I can't seem to load google.com

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hydralisk86 (8642 posts) -

My computer says something is interfering with my secure connection to google.com. What can i do about it? Why is this happening?

And, what is a good free legal anitvirus program i can use?

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (32079 posts) -

Reboot?

MSE.

#3 Posted by hydralisk86 (8642 posts) -

@MonsieurX: I just installed an antivirus, and rebooted about 5 minutes ago. I still can't load google.com. Is this possibly someone hacking me? I don't know much about this stuff.

#4 Edited by FelipeInside (26600 posts) -

@hydralisk86 said:

@MonsieurX: I just installed an antivirus, and rebooted about 5 minutes ago. I still can't load google.com. Is this possibly someone hacking me? I don't know much about this stuff.

Is it just Google?

How are you loading google? putting the address in?

Is it just Internet Explorer or can you test with other browsers?

Also try resetting your Internet Options (control panel) and delete all the cache. (you can research on the net where to go and how to do it)

#5 Posted by hydralisk86 (8642 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@MonsieurX: I just installed an antivirus, and rebooted about 5 minutes ago. I still can't load google.com. Is this possibly someone hacking me? I don't know much about this stuff.

Is it just Google? I think it's only google. i can run gamespot and cnn.com just fine. i can even run bing.com, but when i try to run an answers.yahoo.com, it says the server's security ticket is not yet valid.

How are you loading google? putting the address in? I type in google.com and then enter into the bar, but it doesn't work.

Is it just Internet Explorer or can you test with other browsers? chrome doesn't work, then i tried internet explorer, it says, "There is a problem with this website's security certificate. the security certificate presented by this website has expired or not yet valid. security certifiate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server. Firefox says something similar to the internet explorer, "this connection is untrusted."

Also try resetting your Internet Options (control panel) and delete all the cache. (you can research on the net where to go and how to do it)

This is what i did on internet explorer:

tools>internet options>general>delete>(then delete the following: temporary internet files,

cookies, history, form data, passwords

it still didn't fix it. I'm worried of possibly being hacked. My PC is very old, from around 2006, so maybe that could make me more open to attacks.

#6 Posted by thehig1 (3546 posts) -

download an Antivirus and run a scan if you have not all ready.

AVG, Avaast or Microsoft Security Essentials are all good free anti virus,

#7 Edited by thehig1 (3546 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

download an Antivirus and run a scan if you have not all ready.

AVG, Avaast or Microsoft Security Essentials are all good free anti virus,

oh have installed an Anti Virus I missed that post.

Have you ran a virus Scan did it come up with anything ?

Also how long ago did Google Stop working, you could check when your PC last created a restore point and restore PC back to then, assuming the date is before you had trouble

#8 Posted by hydralisk86 (8642 posts) -

@thehig1: My computer runs on Windows XP, and the microsoft.com website says they don't have MSE for Windows XP anymore. That might be important info. And, i am installing avast right now.

#9 Posted by thehig1 (3546 posts) -

@hydralisk86 said:

@thehig1: My computer runs on Windows XP, and the microsoft.com website says they don't have MSE for Windows XP anymore. That might be important info. And, i am installing avast right now.

alright Avaast is pretty good, run a scan with it and let it deal with any virus or threat it finds, restart PC and see what happens.

Last resort would be to re-format, if you id suggest upgrading to Windows 7 or 8, you can get them both legsal and very cheap if you are able and willing to burn your own image.

window 8

#10 Posted by hydralisk86 (8642 posts) -
@thehig1 said:

@hydralisk86 said:

@thehig1: My computer runs on Windows XP, and the microsoft.com website says they don't have MSE for Windows XP anymore. That might be important info. And, i am installing avast right now.

alright Avaast is pretty good, run a scan with it and let it deal with any virus or threat it finds, restart PC and see what happens.

Last resort would be to re-format, if you id suggest upgrading to Windows 7 or 8, you can get them both legsal and very cheap if you are able and willing to burn your own image.

window 8

I think i ran avaast, the computer restarted untli there was a sky blue screen. When it restarted, the problem was still there, i can't run google or gmail.com

I am thinking about putting all my important files onto my flash drive and then reformatting. My brother pretty much found out it was not because of the connection, but my computer itself.

My computer is very old, around 8 years old. Pentium D processor, old graphics card. I wonder if it can run Windows 7 or 8. Do u have other advice i could use?