This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

hey guys I'm pretty interested in EVE Online and I was thinking about buying the inferno digital copy from steam. can anyone tell me how the community in the game is and what makes it "game of the year 2011 by mmorpg.com"?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Get ready for a huge learning curve and for other players to try to backstab you, cheat you and rob you...
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 delete-SimplyFatal
The learning curve wouldn't be a problem, its summer. As for the community thats a bit of a turnoff.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
The learning curve wouldn't be a problem, its summer. As for the community thats a bit of a turnoff. SimplyFatal
Don't take it as a turn-off, it's what makes EvE so unique. There are helpful people as well of course. I believe there is a "noob" academy/guild which helps newcomers. Can't remember the name.
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 delete-SimplyFatal
I'll check out the trial and look up the guild. Thanks for your input!
danygo1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danygo1996
Member since 2009 • 377 Posts

hey guys I'm pretty interested in EVE Online and I was thinking about buying the inferno digital copy from steam. can anyone tell me how the community in the game is and what makes it "game of the year 2011 by mmorpg.com"?

SimplyFatal

It's a mix of a sandbox game with an rpg, its not story driven , 90% of the game in my opinion is controlled by the players.

You should start out a trial and see how it goes. Though some people are jackasses and like to mess with new players like stealing your money or making you vulnaerable to there ships and kill you. Some corp's scam players to give them all thier money and stuff like that.

ANd the rest of the game is really complex, you could be a miner or a fighter or both but its preferable to choose just one side. There's massive wars at times and some good corps can guide you in the game.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I am sure it's great if you like the space. I tried it out for like 2 hours and it was so incredibly slow paced. I reminded me of a MUD or a point-and-click game. Most of the place is black, with white kinda like Windows CMD and it felt like I was looking at still pictures just like in a point and click game. You better be seriously patient if you are gonna want to play this...

Seriously it was just so painfully slow. The feeling you get when you tell your ship to go somewhere, and it slowly starts heading there... It's so painfully slow, it's like my muscles started twitching out of impatience. Oh god ... I don't want to start thinking about itagain!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
^^ well it is a space sim....things in space are slow
jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

In my opinion, it's the greatest MMO ever made.

Some highlights:

- Steep learning curve. When you first start, there is a lot to take in. I recommend using the forums for information. Also, join the help channel whenever you decide to make a trial account. The community is ruthless, but they will help you if you genuinely want to learn.

- the community is pretty brutal. There are entire groups of people that dedicate their time to scamming and taking advantage of other players. In fact, scamming is encouraged (but not hacking, password scams, and any real life stuff). Although, the community can be just as helpful as it is unforgiving. When you join try to find a corporation of helpful people. There are very many that will reach out.

- corporations are probably the best part about Eve. The corporations are akin to guilds in other games. Corporations can join with other corporations and form an alliance. Also, corps generally live together ad spend a lot fo time helping each other out. Honestly, it's pretty fantastic if you can find a decent corp.

- Player driven economy. The economy is awesome and the crafting system is so far above and beyond any other game it's shocking at first. The amount of thought that went into blueprints and invention is pretty staggering. Almost every item on the market can be made.

- Don't know what to do? There are many, many activities/careers to choose from. Take a look at this chart to get an idea of how ridiculous this game is.

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

- The skill training is also different. You have skillbooks that you buy, then inject them into your character. After that you can train it up. Every skill goes to level 5, but some take longer than others. A good example is "Caldari frigate" If you train it to level 1 it might take 30 minutes (of real time, not game time, that means it's training even when you're not playing), and level two might take 2 hours, then 8 hours for level 3 and blahblahblah. You get the idea.

I could go on for hours so I'm just going to stop right there. If you have the means to do so, give this game more than two weeks. It deserves 2 months easy. Patience and hard work is required to succeed in this game.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Intense!!! If you don't mind getting your ass kicked in occasions causing you to literally lose hours or days in the game then it's good, if you like playing games where the worst thing that can happen to you is someone beats you to a vein of ore and you find that absolutely appalling and unacceptable then don't bother getting EVE Online. I want more of what EVE Online has in games these days, i wish scamming and treachery were a viable way of playing the game. I mean look at WoW the worst thing you could do was roll on an item you didn't want but Blizzard felt this was too harsh and unacceptable for their cotton-candyland game where everything must be perfect for everyone. EVE Online lets you do what you want when you want, you can attack practically anyone anywhere and be a pirate and just target people who are trading goods and force them to pay you money or you'll destroy their cargo and lose them millions. It's a real sandbox game for real men!
maximusneo7011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 maximusneo7011
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I started awhile back and played a lot for the 14 days. I am not sure I will continue as its a huge time sink and I am short on time.

1st the learning curve has gotten a lot better with the new tutorials. READ THEM and it will make things much easier.

I didn't have and backstabbing issues doing the first few agent missions and never had anyone gank me, also the area of the first epic arc is pretty safe too. Google how to get to the 1st epic arc after the first 6 agents if you don't get it automatically.

The beginners group is called eve university, they give out skill books and reimbursments for them and have online classes and many youtube videos and writeups for how-to's. I joined it and they are incredibly friendly and helpful and will help anyone who is stuck, I do recomment them.

Before you jump in don't assume you are gonna be a pilot and its gonna be fast paced action packed space combat sim, think more you are a captain and you give orders to crew members on what do make the ship do. Also you move fast as hell but everything is so massive at times it can take awhile to get somewhere.

Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Lamb_Jalfrezi
Member since 2002 • 178 Posts
It is a bit like getting mugged on the way home from a very tedious job. Some people love it though.