I am buying new RAM need help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Meshete450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Meshete450
Member since 2005 • 243 Posts

I currently decided to buy a new RAM at first i saw the Kingston hyperx, but right when i was going to buy it from new egg, i scrolled down and saw the corsair xms for $80. The Kingston is 83$...Which one is better and why? what should i do?

csears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 csears2
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Running: Pentium 3.4 processor on Asus p5nsli 775 with geforce 7900gs and 1.5 gigs of kinston ddr2 ram. I recently installed 2 gigs of Curcial ddr2 by simple placing them in the mobo, starting the computer and the ram appeared to be installed fine despite recognition of only 3 gigs not 3.5. Now the computer frequently freezes and crashes during normal operation and gaming. DId I install it wrong or do i need to flash bios (something never done on this board '07)?

TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts

Both brands are great, and the difference really just comes down to brand-loyalty at this point. So long as it hits on your mobo's compatibility list, you can't go wrong with either.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

personnaly i approve kingston over corsair though it really could go either way. furthermore for the question above its not faulty memory your motherboard isnt ready for that memory speed. im guessing you didnt check to see which your mobo supports and bought any old one thinking it would work.

darx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darx55
Member since 2008 • 1528 Posts
get the memory with lower latencies
cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

im running 4GB kingston hyperx 1066Mhz never game me no problems

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aura_enchanted

yes but your mobo is compatible with it not all are as fortunate.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

Running: Pentium 3.4 processor on Asus p5nsli 775 with geforce 7900gs and 1.5 gigs of kinston ddr2 ram. I recently installed 2 gigs of Curcial ddr2 by simple placing them in the mobo, starting the computer and the ram appeared to be installed fine despite recognition of only 3 gigs not 3.5. Now the computer frequently freezes and crashes during normal operation and gaming. DId I install it wrong or do i need to flash bios (something never done on this board '07)?

csears2
Sounds like bad RAM. Have you tested each DIMM of the new Crucial RAM in Memtest86, as well as the Kingston ones for good measure? (I've had a 1 GB Crucial DDR2 DIMM go bad on me before, though part of that could be because they wanted me to run it at 2.2V, which is pretty high by RAM standards. Then again, the other module in the pair still worked fine.) Also, what are each of the modules rated for, speed-and-timings-wise? As for only seeing 3 GB of RAM total instead of 3.5 GB, that would make sense if your 7900 GS had 1 GB of VRAM (encroaching on the 4 GB memory address limit for 32-bit systems), but I very highly doubt it does. Perhaps that could be a clue to a possible solution-yank out the 512 MB DIMM (the 1.5 GB of Kingston DDR2 consists of one 512 MB stick and one 1 GB stick, correct?) and see if everything gets sorted out.
joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 joshuahaveron
Member since 2004 • 2165 Posts

csears2

Either bad ram, or you bought ram which is incompatiable with your mobo, or you are running it in dual channel with a different ram stick.

supamasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 supamasta
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts
LOL. RAM is RAM, what matters is how much of it you have. So make sure to get the cheapest one u can find so u can have lots.
joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 joshuahaveron

LOL. RAM is RAM, what matters is how much of it you have. So make sure to get the cheapest one u can find so u can have lots.supamasta

No, ram is not ram.There are different latency ram, speeds of ram and types of ram (ddr, ddr2,ddr3)

supamasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 supamasta
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts
Yeah but ppls worry too much about all that crap, RAM is RAM u just plug it in there and the mroe u have the better. Not worth imo spending 40 bucks in 1GB when for the same price u get 2GB or even more... ur PC doesn't care about them RAM pe-degrees LOL.
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
Rofl, oh supamasta, I might just have to put your first comment in my signature, ah lol. Just a heads up, people worry about "that crap" because if they are wrong they lose x amount of cash and don't have anything to show for it. Oh and the PC does care, that's similar to saying "Why worry about about what platform to buy? after all, they are all the same discs and will fit in anything with a disc drive!"
artiedeadat40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 artiedeadat40
Member since 2007 • 1695 Posts

[QUOTE="supamasta"]LOL. RAM is RAM, what matters is how much of it you have. So make sure to get the cheapest one u can find so u can have lots.joshuahaveron

No, ram is not ram.There are different latency ram, speeds of ram and types of ram (ddr, ddr2,ddr3)

Yeah, but as far as brands go he is right. Just go for the best speed, timings at the lowest voltage.

joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joshuahaveron

Yeah but ppls worry too much about all that crap, RAM is RAM u just plug it in there and the mroe u have the better. Not worth imo spending 40 bucks in 1GB when for the same price u get 2GB or even more... ur PC doesn't care about them RAM pe-degrees LOL.supamasta

LOL. I am tempted to put that in my sig so much. :P

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aura_enchanted

[QUOTE="supamasta"]Yeah but ppls worry too much about all that crap, RAM is RAM u just plug it in there and the mroe u have the better. Not worth imo spending 40 bucks in 1GB when for the same price u get 2GB or even more... ur PC doesn't care about them RAM pe-degrees LOL.joshuahaveron

LOL. I am tempted to put that in my sig so much. :P

as am i josh as am i

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

id put that in my sig if my sig wasn't so pretty how ever i belive i must show is incompetence trough a benchmark
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/10/27/low-latency-ddr2-800mhz-versus-1066mhz/1
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/10/27/low-latency-ddr2-800mhz-versus-1066mhz/6

it seem that 920mhz at C5 is better then 1066mhz and 800mhz wondering why tough

artiedeadat40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 artiedeadat40
Member since 2007 • 1695 Posts

id put that in my sig if my sig wasn't so pretty how ever i belive i must show is incompetence trough a benchmark
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/10/27/low-latency-ddr2-800mhz-versus-1066mhz/1
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/10/27/low-latency-ddr2-800mhz-versus-1066mhz/6

it seem that 920mhz at C5 is better then 1066mhz and 800mhz wondering why tough

marcthpro

That is well within the margin of error and proves nothing other than the fact that any of those clocks will not effect your framerates.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aura_enchanted

however not all motherboards take the same memory nor will they take the same amount or support dual channel.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

that i dont know artiedeadrat40 but bit-tech are one of the most accurate unbiased information to get benchmark so i was wondering the fact why some 920mhz at C5 Could Defeat 1066mhz at C5 as the test did show it not the first time i see that i try just to understand the reason behind this : the fact however is still that ram speed & Latency may play a role much higher then 2 GB Vs 4 GB then this guy would Expect Specially in DDR3 vs DDR2

but there no need more then 4GB in most of thing beside When it come to triple channel DDR3 which are excellent to be paired at 3x2GB rather then 3x1GB since they use the memory beside i dont think beside on a core i7 + 2009 to 2010 game such Cryisis and Farcry 2 to make a good usage of 6-8GB or even more at 1920x1200 :

So it show that more ram dont mean better performances in general gaming tough it may shorten the load-times by half see below the benchmark
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/1 iintroduction and sort of brief detail of everything include the test
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/4 load time and task switching test show that 4GB is Great
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/5 framerate test at 1280x1024 & 1600x1200

tough in most of game it seem better to have 2x2GB at 667mhz then 2x1GB at 800mhz for games but the thing i was just trying to show the point of this guy
that memory speed and latency matter but only when you compare 2x1GB Vs 2x2GB that more memory is better ina all overall and there for shall defeat latency and speed but for north america ram are dirt cheap so we can all get 800mhz-1066mhz or higher at low price

Yeah but ppls worry too much about all that crap, RAM is RAM u just plug it in there and the mroe u have the better. Not worth imo spending 40 bucks in 1GB when for the same price u get 2GB or even more... ur PC doesn't care about them RAM pe-degrees LOL.supamasta

unless you where referring to country where computer part are over-expensive or dell.com :P or any pre-build pc id barely see 40$ for a 1GB but 2GB so it can be good sometime to spend 10-15$ extra to get example 2x2GB at 800mhz 4-4-4-12 instead of 2x2GB at 667mhz 4-4-4-12 just tryed to clear stuff up here supamasta nor trying to make fun of you like most of people lol :D because you did shout this loud and quite weird like if you was a young kid that tough it know all or something tough

id say you should be more carefull with ur word when you try to help people you could conduct newbee or more say the people who are new into pc into error just an advice if you post here often good thing that there lot of people that help here i say benchmark are an accurate way to help in resolve question related to hardware