How to install cinematic mod 8 (Half-Life 2). Need help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Hi. I'm trying to install the Fakefactory cinematic mod 8 to HL2. I have the original and episodes 1 & 2. I have a 64-bit OS, and my PC is in my sig. Basically, I have all the requirements. I downloaded my files from filefront.com and there are 5 files. So I downloaded all of them, and then I try to run the first one, but then it asks for file # 3. I try clicking file #5 and it asks for file #3 or #4. How do you apply this cinematic mod? The website doesnt give you any instructions or maybe I missed it. Thanks in advance.
#2 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Anyone? :)
#3 Posted by error11 (7163 posts) -
You ran setup.exe rite? That's all you need to do... maybe try re-downloading the files? I dunno, i'm not a doctor.
#4 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

You ran setup.exe rite? That's all you need to do... maybe try re-downloading the files? I dunno, i'm not a doctor.error11

Thank you for the reply. I wish it were that easy to re-download the files. They're only 1.5GB each (6.5GB total) but they download slow everywhere. That's the problem. I'll try it again.

#5 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

Ok it works now.

What I did: When I initially downloaded Part 3, I didnt SAVE FILE, I opened with. That was the problem. I just finished downloading Part 3 again, but this time I chose SAVE FILE, and I ran Part 1, and it worked. Thanks.

#6 Posted by error11 (7163 posts) -

Ok it works now.

What I did: When I initially downloaded Part 3, I didnt SAVE FILE, I opened with. That was the problem. I just finished downloading Part 3 again, but this time I chose SAVE FILE, and I ran Part 1, and it worked. Thanks.

Elann2008

No problem! ;)

#7 Posted by death1505921 (5260 posts) -

Ok it works now.

Elann2008

What's this mod do? I'm interested since I'm playing through HL2 atm.

#8 Posted by error11 (7163 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Ok it works now.

death1505921

Makes the graphics better. I think it's kinda ironic that I saw this topic since I am actually installing CM 8 right now! It's taking forever though. :roll:

#9 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Ok it works now.

error11

Makes the graphics better. I think it's kinda ironic that I saw this topic since I am actually installing CM 8 right now! It's taking forever though. :roll:

Yup, improves the graphics dramatically.

Here are some screenshots:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,646703/Imagegallery/Picture_gallery_Half-Life_2_original_vs_Cinematic_Mod_8_Beta_3/

#10 Posted by death1505921 (5260 posts) -
[QUOTE="error11"][QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Ok it works now.

Elann2008

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,646703/Imagegallery/Picture_gallery_Half-Life_2_original_vs_Cinematic_Mod_8_Beta_3/

Holy awesome. Is it compatible with old saved games?

And P.S. In 8 vs 7, they took away the boobs :(.

#12 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="error11"][QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Ok it works now.

death1505921

Lol, I know. I just found this right now, so I was like dang.. I should have just settled for Mod 7. :P I dont know if they are, but there shouldnt be any problem with saved games. There was no mention about it in the readme file so I dont think there will be a problem.

I believe you can download separate skins for her clothing from bathing suits to other clothing. I saw it on youtube.

NOTE: Make sure you're NOT running a 32-bit OS because it will crash. It was designed for 64-bit because this MOD required tons more space.

#13 Posted by death1505921 (5260 posts) -
[QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="error11"][QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Ok it works now.

Elann2008

Lol, I know. I just found this right now, so I was like dang.. I should have just settled for Mod 7. :P I dont know if they are, but there shouldnt be any problem with saved games. There was no mention about it in the readme file so I dont think there will be a problem.

I believe you can download separate skins for her clothing from bathing suits to other clothing. I saw it on youtube.

NOTE: Make sure you're running a 32-bit OS because it will crash. It was designed for 64-bit because this MOD required tons more space.

Wait, what? I've got windows XP home so it's 32bit. But I didn't get your last sentence. Make sure I'm using 32bit or it'll crash but it was designed for 64bit :S.

#14 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

TECHNICAL INFO:
--------------------------------------------------

This mod's binaries are modified for memory allocation beyond 2 GB. To
prevent STEAM from overwriting this binaries with its own copies on each start,
the mod ist using a little launcher, that reroutes STEAM's original binaries
to >NIL.

Start this mod only with the shortcuts in your start menu (that were
created during installation)!

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS:

- DX9 capable graphics hardware with minimum 256 MB VRAM. (512 MB recommended)
- 3 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:

- Fully installed STEAM Client; You can't start the mod without STEAM running.
- Fully installed and unlocked HL2 / EP1 / EP2; Make shure, you have started those games in the past.

32 BIT WARNING:
--------------------------------------------------

This mod was developed and tested on 64 Bit Windows. It is NOT supported on
32 Bit Windows, because of the limited Userspace with 32 Bit systems. You
can try it on 32 Bit, but prepare for crashes.

On some 32 Bit systems it is possible to overcome this limitation with some
boot.ini switches for raising the userspace limit. I'm not going into
detail here, because those tweaks are dangerous and should only be done by
people, who are knowing exactly, what they do.

ADDENTUM FOR VERSION 7 and 8:

V7 and above of this mod uses much more Hires textures than the previous versions. This
means: The engine has to cache a peak-value of >2GB texturedata at runtime. It's
almost impossible to play this mod crash-free on 32 Bit systems without lowering
the graphics settings.

NOTE, EDIT: Make sure you're NOT running a 32-bit OS because it will crash. It was designed for 64-bit because this MOD required tons more space.

#15 Posted by death1505921 (5260 posts) -

Aww, well that kinda sucks. Although tbh it is my fault.

What kind of differences are there between 64/32 bit besides the memory thing. I still don't understand why MSoft dont solely offer 64bit OS and just scrap the 32bit altogether, that would get rid of all driver issues since 64bit would HAVE to be supported. /shrug

I spose I'll stick with 32bit XP for now, too lazy to upgrade and atm 2gigs of RAM is enough for me. Might get 2x512mb in the future but for now I'll live.

#16 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

What kind of differences are there between 64/32 bit besides the memory thing. I still don't understand why MSoft dont solely offer 64bit OS and just scrap the 32bit altogether, that would get rid of all driver issues since 64bit would HAVE to be supported. /shrug

I spose I'll stick with 32bit XP for now, too lazy to upgrade and atm 2gigs of RAM is enough for me. Might get 2x512mb in the future but for now I'll live.

death1505921

In the future, they might just scrap 32-bit altogether and stick with 64-bit. I dont really know how it works. At the moment, there are just too many users with 32-bit operating systems. It's going to be a WHILE until everything becomes 64-bit. I'm sure it's about $$$. Why would a corporation start off with a 64-bit when they can milk older technology and then milk the next best thing. You can still try and play it. It may crash, but it doesnt mean it will.

It looks gorgeous. Shinier, more crisp, tons more textures. It's truly worth it. Too bad it takes up so much hard drive space. :P But I cant really complain.

#17 Posted by death1505921 (5260 posts) -
[QUOTE="death1505921"]

Elann2008

In the future, they might just scrap 32-bit altogether and stick with 64-bit. I dont really know how it works. At the moment, there are just too many users with 32-bit operating systems. It's going to be a WHILE until everything becomes 64-bit. I'm sure it's about $$$. Why would a corporation start off with a 64-bit when they can milk older technology and then milk the next best thing. You can still try and play it. It may crash, but it doesnt mean it will.

It looks gorgeous. Shinier, more crisp, tons more textures. It's truly worth it. Too bad it takes up so much hard drive space. :P But I cant really complain.

Heh I suppose, are there any draw backs to 64bit? I know the drawbacks of memory on 32bit but drivers are generally easier to find vs 64bit where drivers can be quite hard along with bad compatibility but I havn't really looked into it much.

#18 Posted by musclesforcier (2894 posts) -
[QUOTE="error11"][QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Ok it works now.

Elann2008

I can't see much of a difference, except for Alyx.

#19 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="error11"][QUOTE="death1505921"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Ok it works now.

musclesforcier

I can't see much of a difference, except for Alyx.

Dog looks amazing too. He's all shiny and a lot more detailed. The weapons have more textures too. The ground, rocks, pretty much everything.

Those pictures doesnt do the mod any justice.

#20 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="death1505921"]

death1505921

Heh I suppose, are there any draw backs to 64bit? I know the drawbacks of memory on 32bit but drivers are generally easier to find vs 64bit where drivers can be quite hard along with bad compatibility but I havn't really looked into it much.

I haven't run into any compatibility issues that cant be fixed. The only problem I ran into was Diablo 2, which had a patch for it that fixed 64-bit compatibility. So far that's about it.