How to limit download speed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WiLsOn1106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WiLsOn1106
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts

I do not know a lot about computers so here goes.

Situation: I have two computers, one in my room, one in the living room. My parents are constantly on youtube therefore making me lag enough where my latency in online games are too spiky. I don't know much about my internet connection speed except I'm using DSL and I can download at a max rate of 200kbps and my ping/latency is generally solid in games. My guess is when my parents are watching videos on youtube, it downloads at 200kbps making me extremely slow. Is there anyway to cut the download speed of that computer to around 100-150kbps? They're my parents so I don't mind them using it as long as it doesn't lag me like crazy. 100kbps is fast enough for them to stream videos on youtube, does anyone know how I can do this if there is a way? And will their downloading at 2x slower mean better latency for me? Thanks

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
After some Google searching I have seen a couple programs that may be able to do what you want them to do, but none are free. Edit: Actually I have found one program that might be able to help: http://3d2f.com/programs/25-103-softperfect-bandwidth-manager-download.shtml Though I have never used it nor do I know how to.
WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts
If you're living at home it's highly likely that they're paying the internet bill. Thus their bandwith takes precedence over yours. Also if you're living at home it's highly likely that you're not old enough to be online gaming.
WiLsOn1106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WiLsOn1106
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts
Who I am does not concern you, whether I am old enough to play video games or not. I am here to ask a question. And yes, I am 20, I work, I pay my own bills, and yes I still live with my parents. I do not wish to pay more for internet so we both can share. Cutting their bandwidth a bit will not hurt them as 200kbps can download faster than they can watch. Thanks to the person who actually tried to help me instead of critizing me.
mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

you have to get the ISP for your router from the manufacturers website
type the ISP into your web browser
it will pull up the router menu
you can set bandwidth limits on certain ports and/or set a port as high priority

edit-some routers have to be plug directly into the computer to do this
so plug your Ethernet cord into the Ethernet port on your router and straight into the back of your computer after you get your routers ISP of course