I broke my $2.500 computer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mGard
Member since 2004 • 679 Posts

Hi fellow gamespotters.

I'm posting this thread, because maybe by some miracle you can give me some helpful advise.

I bought a custom-built computer some 2 years ago. I can't recall my exact specs, since i'm on my laptop now, but it was something like:

2 gb.DDR kingston ram.

2.80 gHz intel duo

GeForce 7900 512

Some Asus motherboard.

Now, the other day, i disconnected my computer to clean it. I dragged it out into the kitchen an opened the left side of the case. Everything was very dusty, so i vacuum-cleaned it (very gently) first. Then i took the GeForce 7900 out of it's slot, and cleaned it. (No water) After this i pulled the cooling fan off. (Of the motherboard). It was pretty hard to get out. Had like 4 pins i had to struggle with for a bit, and it was also glued to the motherboard with some kind of blue/grey glue. I got it off and cleaned it. After this i put everything back together, just as before, closed the case and reconnected it with monitor and so on.. I turned the power button at the back of the case on. You know.. The one just under the power-cable. A little green light inside the computer confirmed that the system was powered. Then i tried pushing the "start" button on the front of the computer.

Nothing happened.

I pressed it again and still nothing happened. I sat for a bit, and then suddenly it started! I hadn't touched it. I was pretty happy, but then, after 5-10 seconds it just shuts down. When the power-button is on it starts at random times, but i can't turn it on myself.

Please. I just got assassins creed. I'm dying here! If you have any idea of what it might be. Please speak up.

Thanks!

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
You never ever vacuum your computer, because there is a chance that you could create static electricity and fry your mobo, but I think it could also be you not re-connecting the heatsink for your CPU correctly.
mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mGard

You never ever vacuum your computer, because there is a chance that you could create static electricity and fry your mobo, but I think it could also be you not re-connecting the heatsink for your CPU correctly.TheGTAvaccine

I didn't vacuum on the parts themselfes.. Just a bit around to get the worst of dust away.. is the heatsink vital to the cpu?

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGTAvaccine"]You never ever vacuum your computer, because there is a chance that you could create static electricity and fry your mobo, but I think it could also be you not re-connecting the heatsink for your CPU correctly.mGard

I didn't vacuum on the parts themselfes.. Just a bit around to get the worst of dust away.. is the heatsink vital to the cpu?

Yes, modern CPU's will fry within seconds without proper cooling.

Did you replace the thermal paste when you removed the heatsink and fan. Fresh thermal paste should be used every time you remove the HSF.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Oh dear.........make sure the heatsink is on correctly..........Make sure you plugged in everything correctly. It could be you really screwed something up with the vacuum, go to a Fry's Electronics, Micro Center or Best Buy maybe and look for something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Compressed-Air-Duster-oz-Can/dp/B0008GNQGG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1208441480&sr=8-6
srbbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 srbbnd
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts
Ya m8te, it sounds like you should get a new cooler for your cpu. Your computer starts and then it shuts down. My computer shuts down when I try to OC my cpu. The cpu gets to hot then my computer shuts down. So that would be my guess. However, if that doesn't work you might want to get a new motherboard. Get a 780i ;)
dippy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 dippy88
Member since 2007 • 360 Posts

Oh man why did you have to take it appart!! :P

I did something simular a few weeks back, I spend like £600($1200) on a new PC a pretty decent PC at that, went to set it up, put some wires in wrong and fried my motherboard :P Luckily I didn't **** anything else up :D

But yeah, maybe you fried your CPU you have to put thermal paste on it everytime u take it appart.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
Let me get this straight, you cleaned off the thermal paste?
mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mGard

Let me get this straight, you cleaned off the thermal paste?death1505921

Yes. I guess i did. I'm not that much into computers, and i didn't really know what the paste was. Just thought it to be some kind of glue tohold the pieces together. I cleared off most of the paste.

Does this mean my CPU is fried for certain, or?

Appreciate the feedback.

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 luamhtrad
Member since 2003 • 1997 Posts

[QUOTE="death1505921"]Let me get this straight, you cleaned off the thermal paste?mGard

Yes. I guess i did. I'm not that much into computers, and i didn't really know what the paste was. Just thought it to be some kind of glue tohold the pieces together. I cleared off most of the paste.

Does this mean my CPU is fried for certain, or?

Appreciate the feedback.

:| That's like trying to clean out your engine by removing the old oil and not refilling it with fresh stuff... :|

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mGard

I feel like such an idiot..

Okay. New question:

How do i get to know what socket my motherboard has? For a new CPU..

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ch5richards

I seriously doubt you fried the CPU, at least not from what I have heard.

While you want to have thermal paste, a CPU will run without any, it might run too hot and shut down, but it should not kill the CPU.

Did you remove anything other than the GPU and the HSF? Are you 100% you hooked everything up the way it was before, and did not accidentally disconnect anything?

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
There should be a clip around the CPU socket which has the socket number imprinted on it. The CPU might be fine, the board could be fried who knows :?
bojiang908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bojiang908
Member since 2003 • 546 Posts

Hi fellow gamespotters.

I'm posting this thread, because maybe by some miracle you can give me some helpful advise.

I bought a custom-built computer some 2 years ago. I can't recall my exact specs, since i'm on my laptop now, but it was something like:

2 gb.DDR kingston ram.

2.80 gHz intel duo

GeForce 7900 512

Some Asus motherboard.

Now, the other day, i disconnected my computer to clean it. I dragged it out into the kitchen an opened the left side of the case. Everything was very dusty, so i vacuum-cleaned it (very gently) first. Then i took the GeForce 7900 out of it's slot, and cleaned it. (No water) After this i pulled the cooling fan off. (Of the motherboard). It was pretty hard to get out. Had like 4 pins i had to struggle with for a bit, and it was also glued to the motherboard with some kind of blue/grey glue. I got it off and cleaned it. After this i put everything back together, just as before, closed the case and reconnected it with monitor and so on.. I turned the power button at the back of the case on. You know.. The one just under the power-cable. A little green light inside the computer confirmed that the system was powered. Then i tried pushing the "start" button on the front of the computer.

Nothing happened.

I pressed it again and still nothing happened. I sat for a bit, and then suddenly it started! I hadn't touched it. I was pretty happy, but then, after 5-10 seconds it just shuts down. When the power-button is on it starts at random times, but i can't turn it on myself.

Please. I just got assassins creed. I'm dying here! If you have any idea of what it might be. Please speak up.

Thanks!

mGard

uh oh that's not good man. the blue and gray glue u cleaned off is thermal paste. it helps transfer heat from the cpu to the heatsink then out the fan. if you clean that off.... there could be a problem if you didnt replace more on there. and vacuum.... noooo bad for the pc. use the air spray thing, it's at least safer. so now there are 2 possibilities, 1st is ur mobo which could be fried from the vacuum, 2nd is ur cpu which could of overheated and fried too. try swapping around if u have extra parts.

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
A newer motherboard (like yours) will have thermal shutdown parameters built into the BIOS. There's not really any way your machine should have gotten hot enough for anything to really be ruined, even without thermal paste. But you MUST get new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 is really good stuff) and apply it to the processor (google how to apply thermal paste, you'll find some good directions). Other than that...just make sure things are hooked up properly - you're probably fine.
mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mGard

I seriously doubt you fried the CPU, at least not from what I have heard.

While you want to have thermal paste, a CPU will run without any, it might run too hot and shut down, but it should not kill the CPU.

Did you remove anything other than the GPU and the HSF? Are you 100% you hooked everything up the way it was before, and did not accidentally disconnect anything?

ch5richards

I'm positive that i didn't remove anything else. But i really struggled with the HSF. Everything is conected correctly.. I'm pretty certain about that.

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theragu40
Socket 775 heatsinks are always a struggle, so don't feel bad about having difficulty getting it off. They're just not meant to be removed very often. Just buy new thermal paste, apply it, and you'll be fine. Things should work normally after that.
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ch5richards

Socket 775 heatsinks are always a struggle, so don't feel bad about having difficulty getting it off. They're just not meant to be removed very often. Just buy new thermal paste, apply it, and you'll be fine. Things should work normally after that.theragu40

I don't think overheating is his problem.

He said in his first post that he pressed the power button and nothing happened. Then he pressed it again, and 5-10 seconds later it just cut on.

That sounds like a loose connection, a short, or something. If it was a heat problem it should start just fine and then shut down sooner or later.

**EDIT**

Just thought of this, it's a shot in the dark, but better than nothing. You said "When the power-button is on it starts at random times, but i can't turn it on myself" Do you know where the front panel header is on your motherboard. Specifically where the power switch connects. It is possible this wire came loose, or that the actual power button went out.

If you can find where the power switch connects you can remove the it and just short the pins with a screw driver to rule that out,

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mGard

[QUOTE="theragu40"]Socket 775 heatsinks are always a struggle, so don't feel bad about having difficulty getting it off. They're just not meant to be removed very often. Just buy new thermal paste, apply it, and you'll be fine. Things should work normally after that.ch5richards

He said in his first post that he pressed the power button and nothing happened. Then he pressed it again, and 5-10 seconds later it just cut on.

That sounds like a loose connection, a short, or something. If it was a heat problem it should start just fine and then shut down sooner or later.

Yeah.. That's propably true.. But 1st thing: When i say "power button" i mean the on/off button at the back of the computer. It doesn't turn the computer on, it just powers it. I press it and my system is powered.. A little green lamp confirms it. But the "start" button doesn't do anything. My computer just stays silent after pressing it.

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ch5richards
[QUOTE="ch5richards"]

[QUOTE="theragu40"]Socket 775 heatsinks are always a struggle, so don't feel bad about having difficulty getting it off. They're just not meant to be removed very often. Just buy new thermal paste, apply it, and you'll be fine. Things should work normally after that.mGard

Yeah.. That's propably true.. But 1st thing: When i say "power button" i mean the on/off button at the back of the computer. It doesn't turn the computer on, it just powers it. I press it and my system is powered.. A little green lamp confirms it. But the "start" button doesn't do anything. My computer just stays silent after pressing it.

So it doesn't cut on at all? I thought you said it cuts on by itself after a few seconds. If so read what I added to my previous post.

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theragu40

[QUOTE="theragu40"]Socket 775 heatsinks are always a struggle, so don't feel bad about having difficulty getting it off. They're just not meant to be removed very often. Just buy new thermal paste, apply it, and you'll be fine. Things should work normally after that.ch5richards

**EDIT**

Just thought of this, it's a shot in the dark, but better than nothing. You said "When the power-button is on it starts at random times, but i can't turn it on myself" Do you know where the front panel header is on your motherboard. Specifically where the power switch connects. It is possible this wire came loose, or that the actual power button went out.

If you can find where the power switch connects you can remove the it and just short the pins with a screw driver to rule that out,

Mmm, yeah that's a good point. I forgot about when he said it didn't turn on right away. So OP...am I understanding correctly that it takes 5-10 seconds for the lights in the case to come on after flipping the power switch on the back of the computer? And then after that (without touching the front power switch), the lights go on and off without you doing anything? Because that is much worse than if it was just with the front power switch. Are you able to get the fans in the case running at all for any amount of time? Also - you may want to look around on the mobo...a lot of boards that are not OEM boards have power switches built right into the board, that you could try using in lieu of the front power switch.
mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mGard

I think that maybe you're right. When the power switch was on, (but the computer itself was turned off), i accedently touched the power cable to the motherboard, then it suddenly started. I do think it's the powercable anyway. Consists of 4 wires, that connects into a white thingy.. At the top of the motherboard. I took it out and gave it a look. It looked alright though.

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theragu40
[QUOTE="ch5richards"]

[QUOTE="theragu40"]Socket 775 heatsinks are always a struggle, so don't feel bad about having difficulty getting it off. They're just not meant to be removed very often. Just buy new thermal paste, apply it, and you'll be fine. Things should work normally after that.mGard

I think that maybe you're right. When the power switch was on, (but the computer itself was turned off), i accedently touched the power cable to the motherboard, then it suddenly started. I do think it's the powercable anyway. Consists of 4 wires, that connects into a white thingy.. At the top of the motherboard. I took it out and gave it a look. It looked alright though.

Wait....did you hotplug cables into the board while the power was on? That could potentially be very bad. When the switch on the power supply is on, you don't really want to be messing with wires in the computer, first because you could kill the computer, and second (more importantly) you could shock yourself.
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ch5richards
[QUOTE="ch5richards"]

Is this a custom PC or a pre-built. If pre-built what brand and model. If a custom build, what motherboard and case are you using?

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mGard
[QUOTE="ch5richards"]

[QUOTE="theragu40"]Socket 775 heatsinks are always a struggle, so don't feel bad about having difficulty getting it off. They're just not meant to be removed very often. Just buy new thermal paste, apply it, and you'll be fine. Things should work normally after that.theragu40

**EDIT**

Mmm, yeah that's a good point. I forgot about when he said it didn't turn on right away. So OP...am I understanding correctly that it takes 5-10 seconds for the lights in the case to come on after flipping the power switch on the back of the computer? And then after that (without touching the front power switch), the lights go on and off without you doing anything? Because that is much worse than if it was just with the front power switch. Are you able to get the fans in the case running at all for any amount of time? Also - you may want to look around on the mobo...a lot of boards that are not OEM boards have power switches built right into the board, that you could try using in lieu of the front power switch.

No. When i press the start button, nothing happens... As far as i know, the computer just turns itself on randomly. The fans are running when the computer starts.

What does the following mean:

OP -

Mobo -

OEM -

Yes, i'm pretty noob :P

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mGard
[QUOTE="mGard"][QUOTE="ch5richards"]

Is this a custom PC or a pre-built. If pre-built what brand and model. I a custom build, what motherboard and case are you using?

It's a custom build. I'm using this case: NZXT TRINITY Class Series and the motherboard is.. Some asus.. I don't really know exactly. I'll try and find it

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theragu40
Oh, sorry for lingo. OP = original poster (i.e. - you). Mobo = motherboard. OEM = original equipment manufacturer, among other things. Basically, when people say OEM, they're referring to a prebuilt system from Dell, Gateway, etc.
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ch5richards
[QUOTE="ch5richards"][QUOTE="mGard"][QUOTE="ch5richards"]

Is this a custom PC or a pre-built. If pre-built what brand and model. I a custom build, what motherboard and case are you using?

It's a custom build. I'm using this case: NZXT TRINITY Class Series and the motherboard is.. Some asus.. I don't really know exactly. I'll try and find it

OK according to the case manual, the power switch wire is a Orange and white wire. Do you see this wire coming from the front of the case? Unhook it from where it connect to the motherboard and take a small screwdriver or anything metal and touch the two pins. If it starts then you had a bad connection or a bad power button.

But it would be a rare chance for the power button to go bad just as you were doing other work, but I guess it is possible.

adam92682

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 adam92682
Member since 2002 • 2001 Posts
[QUOTE="mGard"][QUOTE="ch5richards"][QUOTE="mGard"][QUOTE="ch5richards"]

OK according to the case manual, the power switch wire is a Orange and white wire. Do you see this wire coming from the front of the case? Unhook it from where it connect to the motherboard and take a small screwdriver or anything metal and touch the two pins. If it starts then you had a bad connection or a bad power button.

But it would be a rare chance for the power button to go bad just as you were doing other work, but I guess it is possible.

I wouldnt tell him to stick a screw driver in his computer. sticking things in his computer is how his problems began.

might be better to just have the person that built it for him take care of this.

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mGard
[QUOTE="mGard"][QUOTE="ch5richards"][QUOTE="mGard"][QUOTE="ch5richards"]

I found the orange and white wire.. Nothing seemed wrong with it. I took it out and put it back on.. Still no cake. Computer is as silent as ever..So i don't think it's the that wire..

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mGard

Ok. New update:

The power was on and i secured some cables inside.. And WHAM, the computer starts.. I keeps running for like 20-30 seconds, but then a thing hit me.. My monitor didn't respond, and i is plucked intp the GPU like always. Maybe this suggest that there are multiple things wrong?

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ch5richards
[QUOTE="ch5richards"][QUOTE="mGard"][QUOTE="ch5richards"][QUOTE="mGard"][QUOTE="ch5richards"]

I found the orange and white wire.. Nothing seemed wrong with it. I took it out and put it back on.. Still no cake. Computer is as silent as ever..So i don't think it's the that wire..

Did you try and touch the 2 exposed pins with a screwdriver. If it is your actual power button then there is no other way to know.

I really doubt this is your problem, but it is nice to rule out as many thing as possible.

adam92682

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 adam92682
Member since 2002 • 2001 Posts
try reseating the video card
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

It's possible that your computer did not turn on for a bit after hitting the power switch because it takes a bit for electricity to build back up throughout the system if it has been without power for awhile. Just a thought. I never consider it unusual for a first time power up to take a little extra longer.

Also, get some thermal paste if you haven't yet. Put it back on the CPU. Your system is most likely intentionally shutting down (a BIOS setting can control this) when your CPU gets too hot. Does the heatsink fan spin when the PC turns on?

You said that when the power button is on that it turns on at random times. Does this mean that you have the switch on, and the computer will just randomly turn on, then turn off, then turn back on again over and over? Or does this mean that it turns on at weird times after you hit the power switch?

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mGard

It's possible that your computer did not turn on for a bit after hitting the power switch because it takes a bit for electricity to build back up throughout the system if it has been without power for awhile. Just a thought. I never consider it unusual for a first time power up to take a little extra longer.

Also, get some thermal paste if you haven't yet. Put it back on the CPU. Your system is most likely intentionally shutting down (a BIOS setting can control this) when your CPU gets too hot. Does the heatsink fan spin when the PC turns on?

You said that when the power button is on that it turns on at random times. Does this mean that you have the switch on, and the computer will just randomly turn on, then turn off, then turn back on again over and over? Or does this mean that it turns on at weird times after you hit the power switch?

Bgrngod

the HSF spins when the computer is turned on, so i´don't think that it's the CPU overheating. The computer turns on, even though i havent touched the power button..

God, why did i have to clean it..

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 theragu40
The HSF will spin, even when the computer is overheating. If you have no thermal paste, I guarantee your CPU is overheating, and badly. It will take only a few seconds to do so. Also - seriously, don't mess with plugging cords in while the power switch on the back of the tower is on. You're going to short something out or shock yourself. As far as not having video, if nothing else was wrong, I would say that could pretty easily be corrected by clearing the CMOS, but you've got other issues to deal with first.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
Get thermal paste on that CPU. That should be your next step before doing ANYTHING else. It doesn't matter if the heatsink is on it with a working fan. If you have no thermal paste the CPU will not be able to transfer heat off fast enough. It's a must.
mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mGard
Okay.. I'll get some paste. Thanks for all your feedback. I appreciate it.
quocthai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 quocthai
Member since 2005 • 1995 Posts
as all the others said, because you removed all the paste, the first thing you have to do before anything else is to reapply it. Then unplugg all the connectors and plug them back in again this time slowly and carefully. Read the manual if you have it other wise look for the name of the connectors on the mobo so see which is which.
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#41 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
mGard I'd reccomend buying this paste,
mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mGard

mGard I'd reccomend buying this paste,LTZH

Thank you for the tip, though i think i'll check out the IT-store close to my house first. They might have some..

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
ya u took of the paste :( might need new mobo
Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts

[QUOTE="LTZH"]mGard I'd reccomend buying this paste,mGard

Thank you for the tip, though i think i'll check out the IT-store close to my house first. They might have some..

With the PC unplugged...use a cotton swab and a little rubbing alcohol to clean all of the old thermal paste off the CPU and heatsink mating surfaces, prior to applying the new paste. Once the surfaces are clean and have dried off completely, appliy a small amount of thermal paste to the center of the CPU heatspreader (tic-tac sized amount), then use a credit card, or driver's license, or anything with a straight edge to spread the bead of paste evenly over the heatspreader's mating surface. Basically spread it as thinly as you can and still have the metal covered. Once you've applied the paste, carefully reinstalled the heatsink...make sure the four "legs" are secured firmly to the motherboard.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

If you cleaned the paste off, put some new past on and try again. Make sure all the cables are securely connected. Make sure the on switch cord is connected to your motherboard securely.

I would definetely just try more paste first. Read up on how to apply it before you do it.

In the future, never ever take apart anything to clean it unless it's absolutely necessary. You can clean inside the case, but don't disconnect the components. And never take apart the cpu cooler unless you need to replace something.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Your chipset is overheating...
mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mGard

If you cleaned the paste off, put some new past on and try again. Make sure all the cables are securely connected. Make sure the on switch cord is connected to your motherboard securely.

I would definetely just try more paste first. Read up on how to apply it before you do it.

In the future, never ever take apart anything to clean it unless it's absolutely necessary. You can clean inside the case, but don't disconnect the components. And never take apart the cpu cooler unless you need to replace something.

guynamedbilly

Yeah. It's just another lesson learned. I never though the cpu cooler would be such a big deal.. Unfortunately..

mGard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mGard

Okay. Just to close this thread. I took my computer to my local computer store. They tried switching the power supply. And bang, it works.. The next day when i come to get it, they said that it ddn't work, again.. And then the guy in the store tried removing the wireless network card. Whatever they are called. And it worked. My computer is now working. The funn thing is that i didn't touch any of the two parts they replaced/removed. But it works, for now..

Thanks for all the feedback. :) Now i can finally play Assassin's creed.

firebreathing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 firebreathing
Member since 2005 • 4619 Posts
[QUOTE="mGard"]

[QUOTE="TheGTAvaccine"]You never ever vacuum your computer, because there is a chance that you could create static electricity and fry your mobo, but I think it could also be you not re-connecting the heatsink for your CPU correctly.ch5richards

Yes, modern CPU's will fry within seconds without proper cooling.

Did you replace the thermal paste when you removed the heatsink and fan. Fresh thermal paste should be used every time you remove the HSF.

yea, i'd bet my money that that grey blue stuff youc leaned off needed to be there, just go buy some artic silver off newegg or something. putting it on your cpu and heatsink is quite easily. there should be tutorials online with instructions on how to do this. BTW, I've vaccuumed my comp and nothing bad happened.

andyjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 andyjl
Member since 2004 • 612 Posts

Okay. Just to close this thread. I took my computer to my local computer store. They tried switching the power supply. And bang, it works.. The next day when i come to get it, they said that it ddn't work, again.. And then the guy in the store tried removing the wireless network card. Whatever they are called. And it worked. My computer is now working. The funn thing is that i didn't touch any of the two parts they replaced/removed. But it works, for now..

Thanks for all the feedback. :) Now i can finally play Assassin's creed.

mGard

Glad to hears its working now. My first instinct would have been the power supply, I have had cheap power supplies go out just by moving the PC. The thermal paste is great to use, and you should probably put some back on at some point, but in all reality there is no way you could hurt your PC without appling it. Most processors running at idle have about 20-30 degree of overhead before they will shut-down. Thermal paste does not drop the temperature by anything near that amount, so there is no way it could hurt your computer. (unless the heatsink is mounted incorrectly)