How to control bandwidth allocation in a home network?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GazaAli (24035 posts) -

Hello good people of PC forum. I have a simple TP-Link router with 4 Ethernet sockets and wi-fi network. My sister seems to be raping my bandwidth and I really need to do something about it. I don't care if it would limit her bandwidth usage or just spoof her PC and flood it with junk data, anything as long as it gets the job done.

Any thoughts?

#2 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13666 posts) -

It's called QoS and you should look into installing DD-WRT or Open-WRT or Tomato on your router.

#3 Posted by GazaAli (24035 posts) -

@GummiRaccoon said:

It's called QoS and you should look into installing DD-WRT or Open-WRT or Tomato on your router.

I'v been looking at the QoS settings in my router and I can't make anything of it. Also I've been reading about it and it seems QoS is not the answer. It will only prioritize packets sent to one's ISP. And unfortunately, I've looked at all these firmwares and none supports my router.

#5 Edited by FelipeInside (26580 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

I'v been looking at the QoS settings in my router and I can't make anything of it. Also I've been reading about it and it seems QoS is not the answer. It will only prioritize packets sent to one's ISP. And unfortunately, I've looked at all these firmwares and none supports my router.

It's a feature on some routers. If it's not on your router, you're better off just replacing it with one that does have the options. There are ways around this but honestly, it's a lot less painful to just go out and purchase a new better router.

Another idea, is your sister using Wireless? If so you could check if there is a setting to bring the wireless signal data transfer rate down. Some routers have that for compatibility reasons, but you could use it to limit her speed.

#6 Edited by GazaAli (24035 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@GazaAli said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

It's a feature on some routers. If it's not on your router, you're better off just replacing it with one that does have the options. There are ways around this but honestly, it's a lot less painful to just go out and purchase a new better router.

Another idea, is your sister using Wireless? If so you could check if there is a setting to bring the wireless signal data transfer rate down. Some routers have that for compatibility reasons, but you could use it to limit her speed.

She's using Ethernet too. I really can't afford a new router right now...

#7 Posted by FelipeInside (26580 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GazaAli said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Well it's either that or use a spare PC as a router and control bandwidth there, but you have to know a bit about networking to go down that path.

If she is using Ethernet, you really can't control anything unless your router has network port access options.

#8 Edited by GazaAli (24035 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@GazaAli said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GazaAli said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Well it's either that or use a spare PC as a router and control bandwidth there, but you have to know a bit about networking to go down that path.

If she is using Ethernet, you really can't control anything unless your router has network port access options.

Can't I just spoof or flood her PC with junk data? I remember hearing about this being used to free up bandwidth in a semi-public network.

#9 Posted by FelipeInside (26580 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@FelipeInside said:

Can't I just spoof or flood her PC with junk data? I remember hearing about this being used to free up bandwidth in a semi-public network.

You can, but you need your PC to do that, and you're just adding network traffic onto the same network you are using.

#10 Posted by GazaAli (24035 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@GazaAli said:

@FelipeInside said:

You can, but you need your PC to do that, and you're just adding network traffic onto the same network you are using.

How about this:

http://www.arcai.com/netcut-faq/62-what-is-netcut.html

#11 Edited by FelipeInside (26580 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GazaAli said:

@FelipeInside said:

How about this:

Isn't that more of a network analyzer?

#12 Posted by GazaAli (24035 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@GazaAli said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GazaAli said:

@FelipeInside said:

How about this:

According to the description I can control bandwidth usage in my network in the sense that I can just deprive someone on the network from bandwidth. I actually knew about this piece of software for a while and I remember that a friend of mine used it to suck all the bandwidth of the network he was on. He was a part of some primitive neighbors' network arrangement or something I don't know.

#13 Edited by FelipeInside (26580 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

According to the description I can control bandwidth usage in my network in the sense that I can just deprive someone on the network from bandwidth. I actually knew about this piece of software for a while and I remember that a friend of mine used it to suck all the bandwidth of the network he was on. He was a part of some primitive neighbors' network arrangement or something I don't know.

Give it a go then. Normally the best way to do it is from the router but there are software that simulate the same thing. Hopefully you don't have to put your PC into a DMZ zone.

#14 Edited by GummiRaccoon (13666 posts) -

Just install new firmware, DD-WRT, Open-WRT or Tomato. It's not hard, it's babby tier networking. QoS will solve all your problems. Part of QoS is setting a bandwidth limit.

#15 Posted by jcknapier711 (470 posts) -

What makes you think your sister is 'raping' your bandwidth? Did you pay for this bandwidth? Because if you did not, then it's not your bandwidth. It sounds more like there's some slow page you're accessing and you're just impatient, rather than anything your sister is doing.

#16 Edited by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

@jcknapier711 said:

What makes you think your sister is 'raping' your bandwidth? Did you pay for this bandwidth? Because if you did not, then it's not your bandwidth. It sounds more like there's some slow page you're accessing and you're just impatient, rather than anything your sister is doing.

Netflix I guarantee she is probably using Netflix 24 freaken 7.