysis? Crysis doesnt gain much from SLI/crossfire setups so good luck running it on very high in anything above 1280x1024....

domke13

True, but like I said. Games rely on GPU's much more then CPU's. I'm sure I could have bought an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and paired with two 3870 videocards in crossfire I'd still be able to run any game no problem, even Crysis. CPU's while veryimportant, are just not required as much for gaming as GPU's are. I mean, it's not like the Phenom CPU's are slow because they are very fast, they're just not as fast as the competition which doesn't really bother me.

Edit: I'll be playing all my games at 1440 * 900. Crysis doesn't gain much from SLI or Crossfire as of now because the game doesn't really support it. Crytek is supposed to release a patch to address this issue. Also AMD is aware that Crossfire is having problems so everything should be fixed with their new 7.11 drivers.

domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 domke13
[QUOTE="domke13"]

Phenom 9900 clocked at 2,6Ghz cant even beat Q6600 most of the time. AMD obviously cant keep up whit Intel last few months. To bad you didnt go whit Intel... Even if that Phenom you mentioned could OC to 3.0Ghz intel CPUs can also OC not to mention that Phenom has some calculating problems, its slower then Intel when comparing clock to clock (2,4Ghz Q6600 beats 2,6Ghz Phenom), and more..... The guy who reviewed Phenom on lower link was pretty sad and angry.......

karasill

True, but like I said. Games rely on GPU's much more then CPU's. I'm sure I could have bought an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and paired with two 3870 videocards in crossfire I'd still be able to run any game no problem, even Crysis. CPU's while veryimportant, are just not required as much for gaming as GPU's are. I mean, it's not like the Phenom CPU's are slow because they are very fast, they're just not as fast as the competition which doesn't really bother me.

The speed isnt really the only problem of Phenom........ Read review.

domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 domke13
Srry for double post. I just noticed Wesker posted AMD Phenom benchmakrs already. Sorry, for posting them again.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="domke13"]

domke13

The speed isnt really the only problem of Phenom........ Read review.

I'ver read a few reviews, I've also read one where it stated that in terms of gaming you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an Intel machine and an AMD machine because when it comes to gaming the Phenom CPUs are pretty close to their Intel counterparts.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 karasill
Srry for double post. I just noticed Wesker posted AMD Phenom benchmakrs already. Sorry, for posting them again.domke13
It's okay. I don't really worry about those things ;) I just gave into the hype because I'm interested to see how the whole "Spider platform" works and how well the hardware works with each other. I think it'll be a really solid platform that won't disappoint when it comes to gaming. This is more of an experiment for me anyway, I make plenty of money so it's not like I can't make a new rig sometime next year if by some slim chance I don't like this one.
domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 domke13

[QUOTE="domke13"]Srry for double post. I just noticed Wesker posted AMD Phenom benchmakrs already. Sorry, for posting them again.karasill
It's okay. I don't really worry about those things ;) I just gave into the hype because I'm interested to see how the whole "Spider platform" works and how well the hardware works with each other. I think it'll be a really solid platform that won't disappoint when it comes to gaming. This is more of an experiment for me anyway, I make plenty of money so it's not like I can't make a new rig sometime next year if by some slim chance I don't like this one.

IMO AMD will have some problems writting drivers for their "Spider platform" whit 4 GPUs. Remember 4x7800 GTX Quad SLI which offered almost same performance as 7800 GTX SLI. hm

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 karasill

[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="domke13"]Srry for double post. I just noticed Wesker posted AMD Phenom benchmakrs already. Sorry, for posting them again.domke13

IMO AMD will have some problems writting drivers for their "Spider platform" whit 4 GPUs. Remember 4x7800 GTX Quad SLI which offered almost same performance as 7800 GTX SLI. hm

Yeah, but I'm not going to go quad GPU on this rig,even though the motherboard supports it. I just like MSI, I've never had a problem with their motherboards. 2 GPU's is enough for me, and I think it'll be enough for any game for a while.
MajinFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MajinFix
Member since 2005 • 480 Posts

read tom's hardware review its tootally different its really confusing I think AMD is loosing due to small software addoption of multi core proccesors

now look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/19/the_spider_weaves_its_web/

GamingMonkeyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 GamingMonkeyPC
Member since 2005 • 3576 Posts

True, but like I said. Games rely on GPU's much more then CPU's. I'm sure I could have bought an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and paired with two 3870 videocards in crossfire I'd still be able to run any game no problem, even Crysis. CPU's while veryimportant, are just not required as much for gaming as GPU's are. I mean, it's not like the Phenom CPU's are slow because they are very fast, they're just not as fast as the competition which doesn't really bother me.karasill

So why don't you just stick with dual core? Quad core doesn't exactly give a ground breaking in-game performance increase...

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/AMD_Spider_Platform__Phenom_790FX_RV670/?page=12

I really don't see why you would want to pay extra money for something you can probably get more out of something else.

navigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 navigas
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts
Wasn't the Phenom sposed to be released in November?
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

domke13

AMD/ATI support with new good drivers, something that Nvidia lacks specially in SLI

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wklzip

Wasn't the Phenom sposed to be released in November?navigas

The Phenom launched today

NEOSPARKING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 NEOSPARKING
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
can one of you smart people, guy with the cat avatar maybe, explain to me if the quad verions of intel mobos can support higher frequencies of ram than the C2D ? Why kind of ram would really go well with a q600 too? I'm having concerns over PC2 ram sticks..and wether there good for C2DS or for Quad cores..
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wklzip

I really don't see why you would want to pay extra money for something you can probably get more out of something else.

GamingMonkeyPC

Agreed.

domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 domke13

can one of you smart people, guy with the cat avatar maybe, explain to me if the quad verions of intel mobos can support higher frequencies of ram than the C2D ? Why kind of ram would really go well with a q600 too? I'm having concerns over PC2 ram sticks..and wether there good for C2DS or for Quad cores..
NEOSPARKING

If you are going whit C2D or C2Q go for 2 or 4GB (2 GB is enough for games though) 800Mhz DDR2 RAM. That is PC2 6400 if i am not wrong. That would be your best bet. But you can also go for 1066Mhz DDR2 Moduls, which are meant more for easier overclocking.. And about your first question. It all depends on what mobo you buy. Basicly any mobo that supports C2D can support C2Q and other way around. I would go for something whit P35 chipset, or X38 if you have money. They are both good choice, and also overclock good...And both should fit RAM i recommended.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 karasill

[QUOTE="karasill"] True, but like I said. Games rely on GPU's much more then CPU's. I'm sure I could have bought an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and paired with two 3870 videocards in crossfire I'd still be able to run any game no problem, even Crysis. CPU's while veryimportant, are just not required as much for gaming as GPU's are. I mean, it's not like the Phenom CPU's are slow because they are very fast, they're just not as fast as the competition which doesn't really bother me.GamingMonkeyPC

So why don't you just stick with dual core? Quad core doesn't exactly give a ground breaking in-game performance increase...

Because I want the spider platform :P Not to mention I have plenty of money to blow and see this as more of an experiement.
vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vicsrealms
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts
I would have waited on the Phenom, at least long enough for the mobo companies to get their bios revision out to support it. From what I have been reading, the new chip has some bugs in it that need a bios revision and a can of RAID +0 or +1 won't work (excuse the pc pun). ~grin~
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 karasill
I would have waited on the Phenom, at least long enough for the mobo companies to get their bios revision out to support it. From what I have been reading, the new chip has some bugs in it that need a bios revision and a can of RAID +0 or +1 won't work (excuse the pc pun). ~grin~vicsrealms
The new motherboards that are based on the 790FX chipset seem to work with the Phenom CPU's no problem. I haven't read anything negative concerning them. Infact I've read good things about them. I've never used Raid 0 so it doesn't bother me if it doesn't work on some motherboards. I prefer raptor drives over Raid 0 anyway.
domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 domke13
[QUOTE="GamingMonkeyPC"]

[QUOTE="karasill"] True, but like I said. Games rely on GPU's much more then CPU's. I'm sure I could have bought an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and paired with two 3870 videocards in crossfire I'd still be able to run any game no problem, even Crysis. CPU's while veryimportant, are just not required as much for gaming as GPU's are. I mean, it's not like the Phenom CPU's are slow because they are very fast, they're just not as fast as the competition which doesn't really bother me.karasill

Because I want the spider platform :P Not to mention I have plenty of money to blow and see this as more of an experiement.

Aw. If you have plenty of money to blow just go whit Intel and 2x8800GT SLI, or 2x8800 GTX. :roll:

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 karasill
[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="GamingMonkeyPC"]

[QUOTE="karasill"]True, but like I said. Games rely on GPU's much more then CPU's. I'm sure I could have bought an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and paired with two 3870 videocards in crossfire I'd still be able to run any game no problem, even Crysis. CPU's while veryimportant, are just not required as much for gaming as GPU's are. I mean, it's not like the Phenom CPU's are slow because they are very fast, they're just not as fast as the competition which doesn't really bother me.domke13

Aw. If you have plenty of money to blow just go whit Intel and 2x8800GT SLI, or 2x8800 GTX. :roll:

I went with the 3870 crossfire option, verycomparable to 2 8800 GT's in SLI mode :roll: I've been using Nvidia cards ever since I've became a PC gamer back in 2003, so I want to try ATI cards now. Besides, I want something kind of quiet and energy efficient. My friend's 8800 GT is kind of loud, the 3870 cards are pretty quiet and also run cooler.

It's not always about super high end uber performance buddy. I look at other aspects of hardware and features too. The Spider platform should not be underrated and has a lot of potential. I especialy like how AMD included a very robust overclocking utilty that works specifically for the Phenom CPU'sand Radeon 3000 series cards. The new chipsets support DDR2 1066 memory, so it saves me the trouble of having to overclock DDR2 800 ram, it also has Hyper Transport 3, PCI Express 2.0, 2000/4000 mhz FSB. I mean there are just so many attractive features that AMD is putting out on this Spider platoform.

Avatar image for RichterBelmont7
RichterBelmont7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RichterBelmont7
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts
The Spider platform is a good one, the CPU is the underwhelming part and even that has its benefits over Intel alternatives.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 karasill
The Spider platform is a good one, the CPU is the underwhelming part and even that has its benefits over Intel alternatives.RichterBelmont7
I agree. The Spider platform is great. However the Phenom CPU's are the weak point of the spider platform,but they are still quite powerful and more then enough for today's games.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wklzip

[QUOTE="RichterBelmont7"]The Spider platform is a good one, the CPU is the underwhelming part and even that has its benefits over Intel alternatives.karasill
I agree. The Spider platform is great. However the Phenom CPU's are the weak point of the spider platform,but they are still quite powerful and more then enough for today's games.

The most tempting part on the Spider platform is the quad crossfire that it supports.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 karasill

[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="RichterBelmont7"]The Spider platform is a good one, the CPU is the underwhelming part and even that has its benefits over Intel alternatives.wklzip

The most tempting part on the Spider platform is the quad crossfire that it supports.

Yeah it's pretty cool, but I wonder how well it'll perform. Dual crossfire has proved itself, let's see how quad does.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wklzip

Yeah it's pretty cool, but I wonder how well it'll perform. Dual crossfire has proved itself, let's see how quad does.karasill

It has been reported that increases performance up to 3.2 times, lets hope future drivers help to increase even more the performance.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 karasill

[QUOTE="karasill"] Yeah it's pretty cool, but I wonder how well it'll perform. Dual crossfire has proved itself, let's see how quad does.wklzip

It has been reported that increases performance up to 3.2 times of a single card, lets hope future drivers help to increase even more its performance.

Very Impressive. Well I only have 2 3870's so regular crossfire will have to do, lol.
Avatar image for RichterBelmont7
RichterBelmont7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RichterBelmont7
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts

[QUOTE="karasill"] Yeah it's pretty cool, but I wonder how well it'll perform. Dual crossfire has proved itself, let's see how quad does.wklzip

It has been reported that increases performance up to 3.2 times, lets hope future drivers help to increase even more the performance.

Well those are the numbers AMD has given which to paraphrase one website should always be taken with a pinch of gourmet sea salt, but 2 card Crossfire has an edge over SLI, we know that much so it may not be too far off.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wklzip
[QUOTE="wklzip"]

[QUOTE="karasill"] Yeah it's pretty cool, but I wonder how well it'll perform. Dual crossfire has proved itself, let's see how quad does.RichterBelmont7

Well those are the numbers AMD has given which to paraphrase one website should always be taken with a pinch of gourmet sea salt, but 2 card Crossfire has an edge over SLI, we know that much so it may not be too far off.

Agreed, we need benchies to prove it, until now normal crossfire is working great for AMD.

vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vicsrealms
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

[QUOTE="vicsrealms"]I would have waited on the Phenom, at least long enough for the mobo companies to get their bios revision out to support it. From what I have been reading, the new chip has some bugs in it that need a bios revision and a can of RAID +0 or +1 won't work (excuse the pc pun). ~grin~karasill
The new motherboards that are based on the 790FX chipset seem to work with the Phenom CPU's no problem. I haven't read anything negative concerning them. Infact I've read good things about them. I've never used Raid 0 so it doesn't bother me if it doesn't work on some motherboards. I prefer raptor drives over Raid 0 anyway.

~sigh~ That pun went over someone's head. Read it again and think of bugs and a can of Raid (you know it kills bugs) then make comments. ~grin~

As for the bugs, Tomshardware mentioned the following: "The bug causes the system to freeze when a certain combination of instructions coincides with extraordinarily high traffic."

Still, the only 790FX chipset motherboard out there seems to be one from MSI with way too many x16 slots and not enough PCI slots. As well as an ASUS board that looks like they ddin't even think about component placement. Which is probably the main reason I am heading Intel in June.